10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mitkoa7x

Where was Zico's record back when Muller got the 86 I ask. It emerged when an Argie beat Muller's.

KhaledBarca

TABLE: Leo #Messi 2012 (88) VS Gerd Muller 1972 (85) #fcblive Stats in details (by competition, opponents...)

LINK: https://twitter.com/BarcaStat/status/279241795601309696/photo/1/large

A-AQ7wGCIAIFUFi.png:large

Interesting that Muller only had 3 penalties. Of course, a larger percent of his goals came against so-so teams, but you really have to hand it to Muller. 82 goals from open play in one year. Ridiculous.

excluding penalties and goals against lower division:

Messi = 72 goals (88 - 14 penalties - 2 goals vs Cordoba).
Gerd Muller = 70 goals. (13 vs lower division, 3 penalties, including a penalty vs lower division team = 85-15)

So its even !

KhaledBarca

No one was interested in this record before Khaled figured it out :)
hahaha :)

I don't think any record have taken such attention from the Media before!
It was great and helped Messi alot, that people are not comparing between him with Cristiano Ronaldo now...
But, it wasn't really that good for Barca... I though that Barca players tried to much to help Messi score, even if they had the better chance to score...
We all love to see Messi breaking all the records, but we need all players especially (PEDRO) to score and have more options upfront...
I don't want us to have a similar scenario to last season (vs Madrid and Chelsea)... We need to all players including Messi to score goals... Especially, Pedro (who has just 2 goals this season, alhough he assisted 6) but we ned his goals.. David Villa (8 goals, 3 assists).

Last edited:
J

jiopi

Nominated for Laureus World Sportsman of the year award. I think Messi will win this year as he has got so much media exposure, and lets be honest, with all doe respect to other nominees, his performance just was in a another level.

Nominees: Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Lionel Messi, Michael Phelps, Sebastian Vettel, Bradley Wiggins

Gala is held in Rio de Janeiro 11.3.2013

Last edited:
J

jiopi

Roger Federer (tennis player): "Messi and I show that good guys can also be successful, and enjoy life in the meantime." [diario ole]

Ain't that the truth, yeah I'm looking you resident evils, Nadal and Cronaldo. :lol:

raskolnikov

Nominated for Laureus World Sportsman of the year award. I think Messi will win this year as he has got so much media exposure, and lets be honest, with all doe respect to other nominees, his performance just was in a another level.

Nominees: Usain Bolt, Mo Farah, Lionel Messi, Michael Phelps, Sebastian Vettel, Bradley Wiggins

Isnt it an Anerican award? They usually dont rate " soccer", Phelps isthe favourite imo cause of his records and accomplishments, Messi and Bold to be favourites as well with vettel as dark horse.
As far I know a football player has never won the award, would be nice if Leo won it.

J

jiopi

Isnt it an Anerican award? They usually dont rate " soccer", Phelps isthe favourite imo cause of his records and accomplishments, Messi and Bold to be favourites as well with vettel as dark horse.
As far I know a football player has never won the award, would be nice if Leo won it.
I don't think so, only 3 times of 13 have American sportsman won it. Another thing though is that sportsman from team sport has never won it.

4th nomination for Messi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureus_World_Sports_Award_for_Sportsman_of_the_Year

Last edited:

MagIX

Roger Federer (tennis player): "Messi and I show that good guys can also be successful, and enjoy life in the meantime." [diario ole]

Ain't that the truth, yeah I'm looking you resident evils, Nadal and Cronaldo. :lol:

Despite Nadal is a friend of CR, it doesent mean that he's a similar person, indeed, he s just the opposite.
Nadal, Federer and Messi are very similar persons, good guys, low profile, without superstar attitudes.

..and btw Nadal said several times that Messi is the best player.
"Messi is the best player I've seen in history. It is good for the sport, even as a rival, enjoyed watching him." (MD)

Cule4life

The Culest

He wont win. They just don't like team sports and non Americans. He's been nominated 3 times already. But it'll be great if they let go of their bias and give it to him. Not even phelps has been at the level of Messi

sabby

Despite Nadal is a friend of CR, it doesent mean that he's a similar person, indeed, he s just the opposite.
Nadal, Federer and Messi are very similar persons, good guys, low profile, without superstar attitudes.

..and btw Nadal said several times that Messi is the best player.
"Messi is the best player I've seen in history. It is good for the sport, even as a rival, enjoyed watching him." (MD)

+100

As a hardcore Federer fan, I think Nadal is miles better than c.ronaldo. Both in their respective sports and off the sports.

lessthanjake

excluding penalties and goals against lower division:

Messi = 72 goals (88 - 14 penalties - 2 goals vs Cordoba).
Gerd Muller = 70 goals. (13 vs lower division, 3 penalties, including a penalty vs lower division team = 85-15)

So its even !

That's not a super valid comparison though. First, goals against lower division teams are still harder to score than penalties. Second, if you take out Muller's matches against lower division teams, he played a significantly lower number of matches than Messi.

I'm not trying to belittle Messi's achievement. In think, on balance, his goalscoring has been more impressive than Muller's. I was just sorta shocked to find out that Muller only had 3 penalties. It makes his achievement better than I thought it was.

J

jiopi

That's not a super valid comparison though. First, goals against lower division teams are still harder to score than penalties. Second, if you take out Muller's matches against lower division teams, he played a significantly lower number of matches than Messi.

I'm not trying to belittle Messi's achievement. In think, on balance, his goalscoring has been more impressive than Muller's. I was just sorta shocked to find out that Muller only had 3 penalties. It makes his achievement better than I thought it was.
It's not that simple, penalties that you yourself got aren't easier to score overall, penalties that you team mates got, perhaps. Messi himself got 4 of those 13 penalties. But if we are going that route, next on the line are tap in's, and I can assure you, Müller scored a lot more those, a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans