10 - Lionel Messi - v5

FCB50

Banned
I know Argentina isn't a great team but shouldn't Messi still be able to contribute a bit more? Even someone like James was tearing teams apart at the last WC and vs Poland this time around despite playing alongside even worse players.

I just hope Messi gets back to his best for Barca and can lead us to a few more CLs over the coming years. What he's done in La Liga in recent seasons has been extraordinary, but it's sad how few inspirational performances we've seen from him on the biggest stages in recent years.

Last edited:

D10S91

In the next world cup he will be 35. The dream is not over. He can still win it if Argentina appoints a competent manager and starts working from now

Depends on Messi's motivation too.. He'd need to be in better physical shape to still be among the best and do damage at 35, will he be dedicated enough?

-SG7-

I don't have a problem with criticizing Messi being static, but to everything argument or point of criticism you have to look at the entire picture to determine how much of a problem that really is.

Argentina conceded four goals today. Messi was still static, but more involved than he's been earlier. This Argentina team is just not good enough. Di Maria had a golazo, but that's the only good thing he did in the tournament. Mascherano is finished as a DM and Enzo Perez is just mediocre. Banega is literally Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and today you saw why no major team has signed him in his career and why he's bounced around clubs.

The team was just not good enough, but he still made an impact on two of their goals. He cannot be expected to simply take that team the distance against a younger, more energetic and less, far less chaotic France.

As for Messi being static at Barca, then it is something he need to improve, however Barca as a team need to improve too. People want Messi to play further forward, but for the last 2-3 seasons no one from the midfield has been able to advance the ball or make those passes Banega made vs Nigeria. Even Rakitic has been lacking there, either taking too long or simply not having the guts to make that play as it's a risky move. No chance creation from the MF and nothing from the FBs either.

It's a structural mess. Even Maradona or Pele would not take a team the distance with something like that. It's just not possible.

At this point it's not even criticism.

You have guys like [MENTION=1838]Barcilliant[/MENTION] shitting on Messi, diminishing every performance of his, saying he shouldn't be compared to CR as he doesn't deliver in big games while CR does and then you have [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] bringing his revisionism crap he does all the time something goes wrong. And if not that you have another clown claiming Busquets has been Barca's weak link since he started playing for the team.

This is not criticism. This is just a bunch of people being absolute shitheads and I have no qualms saying that or calling people out. I don't give a fuck and hope the mods let this stay because it's about time someone calls out the BS that's spewed around here way too often.

Fking finally someone with brains on here states what most people are too blind to see. Yes messi has his faults and is due his criticism. But you have to look at the system overall to see what a shitfest it is.

It almost wouldvr been better if he didnt score that hattrick against ecuador to drag this team into finals.

Stoichkov1

I don't have a problem with criticizing Messi being static, but to everything argument or point of criticism you have to look at the entire picture to determine how much of a problem that really is.

Argentina conceded four goals today. Messi was still static, but more involved than he's been earlier. This Argentina team is just not good enough. Di Maria had a golazo, but that's the only good thing he did in the tournament. Mascherano is finished as a DM and Enzo Perez is just mediocre. Banega is literally Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and today you saw why no major team has signed him in his career and why he's bounced around clubs.

The team was just not good enough, but he still made an impact on two of their goals. He cannot be expected to simply take that team the distance against a younger, more energetic and less, far less chaotic France.

As for Messi being static at Barca, then it is something he need to improve, however Barca as a team need to improve too. People want Messi to play further forward, but for the last 2-3 seasons no one from the midfield has been able to advance the ball or make those passes Banega made vs Nigeria. Even Rakitic has been lacking there, either taking too long or simply not having the guts to make that play as it's a risky move. No chance creation from the MF and nothing from the FBs either.

It's a structural mess. Even Maradona or Pele would not take a team the distance with something like that. It's just not possible.

At this point it's not even criticism.

You have guys like [MENTION=1838]Barcilliant[/MENTION] shitting on Messi, diminishing every performance of his, saying he shouldn't be compared to CR as he doesn't deliver in big games while CR does and then you have [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] bringing his revisionism crap he does all the time something goes wrong. And if not that you have another clown claiming Busquets has been Barca's weak link since he started playing for the team.

This is not criticism. This is just a bunch of people being absolute shitheads and I have no qualms saying that or calling people out. I don't give a fuck and hope the mods let this stay because it's about time someone calls out the BS that's spewed around here way too often.

I never asked Messi to carry that team to WC glory, I agree with you they're too crap with a retarded manager who lets Dybala stay on the bench for the whole tournament and plays without a striker against France.

But Messi should have performed better in this tournament in the 4 matches he played. He was bad against Croatia and Iceland, had a great first half against Nigeria and was average today. That's not good enough for someone who is considered the best player in the world.

Agree about the Busquets and revisionist part.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He should retire from the NT. No point in staying, Brazil will demolish this team in the Copa next summer regardless.

I'm glad I'll never have to support that shitstain Argentina team again

Stoichkov1

You know what hurts Barca's chances more? A manager that has no clue what he's doing like Valverde shitting his pants vs Roma in the return leg and a weak, slow midfield that plays no part in creating chances or making moves to advance the ball forward + weak FBs + a CF that's scored 4 times in his last 20 CL games.

Want a scapegoat? Find someone else.

Just like with Argentina who would not even be in Russia right now had it not been for Messi, but he's the scapegoat.

Like I said, people don't realize someone's true worth until he's gone.

As I said many times it goes both ways.

The midfield isn't good enough but if Messi doesn't move off the ball and just walks to receive the ball at his feet he can't receive the ball in dangerous positions(the final third where he is clearly more effective).

serghei

The midfield isn't good enough but if Messi doesn't move off the ball and just walks to receive the ball at his feet he can't receive the ball in dangerous positions(the final third where he is clearly more effective).

Of course. It's a mutual issue. Managers, midfield, and Messi are all to blame.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

I do partially agree with you, however even if he makes those runs behind the defence or makes himself more available further up the field he'll need players having the guts to play a ball over the top or between the lines.

Iniesta's passing got more conservative as he aged which is somewhat understandable as the MF is slow and losing possession could pose a counter-attacking threat against you, but Rakitic really should do much better. We need Rakitic to try to make something happen rather than him play as a glorified DM. We need more attacking and chance creation options which we haven't had.

This is why it's so important Coutinho play as an AM and not a LW for Barca. We need someone like that to take the burden off Messi because at the moment he's the only one making something happen when he drops deep all the time which is becoming more out of necessity for him than preference.

Last edited:

kobby

it doesnt make any sense to retire at the age of 31 messi is not going to do it. rest assured

Didn't make sense to retire at 28 either but he did. He won't be retiring due to fatigue or old age. It'll be due to incompetence within the Argentine Football Federation.

I hope he doesn't retire though---he still has a chance next summer.

sundar

When he retires he will surely goes down as greatest of all time. But, not above Pele or Maradona sadly. He just needs to win more champions league and place himself above Cristiano.

Home of Barca Fans