5 - Iñigo Martínez

Messi983

Defending good means to not even concede, that is why it is tough

Would go even further and say defending good means not allowing a lot of clear cut chances. And ofc doing it consistently also against good or great teams.

Even if you don't concede can't really say you defended well if your opponent has 4-5 great chances but they can't finish or GK saves them.

Our best defense (BACK) were good to very good in La Liga but without MATS in a top form we'd probably concede at least 6-8 goals more. OTOH if we'd still play likes of Roberto, Pique, Garcia and Alba in front of him would again concede 35-40 goals and probably struggle to finish top 4 with offensive limitations we've had most of the season.

Messi983

Ok first signing is what we need the least.

Not really imo. Clearly we have bigger needs but signing a DM will take some time.

On first sight our CB situation looks good but we don't have much depth. A reliable backup CB was a pretty big need imo and it was clear Xavi is also looking for a left-footed CB (that's why he was also using Alonso there a lot). I would prefer someone like Ndicka but he'll surely go somewhere he'll be a guaranteed starter at his age. Don't think he would really have that much troubles to adapt although he has almost exclusively played in a 3 atb system so far in his career because Xavi is pretty much trying to do the same with Balde pushing up and Kounde staying back.

Araujo and AC are great together but they've both only played around 50-60% games this season. I doubt we'll get a starting quality RB so Kounde will probably play there a lot again (whether he likes it or not) and then we just have Eric and Alonso (who will now mostly have to cover LB). Inigo is a big improvement over both of them.

Only problem I have is Inigo had his fair share of injuries this season but hopefully can get over them. Was never really injury prone before in his career. But otherwise a very solid signing if can stay healthy.

Porque

I remember in his younger days he was always linked to us and also scored a couple of screamers from the half way line.

Wasn't he a DMC at the start (or perhaps my memory is fading).

Either way, he would be better there than Eric.

Home of Barca Fans