10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Bollocks is he greater than Zidane.

Sorry but only people over the age of 26 can really truly understand the beauty of Zidane as a player and people will always regard him as alongside such players as el diego, pele, cruyff and puskas.

Messi is a modern day great I am not denying that nor am I denying he one day will probably surpass Zidane but he needs to make a major impact on the world cup to do so imo.
And what did we say?

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It's great to see he's getting back on track, still needs to work a little on his one-on-one finishing, but the two goals yesterday were very well taken, and his overall performance has great!

Hamzah

High Definition Member
zidane is one of the few madrid players i truley admire. the best player of my lifetime.

who knows is messi will surpass him-it's a tall order, single handedly winning the world cup and reaching a final as well as several champions leagues

F

FCB_Titi_LB

zidane is one of the few madrid players i truley admire. the best player of my lifetime.

who knows is messi will surpass him-it's a tall order, single handedly winning the world cup and reaching a final as well as several champions leagues
"single handedly"

come on..that french generation was sublime. The whole team was great

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Bollocks is he greater than Zidane.

Sorry but only people over the age of 26 can really truly understand the beauty of Zidane as a player and people will always regard him as alongside such players as el diego, pele, cruyff and puskas.

Messi is a modern day great I am not denying that nor am I denying he one day will probably surpass Zidane but he needs to make a major impact on the world cup to do so imo.

puskas never made a major impact on a world cup.

kocsis, meanwhile, was earth-shattering in '54, equally prolific at club level, and isn't regarded on the same level as puskas at all.

so pop goes your theory.

I can't rank zizou alongside pele, garrincha, maradona, di stefano and cruyff. he's on the level below them (zico, baggio, kocsis, puskas, best, platini, maldini, giggs, etc.). the only player in the modern era who stood a chance of matching the top level guys was original ronaldo. poor guy had injuries deny him, though, which leaves him in that second group.

zizou was inconsistent in '98 and france needed a lot of luck, some granite-balled defenders, and a convinient epileptic fit/dissenting team doctor controversy to the best player in the world at the time in the 24 hours leading up to the final.

not that zizou wasn't majestic in the final, but my point is to illustrate that circumstance can greatly influence how a player can impact on the world stage (di stefano, brilliant club player, was shit on the international stage for all 3 countries he played for). hopefully messi's circumstances will allow him to succeed, as zizou's did in '98.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Di Stefano didn't play at a World Cup. Neither did Marco van Basten possibly the best no.9 ever. Neither did George Best. Nor Eric Cantona. Ryan Giggs didn't either. Messi has already and scored. Even if he doesn't win it in 2010 or 2014 or even 2018, it shouldn't decry from his potential legacy.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Di Stefano didn't play at a World Cup. Neither did Marco van Basten possibly the best no.9 ever. Neither did George Best. Nor Eric Cantona. Ryan Giggs didn't either. Messi has already and scored. Even if he doesn't win it in 2010 or 2014 or even 2018, it shouldn't decry from his potential legacy.

brilliant post

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
Agree with what Meta said. Currently Messi is still behind Zidane, as he is only 22 and you have to show brilliance over a period of time. I do think having magic moments at major international tournaments does play a part in your legacy. Even Van Basten, his volley for Holland immediately springs to mind, Zidane's headers in 98. Messi not having a moment to savour will mean in 20 years time people may not remember him so well as a name. However with the talent he has he could quite easily overtake Zidane. He doesn't need to win a WC, but if he continues around this level for another 6 years or more he has the potential to join the Maradona's etc.

Nirre_99

It's hard to measure players from different time eras imo.

I wouldn't be sure that Zidane can't compare to Pele and such.

I agree though that Messi needs to show this consistancy for a few more years before he measure up to the like of Zidane. He certainly have the potential though, no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans