10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Well Flavia brought it on for no reason. Me saying that Messi's goal doesn't deserve first place somehow made him bring up MVP the award from 2013 :neymar:. And it's obvious since most of the goals on that list are better and not to mention that both Messi and James have plenty of goals that are better than that particular one.

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/37zlds/rsoccers_most_upvoted_goals_for_high_profile/

Here we can see the best goals by all the big players. It's clear that Messi, Suarez and James have the best goals this season.

lessthanjake

Okey, so Messi has a 79% conversion rate, if he had 90 penalties taken he would have scored 71 penalty goals right ? so 25 more goals in total.

Right now in total :

CR = 488 goals for club + selection
Messi = 457 goals for club + selection.

So, my point all along was, if Messi had the same penalties taken as CR, even with his lower cr% > 457 + 25 = 482 goals.

He would be pretty much equal with CR in total goals with (742 - 578) = 164 games less :)

PS : the penalty stats are approx since it's from february, but it was just to explain my initial argument.

To be fair, your math is slightly off, probably because you were accidentally looking at the wrong number in my post. 79% of 90 attempts is 71, but Messi has scored 56 total penalty goals, not 46. So the difference would be about 15, not 25.

But it's also important to recognize that Ronaldo is almost two-and-a-half years older than Messi. Barring there being a stark difference in their career longevity in favor of Ronaldo, Messi will easily end up with more goals than Ronaldo.

Last edited:

raki

I believe 17% of Ronaldos goals in his career are penalties, Messi with 14%. I cant remember where i read that, might be true, might nor be. Anyway, its worth a mention that Valencias gk is pretty much the best penalty stopper in the league, if not in Europe alltogether.

No way those stats are accurate.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
[MENTION=8123]lessthanjake[/MENTION] Yeah I edited my post mate, did all the maths a bit quickly lol but at least now you get my point so we don't continue speaking of 2 different things.

I'm amazed at the numbers of games difference and how close the goal total is, didn't know it was that much!

Last edited:

Morten

Ronaldo was a winger in his early years, and by that i mean he was actually a winger. But i guess Messi was as well, but i think he was moved into that forward role at a younger age than Ronaldo was. Ronaldo started in his poaching role 2007/08, while Messi turned into a forward in 08/09? So given their age difference, Messi started as a forward a year earlier. Well, thats just one way to look at it :) Might not be correct but.

Morten

He started his poaching role in 2010/11. He scored a lot in 07/08, 08/09 and 09/10 but he wasn't poacher.

Maybe it was the wrong word, but the tactics in United changed that season, Ronaldo was the focal point in attack. I guess he has that the season before also, but he was more of a forward from 07/08 onwards.

N

Nicosur de la Braila

Maybe it was the wrong word, but the tactics in United changed that season, Ronaldo was the focal point in attack. I guess he has that the season before also, but he was more of a forward from 07/08 onwards.

anyway you were right :D just watched one video with all his 07/08 goals and he definitely was a poacher hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans