9 - Luis Suárez - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

linetty

OK. But if not buying Suarez would have meant buying one or two world class midfielders then I'd be right at it.

F

Flavia

OK. But if not buying Suarez would have meant buying one or two world class midfielders then I'd be right at it.

It wouldn't. Suarez is a forward. Midfield is a separate issue. If they didn't get Suarez, they'd get Higuain or someone else. That had nothing to do with not bringing another midfielder.

L

linetty

It wouldn't. Suarez is a forward. Midfield is a separate issue. If they didn't get Suarez, they'd get Higuain or someone else. That had nothing to do with not bringing another midfielder.
I know... you've already made it clear. I was talking hypothetical, what I would have preffered to happen and what imo would have been better for Barca in the bigger picture.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Suarez transformed our attack and has been a brilliant signing. And he isn't even 60% of his full potential we saw at liverpool. i think he'll be even better next season.

el chilenito

Suarez is fitting in well but truth be told he isnt really transforming our attack a complete 180 as much as people make it out to be, still a good buy but barcelona never really had trouble scoring alot of goals even with fabregas, sanchez and pedro, in fact during both cesc and sanchez first two season barcelona recorded their highest scoring seasons. Considering in the year before their arrival, in 2010 with the likes of prime messi, villa, iniesta xavi, pedro and assist machine dani alves, plus 31 match unbeaten run barca managed to score 95 goals. compare to for example 2011-12 season barcelona score their second most goals in a season with 114 goals, real madrid only won the league because they were on fire, breaking numerous club records in the process. 2012-13 season barcelona win the league 15 points clear of second place real madrid, scoring their most goals in barca history with 115 goals., 2013-14 season barcelona manage to score 100 goals and narrowly miss out on the league title last match day with winner atletico madrid.

JamDav1982

Suarez is fitting in well but truth be told he isnt really transforming our attack a complete 180 as much as people make it out to be, still a good buy but barcelona never really had trouble scoring alot of goals even with fabregas, sanchez and pedro, in fact during both cesc and sanchez first two season barcelona recorded their highest scoring seasons. Considering in the year before their arrival, in 2010 with the likes of prime messi, villa, iniesta xavi, pedro and assist machine dani alves, plus 31 match unbeaten run barca managed to score 95 goals. compare to for example 2011-12 season barcelona score their second most goals in a season with 114 goals, real madrid only won the league because they were on fire, breaking numerous club records in the process. 2012-13 season barcelona win the league 15 points clear of second place real madrid, scoring their most goals in barca history with 115 goals., 2013-14 season barcelona manage to score 100 goals and narrowly miss out on the league title last match day with winner atletico madrid.

Barcelona have struggled to score goals in the past couple of seasons on quite a few occassions against the top teams - Atletico Madrid last season and out the CL to Bayern and Chelsea the previous two seasons.

Its not as simple as looking at team goals in the league over the season as those teams had much better midfields to play with than presently and probably played more of an attacking game.

In the CL the previous seasons Barca have scored one two goals from open play across the six legs of going out.
Sometimes scoring 90 goals is more impressive in a team that is more balanced defensively than scoring 115 in a team that doensnt have that much emphasis on defending.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
He needs to get his sh*t together. Suarez is an experienced player - tripping over his own feet, missing easy passes and goal chances is not 70M worth of experienced striker. The "ohh but he's running and making space" excuse is not good enough, he should both be able to soften the defence and make space + score more goals and pass better. It's just so frustrating seeing our other players having great technique and when Suarez get the ball it's like he has a wooden foot.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
He needs to get his sh*t together. Suarez is an experienced player - tripping over his own feet, missing easy passes and goal chances is not 70M worth of experienced striker. The "ohh but he's running and making space" excuse is not good enough, he should both be able to soften the defence and make space + score more goals and pass better. It's just so frustrating seeing our other players having great technique and when Suarez get the ball it's like he has a wooden foot.

So embarassing at times really ..

Last edited:

LordLichtenstein

I think you should take a look at his stats. Keep in mind, that he was banned from all football activities for 4 months and got his debut in the end of October. Also, he is adapting to a new team and league.

vvsvsv.png

He is directly involved with a goal every 89 minute. If this isn't impressive, then I don't know what is.

He will beast it out next season. 30+ goals and 20+ assists incoming.

cris29

Bookmarked for when we win the doblete.

I hope we win treble, and next season with Suarez winning Ballon D'or! However, as i said in another post after the above, i feel better options were available for the amount we spent in the summer. Suarez signing does bring world class talent but it makes our side more individualistic especially front 3, when we need a side that compliments each-other and sum total of the team is greater than its part. I don't feel that with the signings we brought in.

Pepe Silvia

Your post is a bit short sighted and stuck in the Pep era. What we have now is FAR greater than the two seasons past and sets us up not only in the immediate but for long term success. I couldn't disagree more that there were better options for this squad than Luis Suarez. Sure Douglas was a bust and Verm was a gamble but Rakitic, Suarez, Stegen, Bravo, Mathieu have ALL been excellent additions. Next year we will be even better. Trying to recreate the past was part of our problem and kept us looking stale and desperate to fit in so many players who could not or would not play that style. We are finally starting to play with identity again.

anguy

Sorry but buying Suarez doesn't preclude buying a midfielder. There were midfielders to be had, like Kroos for instance, at reasonable prices that would have improved the situation.

LE explicitly said he did not want more than one midfielder to be bought (to leave some space for youth like Rafinha). Board told him he can have Kroos or Rakitic, he chose Rakitic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans