Real Madrid

Beast

The Observer
All of them save for Varane were already great & mostly established players back then. Isco and Benzema cost 40 million, how on earth is that comparable to signing an 18-year old for 5 million?

My point was that it's not something to worry about if you start signing 17 yo players... it would be like Madrid fans worrying about Adama or Halilovic... the chances of those players turning into actually frightening players are slim to say the least, even if they're stars of whatever sub-18 national team.

I still love the myth that we still get mostly finished products while the fact is apart from Kaka-CR-Benzema-Xabi we have moved from this 80% of the time
None of them were anywhere near established except Benzema and in a way Ozil although he was still young and unproven .. without mentioning very inconsistent with Werder Bremen
Isco had a good season with Malaga too .. Modric ditto although both rose to stardom with RM
Marcelo-Higuain-Varane-Carvajal (one season with Levekusen but home grown ) - Jese (home grown ) all made their names with Real Madrid ...without it they would have joined the long list of player topics that faded away...

it's also quite amazing how most of those who departed can't reach the level they reached in RM.. at best they reach the good not great the last time we regretted a player was Robben/Sneijder

The thing is we are starting to function as we did before Perez ill fated Zidane Y Pavon .. we take high risks in youngsters for so many years now & it mostly work
the return from Loan to the first team or bought back (finally those in charge understood the importance of being brought up with our youth setup) started with the unfortunate De La Red , Arbeloa , Diego Lopez, Callejon all the way now to Carvajal , Kiko Casilla , Casemiro , Cheryshev, Lucas Vasquez

When you invest in an 18-20 year old you are taking a huge risk especially in a high pressure club like RM were there is no room for error and a single mistake can wipe out a great year.. not many can do it... you look at the risks we took in players joining around that age barrier starting with Ramos who joined at the age of 19 after one full season with Seville and went on to make many mistakes to reach this level , Marcelo & Higuain ditto 18-19, Varane same thing
they moved from promising to established in RM .. playing with the most fickle fan & the most intense pressure that broke down many players..
i don't think the old galactico model and the reputation of buying established player still exist .. i can't even recall buying anyone above 25 year old except Diego Lopez who was our own for so many years & bought it due to force major when Iker was out for a long time

Beast

The Observer
Today we start the Audi cup ...excited to see both Borja Mayoral & Marco Asensio... i read that Benitez is a big Mayoral fan ... will be good to see what the kids can do with the big lads

Morten

Today we start the Audi cup ...excited to see both Borja Mayoral & Marco Asensio... i read that Benitez is a big Mayoral fan ... will be good to see what the kids can do with the big lads

If we win the audi cup it will be a glorious pre-season treble :)

Beast

The Observer
Don't really care about the results with a new manager... it only gives you an indication if the manager is in his 2nd + season because it's a build up to previous tactics
Rafa is still tweaking his squad so i see us losing especially without Benz & CR but it will be great to see the new kids

today expected formation vs Spurs are as follows :

Navas; Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Kroos, Modric; Isco/Cheryshev, Bale, James; Jesé

El Gato

Villarato!
Jese hits the crossbar 5 mins in vs Spurs.

They look like twins with Isco, now that the latter shaved his head.

And a great shot stopped by the Spurs keeper. Two big plays from Jese.

Home of Barca Fans