Sergiño Dest (loaned to PSV)

Messi983

5/6m NET, under half of Joey Cancel.

Dest was actually alright here aswell when at LB. Being inverted helped curve his tactical naivities somehow.

Cancelo is also twice the player imo. And I'm not his fan and wouldn't pay big fee for him at his age and documented history of falling out with his managers/clubs after some time for whatever reason(s). Paying 30-40m and giving him a 4-5 year contract (will probably have to do with a longer contract to lower yearly cost and then hope to ship him to SA in 2-3 years if/when he declines) just calls for troubles imo.

But looks like the club (or I would say mostly Laporta who loves both Joaos and/or want to do a favor to his amigo Mendes) wants him back and so there is no need to keep Dest whose contract is also expiring next year. Get whatever we can for him from either PSV or offer him to other clubs if they refuse to pay 10m.

Obviously if Cancelo is brought back he'd have to take pay cut like Felix did this season. Regardless if we'll buy him permanently or if it will be another loan (most likely with obligation to buy this time).

Fort shouldn't be considered for first team plans next season under any circumstances.
This will be killing his career before it starts. Let him be the emerging option like this year.

If Cancelo will return then Fort would be a 3rd option at both RB/LB. That's what I've meant. No need to keep Dest for that role if we have Fort.

RB: Cancelo, Kounde, Fort
LB: Balde, Cancelo, Fort

But ofc that's only if Xavi stays. We have no idea how a new coach would want to use Cancelo or Kounde and if he would rate Fort.

There is also a possibility of keeping Julian Araujo and maybe use Faye in that hybrid LCB/LB role similar to Malonso last season. So we have some options even if Cancelo won't return but if he will even more so due to his versatility. And there is also a possibility to sign a LB on a free. And I don't mean an oldie like Alonso but younger players like Sergi Cardona or Miranda. Sure, they are not world beaters but could do their job for a year or two and then possibly be sold for a profit when we'll be able to afford someone better.

That said, Fort should really get regular minutes in BA next season (especially if promoted to Segunda) rather than warming first team bench. The same with Guiu.

khaled_a_d

If Cancelo will return then Fort would be a 3rd option at both RB/LB. That's what I've meant. No need to keep Dest for that role if we have Fort.

The whole discussion is based on inability to get Cancelo due to financial constraints to my understanding at least.

Dest is already registered, so if we can't get Cancelo (hopefully we can) and we were to be badly low balled for Dest sale (hopefully we will get the 10M) then I would consider keeping Dest over counting on Fort as full time back up.

By no mean anyone prefers getting Dest for sake of it.

Co0ter

Has upped his game and receiving a lot of praise lately.
He is also playing very well for the national team, which he often has in the past as well. I was disappointed he didn't player better when here because he is extremely talented, like many not living up to expectations.

Horatio

You're welcome
He is also playing very well for the national team, which he often has in the past as well. I was disappointed he didn't player better when here because he is extremely talented, like many not living up to expectations.
Not to dunk on US team, but can’t rate performances that are against the likes of saint kitts, trinidad and tobago, kiribati, Jaimaca, bahamas and such.

But indeed seems to have developed. Dunno if will ever be enough for barca.

Co0ter

Not to dunk on US team, but can’t rate performances that are against the likes of saint kitts, trinidad and tobago, kiribati, Jaimaca, bahamas and such.

But indeed seems to have developed. Dunno if will ever be enough for barca.
The opposition definitely isn't top rated, but even European teams play plenty of bottom tier countries during qualifiers and friendlies. I'll take an impressive game vs Mexico as a positive.

Either way I doubt Barca will give him another look unless we get a top tier coach who wants to work with him.

Andresito

Staff member
His best skill is maneuvering in very tight spaces (not to confuse with press resistance), which is a skillset nobody really needs when everthing else is sub-par.

Pin him towards the corner flag and he's the best player in the world.

Loki

The injuries keep on giving, huh? Now even loaned players get injured and their value drops. Pretty sure barca thought selling Dest for a decent amount was a given after a good season....

Messi983

No surprises here, PSV have decided not to use their buy option but Peter Bosz said they want Dest back and will negotiate with Barca. We'll probably just let him go for free and include % of future sale.

Porque

Was just about to say, we lost any negotiating leverage after his injury. If we can negotiate any future % + buyback then that will be good enough.

So no Nico Gonzalez buyback basically and we good.

Home of Barca Fans