19 - Lamine Yamal

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Sometimes it feels like people don't realize the anomaly Messi was. He was literally the perfect player. The only point of criticism Messi had a player was his workrate. Apart from that, perfect or as close to perfect it's humanly possible to be.

If Yamal can reach even 30% of that he will be the best player in the world, by far. Whether he lives up to his potential will depend on various factors, but injury/health or luck if you want to call it that + mentality the two biggest.

What separates Messi and even Ronaldo is their commitment and mentality to the gig for years and years. 99% of footballers fall off eventually in their late 20s or very early 30s.

TRY_Aze

My dad said if Lamine fulfills his potential, he ll be around 80% of Messi. And the guy saw Maradona, Platini, Cruyff etc. So yeah, that is high praise.
Up to now it seems that he is better decision maker than Messi upon direct pass and counter-attack. No ineffective and unproductive dribbling.

KingLeo10

Nah 80% of prime Messi (especially 2011 or 15) is a top 5 player all time - basically a Cruyff, DiStefano level player.

Very, very unlikely, though of course, I’d like to see it.

Gazzznigga

Sometimes it feels like people don't realize the anomaly Messi was. He was literally the perfect player. The only point of criticism Messi had a player was his workrate. Apart from that, perfect or as close to perfect it's humanly possible to be.

If Yamal can reach even 30% of that he will be the best player in the world, by far. Whether he lives up to his potential will depend on various factors, but injury/health or luck if you want to call it that + mentality the two biggest.

What separates Messi and even Ronaldo is their commitment and mentality to the gig for years and years. 99% of footballers fall off eventually in their late 20s or very early 30s.
Sense

FCMessi

My dad said if Lamine fulfills his potential, he ll be around 80% of Messi. And the guy saw Maradona, Platini, Cruyff etc. So yeah, that is high praise.

Messi has been dribbling half of a team from age 5 to around age 30.

At age 17, Yamal is NO WHERE CLOSE to doing that.

Yamal will be lucky to max out to 60% of Messi.

SmilerBam

I think he has a high potential, of course, not near Leo, but i think he has a higher ceiling than Mbappe. IF, he fulfills his potential. And yeah, consistency is key, that is what Messi and Ronaldo did better than all of them.

SmilerBam

Who knows? I love Leo like all cules, but time doesn't stand still. We need new icons to keep the flame alive( of FCB and footballin general). It's hard to find a better dribbler than Leo ever, but we have to admit Yamal's decision making at this age is phenomenal.
Messi has been dribbling half of a team from age 5 to around age 30.

Yamal will be lucky to max out to 60% of Messi

Temptation

Lamine is phenomenal but nowhere near Messi as a prospect/talent and never will be. Messi was dribbling crowds for fun and possessed magical acceleration and sharpness on the ball from day one. Lamine does a lil trick, beats one player and passes it on, which is great but Messi was a monster who was effortlessly beating 3 or 4 players in a row regularly. Messi's close control, acceleration and balance was so heavenly that he didn't need any tricks to deceive defenders. They couldn't get near him. When you watched young Messi play, it was almost like watching a guy in a video game. Even Neymar at Santos looked better and had more potential/talent than Lamine. Comparing Lamine to Messi would be setting the kid up for failure.

PS: I hate this! Guys, don't make me praise Messi!

Grande

Lamine is phenomenal but nowhere near Messi as a prospect/talent and never will be. Messi was dribbling crowds for fun and possessed magical acceleration and sharpness on the ball from day one. Lamine does a lil trick, beats one player and passes it on, which is great but Messi was a monster who was effortlessly beating 3 or 4 players in a row regularly. Messi's close control, acceleration and balance was so heavenly that he didn't need any tricks to deceive defenders. They couldn't get near him. When you watched young Messi play, it was almost like watching a guy in a video game. Even Neymar at Santos looked better and had more potential/talent than Lamine. Comparing Lamine to Messi would be setting the kid up for failure.

PS: I hate this! Guys, don't make me praise Messi!
Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine anyone currently alive and playing football becoming "the next Messi" for real.

I would like to see Lamine the next Neymar but more passing oriented than dribbling oriented (while still being a very good dribbler) and more disciplined, long term trophies winning oriented for both Spain and FC Barcelona. He have a very good start tho. La Liga and Euro 2024 at 17 y/o. Better start than both Messi and Ronaldo :)

Home of Barca Fans