10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morten

Too much of anglophilia here.

Which means there are way too many dumb fans here too who think Milner is the best thing since sliced bread after Liverpool signed him to use an example.

Now I don't know why Madrid got that nickname, especially since they hid under the skirts of a dictator for so much of their history. :neymar:

True, but i guess its natural, we are influenced alot by english/american culture. Still, its ridiculous how biased many here are towards the PL.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
True, but i guess its natural, we are influenced alot by english/american culture. Still, its ridiculous how biased many here are towards the PL.

The tide is changing. Real Madrid getting more and more attention because of Ødegaard hence many people turning Pro-Madrid.

I've got to admit I've grown tired of seeing articles about Ødegaard every single day, even for the smallest of things and not to forget how the papers are trying to display average performances(he's only 16 so that's expected) from him as something phenomenal.

I've always wanted Spanish, German, Italian Football to get more attention here, but not this way. Also it's not the smartest of things to try to paint everything the kid does in a positive light. I hope he doesn't start believing too much into his hype and keep working hard otherwise you could count his future at an elite club as over already.

Trickykid

The tide is changing. Real Madrid getting more and more attention because of Ødegaard hence many people turning Pro-Madrid.

I've got to admit I've grown tired of seeing articles about Ødegaard every single day, even for the smallest of things and not to forget how the papers are trying to display average performances(he's only 16 so that's expected) from him as something phenomenal.

I've always wanted Spanish, German, Italian Football to get more attention here, but not this way. Also it's not the smartest of things to try to paint everything the kid does in a positive light. I hope he doesn't start believing too much into his hype and keep working hard otherwise you could count his future at an elite club as over already.

That's exactly how it was for us Danes back when Gravesen played for RM. It was of course especially rough as he was treated like a world beater here, with his every trip to the toilet being documented in minute details, while he was a walking, talking joke in Spanish and other international medias. Tough times.

Morten

I dont care much about rumors/hype show that is surrounding Ødegaard, mostly i care about how he performs on field. Ofc i hope he gets along well in Madrid, but the media circus is too much.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yes, it's obviously not a formal event, that's why pretty much everyone is wearing suits or blazers. Whether you agree with the criticism or not is another point, but I find it ridiculous that out of 10+ people around him in suits and ties (literally), you pick the only one wearing sandals and a tucked-in shirt to prove it's not a formal event. Besides, jeans and a tucked in shirt are a completely different level of formality to what Messi is wearing. There's literally no one else dressed even remotely like him. I know Messi is god and all, but is it so hard to admit that he's dressed inappropriately? Admitting that is not taking away from his genius as a footballer, ffs.

This has nothing to do with Messi. If it was Ronaldo who got criticized for wearing casual, I would have said the same.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Ok seriously, I laughed when I saw him getting out of the plane just like a wake up call! How do we know actually, maybe it's true. He's on holidays still.
But I saw on a video all the happy people chanting his name and crying, so who cares anyway?
He is a footballer, he doesn't sell weapons for all I know.

I think he flew from Turks and Caicos where he was vacationing by the pool to Gabon directly.

Was he supposed to go pick up a suit after he landed before he was taken to the stadium? :p

lessthanjake

I wouldn't no... but then again I don't have a net worth of more than €200m. How much is €3m compared to that? Peanuts.

I'll happily give away 10% of my income if you gave me that much.

Okay, we'll rephrase that then. Do you think that 1.5% of your net worth (which is what 3 million is to a 200 million net worth) is peanuts ? I highly doubt it. It's a meaningful amount of money to him, for sure. Hell, we know its a meaningful amount of money to him, since he has renegotiated his contract to increase his salary by a similar amount multiple times.

DonAK

Okay, we'll rephrase that then. Do you think that 1.5% of your net worth (which is what 3 million is to a 200 million net worth) is peanuts ? I highly doubt it. It's a meaningful amount of money to him, for sure. Hell, we know its a meaningful amount of money to him, since he has renegotiated his contract to increase his salary by a similar amount multiple times.

Yep. Peanuts for me. Especially if I had that much and would be earning 10x that amount in the next year or so.

Anyway, if you're hell bent on trying to "prove" that Messi took 3m to go to Gabon(even though both Gabon and Messi's team have denied it and are in talks with France Football to withdraw their article and post an apology) as if you'll get a trophy for doing so then go on. I don't have a trophy, but you can get a chocolate cookie from me if you want so.

Stric

Yep. Peanuts for me. Especially if I had that much and would be earning 10x that amount in the next year or so.

Anyway, if you're hell bent on trying to "prove" that Messi took 3m to go to Gabon(even though both Gabon and Messi's team have denied it and are in talks with France Football to withdraw their article and post an apology) as if you'll get a trophy for doing so then go on. I don't have a trophy, but you can get a chocolate cookie from me if you want so.

Another good example of the constant intentional miscommunication on this forum. Neither I nor lessthanjake said anything about him receiving the money, whether he should or shouldn't get paid, whether there's proof, or anything else in that context. All we commented on was the amount itself. All we said was that the 3.5M that was being thrown around is not peanuts, as you said. At that point the discussion was no longer about Messi, Gabon, payment, proof, or anything like that, it was about the ratio of 3.5M to the yearly wages of such a player. The point was that 3.5M would not be peanuts to him, because he doesn't earn 900M a year, but somewhere around 30-40M probably, which would make the 3.5M about 10%. I don't think anyone would consider a 10% raise insignificant. Especially when the 10% is added for no more than a day's work.

By the way, here's a hint: you don't reach a 200M net worth by thinking of 3.5M payments as peanuts.

DonAK

Another good example of the constant intentional miscommunication on this forum. Neither I nor lessthanjake said anything about him receiving the money, whether he should or shouldn't get paid, whether there's proof, or anything else in that context. All we commented on was the amount itself. All we said was that the 3.5M that was being thrown around is not peanuts, as you said. At that point the discussion was no longer about Messi, Gabon, payment, proof, or anything like that, it was about the ratio of 3.5M to the yearly wages of such a player. The point was that 3.5M would not be peanuts to him, because he doesn't earn 900M a year, but somewhere around 30-40M probably, which would make the 3.5M about 10%. I don't think anyone would consider a 10% raise insignificant. Especially when the 10% is added for no more than a day's work.

By the way, here's a hint: you don't reach a 200M net worth by thinking of 3.5M payments as peanuts.

First of all, I didn't even quote you. I was responding to lessthanjake. So thanks for your 'intentional miscommunication'.

And secondly, go back a couple of pages where you'll find said poster being sure about Messi receiving that 3.5m payment despite of Gabon's Gov and Messi's team denying it.

And lastly,

No they don't reach a 200m net worth by thinking of 3.5m payments as peanuts, because his net worth and wage is still on the lower side when he's on his way of getting there. His net worth now 200m and 3.5m for him right now is not a lot at all, atleast it wouldn't be so to me.

Stric

You quoted me on the previous page. And both of us were saying the same thing.

As I said, at that point, it was no longer a matter of whether he received the money or not, but how much it is comparing to his wages. Both of us were saying that. That was the entire reason for this peanuts discussion.

Again, you're absolutely wrong if you think that 3.5M is not a lot to a guy like Messi. It's a whopping 10% of massive yearly earnings (endorsements included). And it's especially huge when you consider that usually it takes him over two months to make that kind of money at the club. And he's one of the top 5 highest paid athletes in the world.

3.5M for a visit would be a gigantic amount of money. And it is an enormous amount of money any way you look at it.

Here's an illustration: Messi could buy the most expensive mansion in the most elite suburb of Barcelona with that money.

Oh, it definitely wouldn't be a lot, at all, to him. :facepalm:

DonAK

@Stric

I quoted you last page about you disagreeing with my notion about those 3m being peanuts and I quoted lessthanjake now for his disagreement with my peanuts comment AND his firm belief that Messi was paid despite of it being denied by both sides.

So I don't get your 'intentional miscommunication' comment, seems like you miscommunicated instead when you took what I said to another poster as something said to you. Anyway, moving on.

Again, I don't think it'd be that much for him, wouldn't be so for me. We can agree to disagree.

Can Messi buy the most expensive mansion in the most elite suburb of Barcelona with that money? Sure he could, but I'd rather take out 3m from my account while relaxing on the beach with my family instead of jetting off to another country during my vacations just for those 3 millions ;)

If you got that much money which you could very easily access, then IMO, it's as good as peanuts. Point is not whether 3m was peanuts for him on his way of building his fortune, but how 3m is not a lot for him now as his net worth is above 200m.

Anyway, didn't intend to come off as a douche above so apologises if it came through that way.

Last edited:

silvia

Messi was on a holiday in Gabon with his friend Deco. right?
then the president just appeared out of nowhere to Messi because of political reason?
then conservative party of the country victimize themselves calling themselves 'banana republic' and
calling him Argentine billianaire?
and who think Leo would pleasantly went Gabon for a money more than a peanut?
that's insane. If he want more money, he can get other schedules comfortably in other country except banana republic.

silvia

Here is a thing.
Messi must not go african country in his holiday.
or his should carry his most classy suit in his suitcase if he mustmust go.
On the day, it was about money(victimizing themselves with income inequality and so on..), after a week it is about his clothes and beard. and even some jealous madridee call him a dictator:(
omg. he is just an athlete.. not politician. don't write a story anymore...:messi:

Last edited:

Holly

LOL.....what a ridiculous media circus around what Messi wears when he visited Gabon....I found it all very hilarious!

Granted he could have dressed a bit better (not formally, just different clothes) and have had a shave, but I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. He is not a politician he just visited the country to lay the first brick for a stadium.

Now considering the last being the real reason for him going there I would say he was properly dressed. After all think about contructionsworkers during the summer...they hardly wear a shirt at all! At least Messi wore a shirt....and usually they are showing a load of butt cleavage...didn't see him doing that either!!! So he was appropriatly dressed for laying the first brick.....

Just another ridiculous statement I know but couldn't be worse than the others I have seen and read so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans