10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamDav1982

I can understand if Messi is trying to avoid getting injured again and slowly building up to his previous level of match fitness, but pacing himself? What exactly does it mean? Picking and choosing which games he will give his 100% and which ones he would not?

I am just baffled why he became a different person in merely 2 days. Scoring against Celta Vigo was more important than doing so against Espanyol?

Do you think he gave 100% effort today? Whether or not it was injury or confidence etc would you be happy to put that much in every week?

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I was simply disappointed at Messi handing over the Ballon d'Or to Ribery. Right now is the time that the voting audience will be watching their every move, and Messi's performance like today's will benefit Ribery and CR7 tremendously, I am afraid.
You act like the voters think, "Messi better score two goals a game or else I will give my vote to Ribery". Has Ronaldo been better this season, individually? Or this year? Has Ribery? The only thing either of them did better in the last few games (since those are what people talk about) is scoring goals (Ronaldo). Which has never helped him. No one in their right mind claims that Messi is not the best player in the world. And the award goes to the best player in the world.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
No but that was nothing to do with Messi.

Barca may well have needed him.

That makes no sense. It is like saying it doesnt matter if a player tried as long as team won!!

Can imagine any top manager accepting that.

Player coming back from injury
In a game that (in the end) the result doesn't really matter (points-wise, sure it would hurt to lose to them, but...)
The other players good enough to win even if Messi does nothing but attract defenders
Upcoming CL game next week, against one of the few teams we haven't beat this season

Why would Messi be instructed to give 100%? He's played to get match fitness back, but told not to exert himself so he doesn't get injured again.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Do you think he gave 100% effort today? Whether or not it was injury or confidence etc would you be happy to put that much in every week?

It certainly didn't look like he did. Of course, I'd prefer him to give his 100% in every game, barring concerns for injuries (which is a totally different story if he feels something).

Mitchell1978

You act like the voters think, "Messi better score two goals a game or else I will give my vote to Ribery". Has Ronaldo been better this season, individually? Or this year? Has Ribery? The only thing either of them did better in the last few games (since those are what people talk about) is scoring goals (Ronaldo). Which has never helped him. No one in their right mind claims that Messi is not the best player in the world. And the award goes to the best player in the world.

He's the best player in the world but he's not playing like it at the moment. With all the injuries and now the dip in form we can say that 2013 has been a bit of a down year for his (massive) standards.

JamDav1982

Player coming back from injury
In a game that (in the end) the result doesn't really matter
The other players good enough to win even if Messi does nothing but attract defenders
Upcoming CL game next week, against one of the few teams we haven't beat this season

Why would Messi be instructed to give 100%? He's played to get match fitness back, but told not to exert himself so he doesn't get injured again.

You act like the game was easy in reality Barca were at the 68th minute and not looking like scoring and Messi was a large part of that today.

Ghost

@jiopi: Chill down, or you will get banned again. :)
I don't need Messi to score 2-3 every second game. I want the Messi from 10-11 back ...the one who was so explosive and fast and played with so much passion that almost no one could stop him. This isn't the same anymore. He isn't even trying in some games, and just walks around and does nothing.
Completely agree with this.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
You act like the game was easy in reality Barca were at the 68th minute and not looking like scoring and Messi was a large part of that today.

The GK had a few great saves (one from Messi), Alves hit the post, several other players were equally ineffective (Iniesta, Asexis up until the goal), Espanyol had only one chance from an Alves mistake... We were in control the whole game, it was only a matter of time before we scored.

JamDav1982

The GK had a few great saves (one from Messi), Alves hit the post, several other players were equally ineffective (Iniesta, Asexis up until the goal), Espanyol had only one chance from an Alves mistake... We were in control the whole game, it was only a matter of time before we scored.

It was not only a matter of time.

The team looked like having few ideas and were struggling to make many good chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans