7 - Ferran Torres

MTL_Barca

He's doing fine so far imo. Was expensive considering our situation, but in general 50ish million really isn't anything special these days, especially under these circumstances (21yo, elite club, spanish NT, long contract, winter window), in times where the most sought after attackers are priced double that.

Not gonna be our next superstar player, but should contribute goals and can play multiple positions.

JamDav1982

No doubt that he will score but how many?

It's hard to think he will be someone to score 30 goals per season

Have any wide players at Barca bar Messi and Neymar scored 30 goals in season?

Likes of Pedro averaged about 15 and scored over 20 twice. Villa did it once in his x3 seasons.

JamDav1982

This is from May 2021

#
BARCELONA LATEST
Ansu Fati: Four operations in six months
He will undergo a meniscectomy this Thursday, according to Mundo Deportivo. The internal meniscus of his left knee will be removed and he could return in six weeks.

Ansu Fati has decided to put an end to the real hell he has been living since he injured the internal meniscus of his left knee on November 2020 . After three failed arthroscopies in an attempt to save his original meniscus, the forward has decided to heed the opinions of some outside experts who advised the definitive removal of the meniscus as the only solution to his recovery problems.

Yes and where does it say four ops were unsucesfull?

The first three were basically the same treatment attempt and fourth to this point has not been a failure.

Had they gone for the fourth op from start the knee would be the same as is now.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Cause Messi was hogging all the goals back then. Others didnt need to.

How many before Messi? Or at Real outwith Ronaldo scored 30+?

Works both ways. Messi was top assister going and would allow more freedom on other side of park so could be easier to get goals with him and Neymar probably 2nd all time for wide players goals in a season at Barca played with Messi anyway.

Neymar scored more goals than any wide player bar Messi has and Suarez scored more than any CF in recent times as well. Playing with Messi didnt make players stop scoring as didnt need to.

BBZ8800

why would you assume I was talking about the version of Ronaldo that least resembles Ferran's profile tho?

in his prime, Ronaldo was all about positioning, agitation and finishing. well-timed movement from the wing into the area occupied by central defenders, combinations more than dribbles, finding that little bit of space to take one touch to the side and shoot, just agitating that area with hopeful intensity and pouncing on everything that falls with a decisive finish.

to me, that seems sort of what Ferran can do as well. once again, i'm not saying he's as good, i'm just comparing roles.

I don't know.

I remember in 2003, I was watching that famous friendly match between Sporting and Man Utd when 18 year old Ronaldo was making fools out of Man Utd (it looked way more impressve live than on highlights videos) when Man Utd players begged Sir Alex on a flight home to sign that kid.

Barca wanted Beckham, we lost him to RM.
Then Man Utd wanted Ronaldinho, but they lost it to us.
And then Man Utd signed young Ronaldo.

I didn't care about Man Utd, but I started to watch their matches and the only waited for: come on, Sir Alex, put that kid onto field, I want to watch his tricks, runs, cockiness and how he is making fools out of everyone.

My point is:
1. Cr7 turned from a player who was making tricks, dribbles and runs into a scorer = but the point is, deep down in him, he had those skills and he was using those skills when he needed to shoot (slight body/hip movement to get rid of the opponent and to get a clear shot on goal)
On the other hand, Ferran is not a guy who can make those dribbles, body feints and similar.
2, further, Cr7 was always a leader. Aged 18, he would take the ball and tried to create something on his own.
When Ferran takes the ball, he passes it "to someone else" and he waits for someone else to create something for him.
3. their mentality/body language/cockiness. Cr7 was master in that area. Ferran is a guy who cries on a field.
Ok, he is showing some passion with his tears, but in general, Cr7 was a weird, cocky, confident, driven dude with tons of dribbling skills and later he improved in finishing. But I would dare to say that his ice-cold finishing was also somewhat influenced by his:
1) ice cold personality
2) cocky personality and insane levels of belief in himself (look at Cr7's pens in the 90s minute and Messi's pens, for example. A huge difference in mental strength).
3) high attacking/dribble/technique skills while he was a winger-wizzard at Sporting and Man Utd

So, I would say that Ferran is miles behind young Cr7 in every single of these skills.

Further, about personality traits, I have wrote a few times that for attacking/winger/Cf position, you usually need to be somewhat cocky, brave, proactive.
For example:
1. Cr7 = cocky, insanely self-confident
2. Zlatan. A psycho how self confident and cocky he is
3. Ronaldinho = quite confident and cocky (remember his goal on a WC 2002 vs England, goal celebrations, a leader, taking responsibility on his shoulders etc)
4. Mbappe = quite cocky
5. Haaland = quite cocky, confident, ice cold
6. Lewa = quite confident and ice cold

There is also Messi, who isn't similar to them personality wise, but he had GOAT skills so he compensated that way.

In that sense, I was often surprised when Barca bought players like Dembele, who isn't any sort of a leader, or confident or cocky.
Coutinho failed for the similar reasons.

But we had one golden generation filled with shy-choir boys and too many people around Barca think that it is the way to go and how personality/mentality doesn't matter.
Yet, I would say that we won during Messi-Xavi-Iniesta because we had technically insane team led by Goat Messi.
But in 99% of other situations, you'll never be able to build such a technical team and then your shy attackers/leaders will suck.

Anyway, about Ferran, on top of his bad pace, inability to dribble, I would put his personality where he doesn't look like a cocky leader/proactive guy, which is usually a must combination for top level attackers.

All in all, 100s of things would need to turn into his favor for him to turn into a top level.
My bet would be:
90% a fail
10% turning his career around and improving drastically our of nowhere

Zidane82

Yes and where does it say four ops were unsucesfull?

The first three were basically the same treatment attempt and fourth to this point has not been a failure.

Had they gone for the fourth op from start the knee would be the same as is now.

Errrrr.... After three failed arthroscopies ...

The fourth was presumably was not that successful given he is still crocked and it was 9 months ago

Last edited:

Zidane82

He's doing fine so far imo. Was expensive considering our situation, but in general 50ish million really isn't anything special these days, especially under these circumstances (21yo, elite club, spanish NT, long contract, winter window), in times where the most sought after attackers are priced double that.

Not gonna be our next superstar player, but should contribute goals and can play multiple positions.

A very good assessment of the situation

JamDav1982

Errrrr.... After three failed arthroscopies ...

The fourth was presumably was not that successful given he is still crocked and it was 9 months ago

So three operations you are claiming failed but they were all part of the first attempt to avoid the removal anyway.

The fourth is not linked to current injuries to say it failed.

Zidane82

So three operations you are claiming failed but they were all part of the first attempt to avoid the removal anyway.

The fourth is not linked to current injuries to say it failed.

But they operated three times .. unsuccessfully as it states ..then a fourth time last May .

Why are you being so obtuse ?

khaled_a_d

But they operated three times .. unsuccessfully as it states ..then a fourth time last May .

Why are you being so obtuse ?

3 times was never confirmed information, and it is said one of those was actually a diagnostic procedure.
Jamdav is right, practically it was like an only one successful operation. Just not the one they hoped (to preserve full meniscus)

Home of Barca Fans