7 - Ferran Torres

iniestaGOAT

at the end of the day we shouldn't care what coutinho, griezmann and dembele cost, right? don't think anyone loses sleep at night over how much barca are paying for players.

it's more about the frustration at not buying better players(better fits) for the money. for 65M you can get lots of young forwards, with a bit of scouting. feels like our board would have got dani olmo if torres wasn't available.

personally i would have like adeyemi - faster, better dribbler, explosive, good finisher, shoots with both feet.

Adeyemi over Ferran Torres. You must be on crack.

khaled_a_d

Adeyemi is good but he doesn't want to join us, unlike Torres who pushed for Barca.
It is the same "Barca care too much about Barca DNA for transfer" type of bs. The truth is we get huge advantage of having those players push to come here, rather than paying King's ransom in both transfer fee &wages.
Players like Adeyami probably wants to go back to Germany while eyeing a future transfer to Bayern.

The only one I would feel he is a lost opportunity cost for Ferran is Luis Diaz, since we were both interested in him and he was available, maybe we could have got him but then again he is hardly a great goal scorer while being 3 years older tha Ferran.

One more thing, the comparison with Vinicius has the context in it.
Players who are young and wasteful can improve their finishing, and once it happens it is a totally different player then.
Sure, Vini is better dribbler and speedster which makes his potential higher, but that us really beside the point.

Bobo32

at the end of the day we shouldn't care what coutinho, griezmann and dembele cost, right? don't think anyone loses sleep at night over how much barca are paying for players.

it's more about the frustration at not buying better players(better fits) for the money. for 65M you can get lots of young forwards, with a bit of scouting. feels like our board would have got dani olmo if torres wasn't available.

personally i would have liked adeyemi - faster, better dribbler, explosive, good finisher, shoots with both feet.

Yeah, that's where the focus should be. But I think that Ferran Torres looks like a pretty good fit - a humble runner with some skill and a good shot.
He has the potential to be a very useful player for Barcelona even when returning to the biggest stage with a great team. I think that these three failed buys you mention were (especially in hindsight) of the types that maybe had the potential to lead teams of lesser quality, but at most be peripheral in a great Barcelona. As it turned out they were mostly bad players in a bad Barcelona, so even worse.

There is of course a big difference to the costs during the Rosell/Bartomeu reigns and now, different stages. Rosell bought a few good players in his first years, and the cost wasn't a big problem at that stage. Then it was a shambles in the later years which Laporta seem to recover well from, so yeah it's about finding the right players and personalities now, to be able to return to the top.

Messi983

A bunch of overreactions from usual suspects as expected.

Felt really bad for Ferran when I saw him at the end. Really showed how much he cares and thought he let his team down. As some other pointed out, when was the last time we saw similar emotions from our beloved captains after countless humiliations? He has the right mentality and will come out stronger from this game.

Sure, didn't have the best day in front of the goal but he got into a lot of chances because of his quality movement upfront. He's at the club for a month and this was the first time he started alongside other new signings Adama and Auba so obviously there is not much chemistry among them. This takes time. You can't just put players out there and think they will click from the first minute. MSN also needed months to start gelling (not comparing AFA to MSN, just saying they need time together and they'll get it as they will probably be Xavi's prefered forward line for the rest of the season). He still showed some good understanding with Auba (not so much with Adama who was too isolated on the right) and of course Pedri who he already knows from NT.

malvolio

Adeyemi is good but he doesn't want to join us, unlike Torres who pushed for Barca.
It is the same "Barca care too much about Barca DNA for transfer" type of bs. The truth is we get huge advantage of having those players push to come here, rather than paying King's ransom in both transfer fee &wages.
Players like Adeyami probably wants to go back to Germany while eyeing a future transfer to Bayern.

there was that rumor from skysports austria that he is thinking of going to dortmund and rejected us. don't know if interest from us was real or not.

he wouldn't have cost 55-65M anyway, so argument about price/wages doesn't stand.

behindbrowneyes

There are days everything goes against you, no matter how hard you try. Torres had one of these days yesterday.

Look at the kit he wore yesterday. Do you notice something?

ferran-torres-aubameyang-de-jong-barcelona-2202-epa.jpg

Andresito

Staff member
there was that rumor from skysports austria that he is thinking of going to dortmund and rejected us. don't know if interest from us was real or not.

he wouldn't have cost 55-65M anyway, so argument about price/wages doesn't stand.

Problem is we're not paying anything for Ferran this season. Which is why he firstly, was a good alternative, and secondly maybe cost a few million extra as "penalty" for delaying the payment to City.

Salzburg were reluctant to selling Adeyemi in the first place with them being in CL knockouts, let alone getting 0m for him.

Iniesta Ultra

I agree with Iniesta Ultra about Puig, nice. I didn't see that Torres moment though and I'm not as sceptical about him. I thought he created a lot and was good in pressing and in his movement, he should've scored thrice or something and should be criticized for that, but he might be good. But that's for another thread.

Moved your quote here. I just rewatched the play giving the penalty and I've never seen a bigger tantrum for that scenario by anyone. Torres was smart enough to face away from Adama while doing it though. That level of desperation is troubling, I kinda feel sorry for him now.

Bobo32

Moved your quote here. I just rewatched the play giving the penalty and I've never seen a bigger tantrum for that scenario by anyone. Torres was smart enough to face away from Adama while doing it though. That level of desperation is troubling, I kinda feel sorry for him now.

Alright, searched for it but just found this compilation from the game where it wasn't included. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YuXbdVUa4
I think he had a good game overall, I really like his intentions most of the time. He lacks a bit of power in some situations, and he obviously lacked a fine-tuned finish yesterday, but I like what I see in that video. Please link a video with the reaction if you have one!
I think though, that him moaning a lot, maybe crying after the game, and also going for the same shot he already missed when he had the chance to decide the game, shows the right kind of character. He kept running and trying, and I think it will be rewarded in later games.

Birdy

Alright, searched for it but just found this compilation from the game where it wasn't included. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YuXbdVUa4

First lay off pass in the vid is from Auba, not Ferran

Other than that, the compilation confirms my critique yesterday:
From out wide: 1/3 of his attempts where possession loses, 1/3 were back-passes, and 1/3 were successful but predictable, and non-threatening passes to someone on his right.
His idea might have indeed been to combine with the people next to him and get in the box, but it was predictable and easy to defend.

His best chances DID NOT come from his actions, but rather from steals by other players (Auba most of the time) who then released him in space.

CONCLUSION:
When he receives out wide, he is unable to dribble, and create superiority like Adama or Dembele do.
That's why he should NEVER EVER start out wide again.
As I wrote yesterday even Auba who has played LW many times under Arteta and Tuchel, will be much more dangerous starting out wide.

If he is to play, he should be CF, and the team will utilize his movement from that position

Home of Barca Fans