28 - Marc Bernal

Windhook

ACLs never heal fully, doesn't reduce the pace of player, but limits the knee's ability and affects the mindset of the player "when is the next injury?". Sidelining Bernal for 12 months is the safest option, as we see Gavi returns to basic training somewhere in 11th month since his injury. Can't tell whether the club learned from past mistakes with rushed Ansu Fati (had the second surgery) or advancement of medical research in that area.

P.S. - we are yet to see if Gavi is capable of being his former self or damaged goods.

Last edited:

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

It's more about mindset than anything else. The mind is far more important than the body. Gavi will come back good as gold because he is a warrior who is not scared of getting injured. He plays in 6th gear or not at all.

You only need to look at the intensity of Gavi's training in comparison to Ansu and see that one will 'overcome' his ACL and the other will be overcome by his. We don't know enough about Bernie's mindset to know which category he will fall into yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ansu has decided to become celibate in fear of picking up an injury. :malcom:

jamrock

It's more about mindset than anything else. The mind is far more important than the body. Gavi will come back good as gold because he is a warrior who is not scared of getting injured. He plays in 6th gear or not at all.

You only need to look at the intensity of Gavi's training in comparison to Ansu and see that one will 'overcome' his ACL and the other will be overcome by his. We don't know enough about Bernie's mindset to know which category he will fall into yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ansu has decided to become celibate in fear of picking up an injury. :malcom:

Bro, chillll talking smack about my boy fati.

😤

khaled_a_d

ACLs never heal fully, doesn't reduce the pace of player, but limits the knee's ability and affects the mindset of the player "when is the next injury?". Sidelining Bernal for 12 months is the safest option, as we see Gavi returns to basic training somewhere in 11th month since his injury. Can't tell whether the club learned from past mistakes with rushed Ansu Fati (had the second surgery) or advancement of medical research in that area.

P.S. - we are yet to see if Gavi is capable of being his former self or damaged goods.
tbf, when I see players with Achillis injury heals fully in the NBA, or even someone like Klay coming back from achilis then ACL, I would say medical advancement in the past decade is real.

Although, it feels like Europe is a step behind.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Europe behind in medicine or sports surgeries? :ROFLMAO:

Terribly myopic take, Achilles injuries implicate different outcomes in the hoops world - not a lot of jumping limitations from torn achilles in football

ACL tears historically have been the most feared injury but I’d say cartilage tears in the knee like the lateral meniscus (lateral are trickier than medial tears) are the ones to be most feared. Ansu Fati, for example, is incorrectly linked to having been overplayed rather than acknowledging his knee injury was quite serious and recovery was not assured to regain anywhere near 100% of original function or stability - ultimately he had it removed. Generally, however, for ACL repair the advances in surgery have led to pretty consistently successful outcomes. Like Gavi, I was not so worried about the ACL tear

ACL recovery takes longer than that of meniscus tears generally or Achilles but this is always given as a range - every patient & body heals at different rates

In Bernal’s case, he hasn’t reached skeletal maturity and still growing along his long bones as the ACL attaches to both the femur and tibia. But he apparently also tore his lateral meniscus and there we don’t know the extent, location or type of that tear to know what his recovery will look like. It was a bad knee injury for a footballer

Nello

Terribly myopic take, Achilles injuries implicate different outcomes in the hoops world - not a lot of jumping limitations from torn achilles in football

ACL tears historically have been the most feared injury but I’d say cartilage tears in the knee like the lateral meniscus (lateral are trickier than medial tears) are the ones to be most feared. Ansu Fati, for example, is incorrectly linked to having been overplayed rather than acknowledging his knee injury was quite serious and recovery was not assured to regain anywhere near 100% of original function or stability - ultimately he had it removed. Generally, however, for ACL repair the advances in surgery have led to pretty consistently successful outcomes. Like Gavi, I was not so worried about the ACL tear

ACL recovery takes longer than that of meniscus tears generally or Achilles but this is always given as a range - every patient & body heals at different rates

In Bernal’s case, he hasn’t reached skeletal maturity and still growing along his long bones as the ACL attaches to both the femur and tibia. But he apparently also tore his lateral meniscus and there we don’t know the extent, location or type of that tear to know what his recovery will look like. It was a bad knee injury for a footballer

Achilles injuries are much more serious than ACL. The tendon will never regain the same structure and properties, and always elongates to some degree which the calf muscles then adapts to (they get shorter and thinner). No amount of training and rehab can change this. It also takes much longer for the tendon to heal than it does for an ACL graft.

An ACL graft heals much quicker, what takes time is for the muscles surrounding the knee to regain full strength. Depending on where the graft is taken from (usually the patella- or semtendinosus tendon) different muscles will be inhibited. Say the graft is from a patella tendon, then the quads will be further inhibited and take longer time to regain their strength.

So what takes so long, is to recoup the strength of all the muscles in the affected leg. This is why an Isokinetic strength test of the quads are one of the best tools to asses wether someone is ready to return to sports, alongside a bunch of functional tests.

But with proper rehab, you can become just as fast as before the ACL tear. Meniscus problems however, further complicate the matter and are more unpredictable.

12 months is a good and realistic timeline.

Very few regain their strength in less time, and many of those who return to sport earlier are not properly ready. Their new ACL graft might be, but the rest of the leg is not up to par with the other and they risk retears and other injuries.

Nello

Reason some hoopers have succesfully returned from an Achilles to their previous level is in many cases because they simple use the other leg for jumping anyyway.
Having seen both Achilles operations and ACL Operations aswell as patients as a physio student, I'd rather tear both my ACLs than one Achilles. Any physio that has seen the persistent deficits most Achilles patients have to live with will tell you the same.

It is true that surgeons do a better job in the US when it comes to Achilles injuries. Not sure about ACL, but doubt it.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
Since he's done the basics well in a few games and doesn't have gimpball mindset like ferret?

Low bar.
Low bar to you, High bar for me as he is 17 years old, and was carrying our asses for the few games.
You should install Wifi and cellular, cuz for sure going analog didn't let your brain develop to see the talent a 17 year old.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Unless you are a pogo stick, mechanically you need both Achilles tendons- irrespective of which foot you plant

Moreover there are 400 fold more ACL tears than rupture of Achilles in football- in hoops and NFL, tennis etc different story

There are many factors that influence recovery and in Bernal’s case it is more severe injury. Hopefully he’ll recover without long term complications

Home of Barca Fans