19 - Lamine Yamal

iniestaGOAT

Am I the only one who is somewhat disappointed he didn't choose Morocco? AFCON would have been a pain but Barca would have gained a huge amount of fans there.

Instead, he plays for a country where everyone hates his club and will only treat him equally if he overperforms consistently.

Will be interested if anyone here has an insight in to how the Moroccans will view him. Proud because of his ancestry or as a traitor for not choosing Morocco.

I don't give a fook what he chooses, Spain or Morocco as long as he does not leave Barcelona.

BusiTheKing

He has that intuitive ability to maneuvre through situations without planning the moves ahead, inventing it as he goes along. A trait he shares with a select few.

Andresito

Staff member
He has that intuitive ability to maneuvre through situations without planning the moves ahead, inventing it as he goes along. A trait he shares with a select few.
I have had the exact same thought after watching him these games. Dribbling comes naturally for him and he does it on instinct. He's very quick to react if a defender leans towards right/left or whether he sticks out his foot to intercept. Just has this natural ability of moving the ball away from the defender and moving into the space that the defender has exposed, for that you don't need Mbappe pace.

Dare I say, it's very Messi esque in that sense as it's something you don't learn.

ajnotkeith

Lamines physical condition is good. He's very very young and has a lot of muscular development to do on his frame, but has a decent pace baseline and great stamina and agility.
He looks like he has good athletic potentials.

Far more athletic than likes of Gavi who are held up as athletic beasts.

Last edited:

Total-Football

Am I the only one who is somewhat disappointed he didn't choose Morocco? AFCON would have been a pain but Barca would have gained a huge amount of fans there.

Instead, he plays for a country where everyone hates his club and will only treat him equally if he overperforms consistently.

Will be interested if anyone here has an insight in to how the Moroccans will view him. Proud because of his ancestry or as a traitor for not choosing Morocco.
I will give u an insider insight. Here in morocco people don't believe much in the complex identity. They have a polarized view of nationhood ( either u are one of us or not). The morocco-french comedian Jamal debouz (born in morocco, immigré to france in early childhood) wore a jersey half Moroccan half french during the world cup semi-final was subject to contempt, so much so his show in marrakech was canceled as a result. So yeah.. now that yamal chose spain he will be ostracized (football wise). I personally think he made the wrong choice , but maybe his playing in spanish turf might have contributed to that. Its obviously a pragmatic-driven choice.

mc_lovin

If he was 19+ I would agree that his pace won't improve much... but he's barely 16 :lol:

He will get faster and stronger, everything else would be a surprise.

JamDav1982

His pace is fine even now. He is quick off the mark in tight areas and can throw folk off balance to get away from them.

If he keeps developing he will be a nightmare for defenders as he can go outside or in, can skin a player if get too close to him and pick a pass/cross if they back off.

Looks like he has everything would want from an attacking players and depending on how develops physically could play more central in that KDB second striker/AM role also.

There seems to be some Barca fans shitting themselves he becomes too tall and it hinders his agility etc.

mc_lovin

Average growth is 1mm/month between 16-18 (starting at 2mm/month and then going down). With 18 it virtaully stops. He's 1.8m. Meaning he will end up at a whopping 1.82m (most likely). Unless he does a Nico.

JamDav1982

Average growth is 1mm/month between 16-18 (starting at 2mm/month and then going down). With 18 it virtaully stops. He's 1.8m. Meaning he will end up at a whopping 1.82m (most likely). Unless he does a Nico.

Folk just shiting themselves of ways it can go wrong.

His father is not tall either.. cant really see much of his mum.

Andresito

Staff member
Kid is built like a stick, don't think he'd be as effective centrally. He should just keep going at RW as that's where he'll have the most impact. Doesn't need to be central to be lethal, look at Robben, Salah and Messi.

He also doesn't seem like the typical athletic winger with pace/dribbling and nothing else. The guy seems to have IQ and good technique to hit a pass or curl it into the corner. Only thing I haven't seen yet is how good he is closer to goal with 1v1's and one timed shots.

In any case I see a player who can go heavy on G+A from RW, like those mentioned above.

JamDav1982

He is 16 and he isnt stick thin either...but yes the point was he has everything to play centrally as well as wide as gets older.

Will be another versatile player.

Home of Barca Fans