8 - Pedri

Andresito

Staff member
Gavi averages 46.1 per 90. There's clearly a certain role within the midfield where you don't end up with as many passes as the other mids.

BusiTheKing

Pedri is being asked to play AM and in between the lines and to hold his position to then help support/create for front players.

Moaning about him no making 100 passes a game is not realising what role he is being asked to play.

If want that can play an irrelevant player like Puig who will look to pass the ball aimlessly a hundred times while opposition just watch him and Xavi gets pissed off on sidelines.

Jesus, that's the biggest strawman of the year so far.

Are you saying his role dictates him to be less involved with the play than players like Odegaard, De Bruyne, Saul, Denis Suarez, Moutinho, Trigueros?

Because that's where he is right now.

And the mention of Riqui Puig again lol. How is he still living in your head rent free? He hasn't even played for 5 games or something mate.

JamDav1982

Jesus, that's the biggest strawman of the year so far.

Are you saying his role dictates him to be less involved with the play than players like Odegaard, De Bruyne, Saul, Denis Suarez, Moutinho, Trigueros?

Because that's where he is right now.

And the mention of Riqui Puig again lol. How is he still living in your head rent free? He hasn't even played for 5 games or something mate.

He isnt less involved and not a strawman.

Terrible list of random names there.

Pedri impacting game in way he is being asked to and team as whole can improve further.

Yeah Puig is clear example of why 'number of passes' is moronic stat on its own. Great example.

You are desperate to dissect every Pedri game as not good enough on some level as backed wrong horse. Simple.

BusiTheKing

Gavi averages 46.1 per 90. There's clearly a certain role within the midfield where you don't end up with as many passes as the other mids.

Yes, and Gavi is not involved enough either for the football we want to play.

But he's younger, less experienced, not an established starter and not rated as highly as Pedri on here, so the discussion isn't as interesting.

BusiTheKing

He isnt less involved and not a strawman.

Terrible list of random names there.

Pedri impacting game in way he is being asked to and team as whole can improve further.

Yeah Puig is clear example of why 'number of passes' is moronic stat on its own. Great example.

You are desperate to dissect every Pedri game as not good enough on some level as backed wrong horse. Simple.

I never said it's a good 'stat on it's own'. A player can be plenty involved in a game and still have many other issues with his game.

Like someone like Puig. His overall level of involvement isn't a problem. His quality of involvement is a problem.

With Pedri, his overall level of involvement is a problem. But fair, you disagree, I get it.

But if you have a minute, please find me one club team, current or historic, that plays fluid, fast-paced possession football and has a starting CM who makes less than 45 passes per 90.

Maybe there's a reason why all these good teams play more passes in general?

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Indeed Pedri was Barcas best attacking player in a game where Barca were not passing ball well into final third.

Nah in game v Alaves Xavi Barca had a lot of slow passing from back and struggled to get ball from CBs to midfield quickly through middle.

Lot of balls were going from Araujo/Pique and Busi to switches of play out wide as a tactic. Could see Xavi telling them to do it.

Too many and too slow and team struggled to break them down.

To ask a player to play at AM and hold position more often than not and then not realise why dont get 100 passes is moronic.

Puigs 'overall involvement' is absolutely a problem as he runs about like headless chicken nowhere near the positive involvement the likes of Pedri makes.

Puig makes team worse by getting on ball so much as he is clueless as to how to play midfield.

Last edited:

BusiTheKing

Indeed Pedri was Barcas best attacking player in a game where Barca were not passing ball well into final third.

Nah in game v Alaves Xavi Barca had a lot of slow passing from back and struggled to get ball from CBs to midfield quickly through middle.

Lot of balls were going from Araujo/Pique and Busi to switches of play out wide.

Too many and too slow and team struggled to break them down.

To ask a player to play at AM and hold position more often than not and then not realise why dont get 100 passes is moronic.

Puigs 'overall involvement' is absolutely a problem as he runs about like headless chicken nowhere near the positive involvement the likes of Pedri makes.

Is your brain broken or something? There exist numbers between 33 and 100 lol.

JamDav1982

Is your brain broken or something? There exist numbers between 33 and 100 lol.

What is the number of passes you want Pedri to make to have 'involvement'?

Like the way you focus on that when rest of post puts your ignorance in its place.

End of day you can handle backing wrong horse on Puig/Pedri and dont have much clue after that.

Pedri living rent free.

vegitot

Yes, that's very nice, and once again, I think that Pedri did very well at the Euros, but once again, I'm not talking about his historical performances, I'm talking about how he's performing for us right now.

Btw, here are Iniesta's numbers for his La Liga seasons:

09/10: 67
10/11: 85
11/12: 75
12/13: 96
13/14: 78
14/15: 80
15/16: 73
16/17: 76
17/18: 74

But Pedri's current 43 is not suspicious at all somehow?

It's hilarious the responses you get when you criticize Pedri.

He's hiding from the ball? No, look at how he wasn't hiding from the ball in the EUROS 2020.

For how little he's on the ball, he's not really creating anything dangerous? No, look at how much he created for Spain at the EUROS 2020.

He's not really contributing enough to the overall circulation? That's just his role.

As if fucking Xavi of all people would somehow be instructing one of his midfielders to be less involved in the passing play than any other good CM in Europe.

And once again, I'm not saying that Pedri is not talented or that he can't improve. But this is the situation right now.

Cool. Now can you post Ini's stats pre Pep seasons???

Quality over quantity dawg

BusiTheKing

What is the number of passes you want Pedri to make to have 'involvement'?

Well, he was more involved last year so I'd at least want him to be up around that level.

Ideally I'd want his involvement to resemble someone like De Bryune's, but clearly our passing play is much slower in general than City's so the conditions are harder (not that Pedri imo doesn't contribute his part to that slowness).

So let's say somewhere in the 50s.

Andresito

Staff member
Here are a few who are at lower numbers at CM. I honestly can't the correlation.

Wijnaldum is at 42.5
Bellingham 44.8
Ward Prowse 46.6
Gundogan 56.6
Bruno 47.6
Lemar 44

JamDav1982

Well, he was more involved last year so I'd at least want him to be up around that level.

Ideally I'd want his involvement to resemble someone like De Bryune's, but clearly our passing play is much slower in general than City's so the conditions are harder (not that Pedri imo doesn't contribute his part to that slowness).

So let's say somewhere in the 50s.

Awful example with KDB.

KDB is better with team mates that are light years ahead of Barca on the ball and energy to move for it.

While he is more or less given a free role at times to seek ball out whether that be in the middle or going wider to get balls into the box.

Pedri needs to be helping open up teams in final third as Barca struggle with that more than anything else. That is why Xavi is focusing on him and praising him as he is doing what is asked.

More passes will come when team improves and circulating ball to others that can open up team is worth it.

Created most chances in last two games, scored and had as good defensive stats as anyone else.

Plenty involved.

BusiTheKing

Here are a few who are at lower numbers at CM. I honestly can't the correlation.

Wijnaldum is at 42.5
Bellingham 44.8
Ward Prowse 46.6
Gundogan 56.6
Bruno 47.6
Lemar 44

And they're all higher than Pedri's except for Wijnaldum who's not doing so hot himself.

Not significantly higher, no, but with the football we want to play, this matters.

Home of Barca Fans