Virgil van Dijk

Arizona Scott

Van Dyke could play for anyone and would improve that team. He has it all, composure, skill, size and leadership. On top of this he is superfast. Varane may be close physically but lacks the command of the back line and calmness and skill with the ball. Hard to think of anyone in his class at the moment.

El Gato

Villarato!
My man, he's also much faster, much better in the air and an actual leader. Not much like Pique IMO.

So far he's got a fine mesh of body-mind akin to Ferdinand-Varane-Puyol and his imperiousness helps him improve Lovren. Unless you're pretty much faultless, that kind of teammate will not respect and cooperate with you. He's stone cold in 95% of cases, but then again, he's not completely impervious to an occasional disaster in a big match (two mistakes vs City already). Basically his biggest issue, if it's not his head (and we know it's not) is likely to be health. Though I don't think he's had a bad track record until now.

PS
It will actually be interesting to see what his career will be like. If they somehow manage to fuck things up this season, have a couple of injuries, this or that and manage to not win here or next year... I can see him looking for a big move. He's only just getting into his prime and wants to win. If he doesn't get it with Liverpool, he has the time to choose alternatives.

Last edited:

El Flaco

BBC's MOTD studio highlighting Van Dijk's remarkable MOTM-performance vs. Wolverhampton a week ago.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/ihekt/ogdoto" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Sorin

Now, now let's not shit on Pique for his current self. In his peak the guy had to contend with peak CRonaldo and Madrid and for the most part he did fantastic. He had years where he was close to the best CB in the world. That year 2015 he was the best CB in the world imo, by some distance. As for his one off performances I still remember that Copa final in 2016 when we were short 1 man after Mascherano was sent of early in the first half iirc. He was immense, easily one of the best performances from a CB that I can remember.

Van Dijk is clearly above him right now and possibly the best CB in the world but just remember that just some weeks ago he had a criminal tackle on Mertens for which he should've been sent off. Now imagine the ref doing his job and Liverpool going out of the CL in the group stages and how would've reflected on him?

I'm all for shitting on Pique's below-par level atm, he's past it I agree, but Van Dijk has to eat some more until he reaches Pique all time status. Not that Pique is one of the best ever but still, the guy came in as a 21 year old and was a first pick CB in a treble winning team in one of the hardest position for a team like us. Guys here talking like he's some schmuck.

That said, the dutch does have the potential of being one of the best in the last decades and that's because he isn't only an athletic CB but he has the leadership qualities of an all time CB. But he has to put this kind of performances year in year out and win trophies in the meantime.

Sorin

Good post.
I'd like to add that 2009-2011 Piqué was clearly the best defender in the world IMO.

Well, I still think that as a complete package, Puyol was still better in that time. There was Lucio from Inter, Rio Ferdinand was still quite good. He was among the best no question though, which is why I find baffling why people are suddenly comparing him to Van Dijk when they are in total different phases of their careers. When he was 23, VvD only dreamt of being as good as 21 year old Pique much less a 23 yo version of him.

serghei

Pique and Ramos both been in the past as well if not better than Van Dijk is now. But Ramos for example is in the game since like forever. Plays for Madrid since 2005, that's almost 14 years ago FFS.

Gnidrologist

Yeah, i was surprised to learn that VD is already 27y old. That's the latest age one can peak and it's mostly downwards from there, but people talk about him like the next big thing. Just solid player in the very good system i think. Pique also benefited from very good system, but was world class at a lot younger age and the same with Ramos, while Puyi was world class in and off no matter what in his mature years.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Yeah, i was surprised to learn that VD is already 27y old. That's the latest age one can peak and it's mostly downwards from there, but people talk about him like the next big thing. Just solid player in the very good system i think. Pique also benefited from very good system, but was world class at a lot younger age and the same with Ramos, while Puyi was world class in and off no matter what in his mature years.
27 for a center back is far from their prime. Center backs can play at a very high level even in their 30s.

vlad

He is 27, since 2015 he started to play in top legaue in average club like southampton, now he is doing good under kloop (lovren also, lovren who was probably most mocked defender in PL before klopp), however my point is he is far away from likes of ramos, pique, even chielini, better compare him to umtiti, varane, stones... thats more realistic ( they are also 2 years younger then van dijk, already achieved more, varane especially)

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was beast in Celtic aged 22-23. Thing is, not many people noticed. Clearly remember when Dinamo played against Celtic how great he looked.
While in Southampton also went under radar for most people.

Home of Barca Fans