Arturo Vidal

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There is no way this was decision between Thiago or Vidal.

Two completely different profiles of player and probably a huge difference in the price of players as well. The club (EV) wants a physical b2b workhorse midfielder. Then Thiago wouldn't even be on the list of options.

I'm in agreement with the club that we need that profile more than a Thiago profile because of how we've been outplayed in the CL in recent years. Mostly due to physicality and aggressive teams.

Whether Vidal is the best choice or not I'm not sure. But please don't spout BS like this signing is a choice between Thiago or Vidal or even 30m Vidal vs 200m Pogba.

Player profile and budgeting is the main two things the club needs to take into consideration when making these transfers.

#SeriousPostNoTrolling

We got outplayed with Paulinho on the pitch too. In fact our best CL performance came with Dembele on the pitch in the home leg vs Chelsea. We might lack some physicality from time to time, but what Barca ultimately lack is competence. Ball movement forward, creativity, mobility. Vidal might bring mobility, but not much creativity or ball movement forward. So the same problems exist. Coutinho in place of Iniesta will probably help a lot, but we need Rakitic to step up or vacate his starting spot. I get that people were in awe of him playing his DM role last season, but we have little creativity when he does that. We need more from our midfielders. Cannot rely on Messi and Coutinho to do everything, especially when Suarez is a bum in the CL having scored 4 times in his last 20 games. Guy went from being a fighter to strolling around and doing dumb shit like playing a dummy with no one behind him.

We've been losing because of the lack of competence, creativity and mobility.

Icarium

Lifestealer
If Vidal gives his best he will be a good squad player, but don't think he will. His attitude doesn't seem to be the best as far as i can tell. Dude is old and might be thinking and will enter pre retirement stage. Paulinho was an exemplary character and gave his best. Second concern would be Valverde having a midfield of Coutinho Rakitic Busi and Vidal midfield benching both dembele and malcom. With the recent comments of not wanting malcom i could actually see this happen. Now i understand his obsession over willian as he is much more capable of playing wide midfielder in 442

Havesaks

Does anyone know why Bayern-fans are actually crying about this, and don't really want to lose him?

Because he is a real fighter and has been really good for them. Its not like fans are against selling him, but just feel sad that he leaves. Makes sense i guess.

Messi983

Mentally weak? This Barca squad is far from mentally weak. Just because they played bad once doesn't mean they are mentally weak. We don't need players who are mentally strong, we need skilled players for our midfield. Which is very boring to watch lately, side way passing and devoid of creativity. Vidal doesn't change any of that. Just hope Coutinho saves us from misery, he has the potential.

We've played bad (didn't score) in away CL quarter/semifinal games when we were eliminated in 6 of the last 7 seasons with only exception being treble season.

2011/12 - 1/2 final Chelsea 1-0 (coach: Pep)
2012/13 - 1/2 final Bayern 3-0 (Tito)
2013/14 - 1/4 final Atletico 1-0 (Tata)
2015/16 - 1/4 final Atletico 2-0 (Lucho)
2016/17 - 1/4 final Juve 3-0 (Lucho)
2017/18 - 1/4 final Roma 3-0 (EV)

We've had 5 different coaches in those games. Yes, they've made their own share of mistakes and we've played better in some games than the others but I think it's fair to say our senior players who have been part of the team in most if not all of those games (Messi, Busi, Pique, Alba,...) should also take their responsibility for that. (But people will continue to blame stupid coaches or fringe players like Gomes or Paulinho who have played 10 or 15 minutes in those games instead of saying something bad about fan favourites). And it's clear they don't lack quality or experience to win the CL so it has to be their mentality.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
These guys will see mighty RM's youth this season in a CL without CR7's luck, drive, decisive goals and headers.

Let's see how much RM's youth will win this season.

Ignore the fact that they lost Zidane as well and may lose Modric?

You really think RM's young players haven't succeeded? Carvajal assisting in a CL final and numerous other key games, being the best RB in the world at certain points? Varane being better defensively than Ramos? Isco having numerous high profile performances in the KO stages or Asensio's goals?

RM's entire front line needs to be renovated after Ronaldo left. A team built around serving chances to their single consistent high volume scorer has now lost said player, of course they won't gel nearly as well. I doubt their midfield gets any weaker or chance creation drops at all (unless Modric leaves) but the goalscoring will obviously not be at the level it was with Ronaldo. That doesn't mean their youth sucks or was overly reliant on Ronaldo.

By contrast, let's see where Ronaldo is this season without a team who's entire plan is built around world class creators getting him clear chances in the box.

Saladin

Sigh.

Now is the time to bring out the big guns and either go for a QUALITY signing for the big bucks or make a move for the future. Brake the bank for Paul or go all in on FDJ. The pragmatic choice, should you chose neither, is Thiago. Not fucking 82 y/old Vidal. An old fart with more ink and alcohol in his body than muscle or talent.

Vilarrubi

We've played bad (didn't score) in away CL quarter/semifinal games when we were eliminated in 6 of the last 7 seasons with only exception being treble season.

2011/12 - 1/2 final Chelsea 1-0 (coach: Pep)
2012/13 - 1/2 final Bayern 3-0 (Tito)
2013/14 - 1/4 final Atletico 1-0 (Tata)
2015/16 - 1/4 final Atletico 2-0 (Lucho)
2016/17 - 1/4 final Juve 3-0 (Lucho)
2017/18 - 1/4 final Roma 3-0 (EV)

We've had 5 different coaches in those games. Yes, they've made their own share of mistakes and we've played better in some games than the others but I think it's fair to say our senior players who have been part of the team in most if not all of those games (Messi, Busi, Pique, Alba,...) should also take their responsibility for that. (But people will continue to blame stupid coaches or fringe players like Gomes or Paulinho who have played 10 or 15 minutes in those games instead of saying something bad about fan favourites). And it's clear they don't lack quality or experience to win the CL so it has to be their mentality.

+1

JamDav1982

Ignore the fact that they lost Zidane as well and may lose Modric?

You really think RM's young players haven't succeeded? Carvajal assisting in a CL final and numerous other key games, being the best RB in the world at certain points? Varane being better defensively than Ramos? Isco having numerous high profile performances in the KO stages or Asensio's goals?

RM's entire front line needs to be renovated after Ronaldo left. A team built around serving chances to their single consistent high volume scorer has now lost said player, of course they won't gel nearly as well. I doubt their midfield gets any weaker or chance creation drops at all (unless Modric leaves) but the goalscoring will obviously not be at the level it was with Ronaldo. That doesn't mean their youth sucks or was overly reliant on Ronaldo.

By contrast, let's see where Ronaldo is this season without a team who's entire plan is built around world class creators getting him clear chances in the box.

Think the point is more geared toward the idea that Real are set for years and have fantastic youngsters ready to replace established stars in squad.

They dont to anywhere near the extent as some make out.

Home of Barca Fans