10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicianMessi

It's good to see him back on pitch after so many days. But he need rest because we need him next season from start and WC also coming up next year.

0n0mat0p0eia

I know Messi says he wants to play every game, but it must be for his own good to sit out a few games to remain at his high level.

I would like to see Tito rest him against the lesser teams this season.

Messi is a superstar thoroughbred, we don't want to flog him like some old nag. We have been so superbly lucky with him on the injury front, but as he gets more and more games under his belt...

Last edited:

Papabeef

I know Messi says he wants to play every game, but im must be for his own good to sit out a few games to remain at his high level.

I would like to see Tito rest him against the lesser teams this season.

Exactly, Many of us here blame the management of both Barca or Argentina for playing Messi when they should not have, they are partly yo blame but for the wrong reasons.

I would bet that in many cases Tito would try to talk Messi out of playing, then he has one of the best players ever let him know that he really "WANTS" to play, Thats our Messi... he is completely hooked! he wants to do a lot more for Barca and wants to (in his mind) make up for how he has been for Argentina, so that only comes with more and more playing time.

He is not obsessed with records and personal titles, sure he enjoys them, being human and all, but not hooked on them like a certain Christian Ronald.

Management needs to find the balls (human male ones) to say NO, when it looks like Messi might injure himself or drown in accumulated fatigue, Messi's heart is in the right place, but maybe he doesn't always know whats best for him.

J

jiopi

Messi playing many games isn't the problem, it was the Bolivian hell. Messi and Mascherano were the only players who also played previous match in Argentina just days before. And boom both injured, after how many god dam games and years. Should have not played the Bolivian game, and/or the Celta game right after it. I think he's wiser on that account for next season.

Messi playing many games isn't the problem, it was the Bolivian hell. Messi and Mascherano were the only players who also played previous match in Argentina just days before. And boom both injured, after how many god dam games and years. Should have not played the Bolivian game, and or the Celta game right after it. I think he's wiser on that account for next season.

This. Messi can handle a lot of games, but even he should have been rested for at least part of the game against Celta right after that Bolivia game. I really think that could/would have prevented the injury. And tbh, considering the circumstances (the game was right after the Bolivia game and right before the PSG game, it was against relegation fodder, Barca had a 13 point lead, etc, etc), I don't think he would have minded sitting on the bench. After all, he didn't seem to mind being rested for most of the game against Deportivo right before the Milan game.

That said, I do think he should be rested a little more, i.e. in easy La Liga games right before CL knockout games. Not saying his playing time should be drastically reduced, but a little more rest wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

0n0mat0p0eia

...That said, I do think he should be rested a little more, i.e. in easy La Liga games right before CL games.

This. We could even narrow it down to the knock-out stages of the CL.

I worry - i know, i'm such a pessimist - that he will get a long-term injury, and we would not be able to cope, but if he's rested, the other players can get used to winning/playing good football without him.

raskolnikov

I think they are finally using him the right way, allthough I always thought he played well for them beside some games.
Sabella deserves credit for this as well though.

J

jiopi

I think they are finally using him the right way, allthough I always thought he played well for them beside some games.
Sabella deserves credit for this as well though.
Definitely, I also remember Guardiola giving him advice to use Messi this way, and make him the captain. The result, consecutive seasons where he has equaled the record of most goals in one season 9, shared with Batigol, and Argentina cruising the top of Conmebol WCQ.

Leo10

Oh my god I missed this :( The game being at night and Messi still recovering from his injury, I was expecting he'd be benched and play some minutes but still not a master performance.

THIS. :badday:

Messi hattrick is not something you see too often these days and I was asleep. Well maybe Neymar will pull something out of his sleeve today against Japan.

raskolnikov

Definitely, I also remember Guardiola giving him advice to use Messi this way, and make him the captain. The result, consecutive seasons where he has equaled the record of most goals in one season 9, shared with Batigol, and Argentina cruising the top of Conmebol WCQ.

It really shuts up a lot of people who kept bringing up his productivity for la Albiceleste, should have been 10 though if it wasnt for that blind ref in the Sweden match.
By the way, does he have the most national team goals this year as well? or is there anothe player who scored more than 9 for his country?

J

jiopi

It really shuts up a lot of people who kept bringing up his productivity for la Albiceleste, should have been 10 though if it wasnt for that blind ref in the Sweden match.
By the way, does he have the most national team goals this year as well? or is there anothe player who scored more than 9 for his country?
Pedro has 10 I think and will probably rack couple more in Confederations Cup.

CatalinR10

Isn't match fit , still scores a hatrick and an assist .

Also , the first goal :worthy:

The run before the penalty :worthy:

Final stats Messi for club and country in the 2012-2013 season: 62 games, 69 goals, 18 assists #fcblive [via @barcastat]

Injured the last part of the season , almost end it with 70 goals :worthy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans