28 - Marc Bernal

FCMessi

Missed the Monoco Gamper game.

seem to have been Bernal who provided Monoco with a no-look lazy ass give away.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He turns like an oil tanker without the exquisite technical ability at 17. Has positives but he’s a good 1-2 years away from breaking into the 1st team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Inigo's fault ad much as Bernal's.

Probably mistake to play Bernal as sole DM too. Didn't he look better when Casado played deeper as well?

MontenegrinCuler

Everybody loved those LaLiga Promises videos with a young Lamine bossing things.

Only just realised that we were also watching a young Pau Cubarsi and Marc Bernal in the side too back then.

Incredible.
This Xavi Castellanos guy... where tf is he now?

BusiTheKing

Inigo's fault ad much as Bernal's.

Probably mistake to play Bernal as sole DM too. Didn't he look better when Casado played deeper as well?
Got nothing against the guy for making a mistake as a 17-year old but that was 100% his fault.

As a pivot you are going to be receiving those kinds of passes under pressure from attackers. Ideally you are aware of the pressure around you and react accordingly. And if you don't feel aware (as most normal 17-year olds probably wouldn't) you just take the normal precaution of meeting the ball quickly so as not to invite any potential pressers to grab it. He could easily have done that and reached the ball first and just played it back to Inigo if he was unsure.

The only thing you shouldn't do is what Bernal did. To not have the proper awareness and also not take precaution.

JamDav1982

Bernals error there much more than Inigo.

Not about being slow on the turn though.. just poor awareness that the player was even there.

Young players make mistakes and playing at level never has.. Monaco were treating that like a full on game.

Learn from it and move on.

BusiTheKing

I think he's got talent but wouldn't count on him. No matter how talented you are, there's a minimum of physical qualifications you need in order to play modern top football. Not just strength or pace, but lightness, dynamism, overall athleticism.

A player like Pedri is currently cutting it very close, and despite his abundance of talent (a good deal more than Bernal) he clearly has his struggles.

Bernal just doesn't meet that minimum. I don't know if it's genetics or body mechanics or what it is. Some people just have a heavy ass, they move more slowly, laboriously than others. It's not something you can really train away. There are obviously games in which he will be ok, situations that won't pressure him in that way. But long term I don't see it.

Busquets is obviously a reference, but I think he was both more talented and lighter on his feet than Bernal.

ajnotkeith

I think he's got talent but wouldn't count on him. No matter how talented you are, there's a minimum of physical qualifications you need in order to play modern top football. Not just strength or pace, but lightness, dynamism, overall athleticism.

A player like Pedri is currently cutting it very close, and despite his abundance of talent (a good deal more than Bernal) he clearly has his struggles.

Bernal just doesn't meet that minimum. I don't know if it's genetics or body mechanics or what it is. Some people just have a heavy ass, they move more slowly, laboriously than others. It's not something you can really train away. There are obviously games in which he will be ok, situations that won't pressure him in that way. But long term I don't see it.

Busquets is obviously a reference, but I think he was both more talented and lighter on his feet than Bernal.
It depends what the cause is but I've always been a believer that almost anybody can be hugely physically improved. There are just really diverse reasons why someone would move slow and all of them have to be investigated. In some few cases it could be there is an absolute genetic limitation but in a lot of cases something can be done.

JamDav1982

Bernal is not as limited by physique as made out.

Also players that size often take a bit of time to get used to their height etc when spurt up. Particularly in midfield.

Can compare to Busquets but every player is different and they are not the same player or attempting to be really

Said before he will need to work on the speed of his feet and range of passing as there will be draw backs with that frame as well as plus points.

Rodri should be more of a reference than Busquets really if aims to be like anyone.

companyofcules

Bernals error there much more than Inigo.

Not about being slow on the turn though.. just poor awareness that the player was even there.

Young players make mistakes and playing at level never has.. Monaco were treating that like a full on game.

Learn from it and move on.
Inigo made no error.
There is no question about that.

Loki

He will learn from that. It's good that something like this happens in a glorified friendly. The speed difference between professionals and third division is huge, so awareness needs to be raised.

Home of Barca Fans