Borna Sosa

mdenci

Full name: Borna Sosa
Current club: VfB Stuttgart
Date of birth: 21 January 1998 (age 23)
Place of birth: Zagreb, Croatia
Height: 1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)
Playing position: Left-back

Considering our problems at the LB position, thought you guys might have a look at this guy. I know him from my country's club Dinamo Zagreb - wasn't much at the time considering he was very young, you could see some flashes, but it's hard to give world-class performances in the Croatian league.

His qualities: excellent combination of physical predispositon and technique - he is very fast and can provide depth with his constant overlaping runs on the flank; he has great technique, can handle the ball well even in full sprint; has excellent crosses while running; most importantly - he has good repetition abilities, he can run up and down the entire game. Plus, he is not at all expensive which is a great thing considering our financial troubles.

His recent form for VfB Stuttgart (4 assists in last 5 matches) proves that he finally caught grasp in the Bundesliga. Very much Jordi Alba-style player, less defensive responsibilities and more attacking contribution - this is because he is mostly being used in a 3 CB formation as a LWB. I know you guys have had your share of players of this playstyle, but it's kinda in our club DNA from the Guardiola age to have a LB and a RB who are more offensive.

Don't know about his mental skills, though, or how he would fit in our squad and perform in La Liga. Players from Bundesliga have had trouble adapting to La Liga because they just don't have enough free space (just remember Dembele), and Sosa really likes open space in front of him.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
440px-Borna_sosa.jpg

Name: Borna Sosa
POB: Zagreb, Croatia
DOB: 21 January 1998
Height: 1.87m
Position: Left-Back, Left Wing-Back

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I guess we are getting him if we get Lewandowski. Or of course, if we keep Luuk the Skywalker.

Wouldn't work that much for Haaland.

Porque

He looks like a mix between Halilovic and Rakitic. So he will either be terrible or excellent for 2 seasons and then become public enemy number 1.

gregorrin10

He is lwb.

His best trait is crossing.

So a younger Angelino basically. Eager to see us linked with some new names in the full back department, Sosa looks like he could be a really good option, and for 25M a bargain too. Maybe even less, if Stuttgart get relegated? Anyone know if he has a relegation clause like Raphinha (so in this case that would be something even lower like 15M?) or is 25M it in any case?

Even if that is the case, 25M is still a very good deal in my eyes. And I'm sure most of the fan base just heard of Sosa for the first time today and are scared because they don't know him, and they even underrate him and prefer the likes of Grimaldo because of that, but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of the most highly regarded full backs in the Bundesliga already, is of the exact right age for a move to a big club (his prime still way ahead but at 24 with some real experience under his belt already too) and could become a real success here, even more so if we manage to get him at such a low price.

Kinda like we got Rakitic under the radar for 18M. I guess that a good comparison, since it's his country man that we're talking about after all. But at CM there's always been a much larger pool of good and especially more marketable options, so getting Raki from Sevilla in 2015 was kinda like getting a full back from a lower level Bundesliga club, I guess. Seems like Xavi and Alemany are really determined to get some good new players in that perfect 24-27 age range in this summer, and I like it.

Now hopefully we follow suit in the RB department and go after a good bargain there too. A lot of quality in the Bundesliga and the Ligue 1 in these lower level clubs. No need to be limiting ourselves to those few popular options that we think are good enough, like Gaya and Grimaldo for LB.

I trust Xavi knows exactly what kind of a profile he wants for his system. Much easier to be scouting that way, knowing where and who to look at, regardless of their name. Getting some real good bargains that way as well, as oppose to forcing to bring someone just because of their name and reputation and from a very good club already, and then of course overpaying in the process because of it most likely.

And I won't be surprised to see us linked with quite a few new names (in the full back area at least) until July rolls around. On the right as well, since we're apparently not getting neither Mazraoui nor Azpi, so someone new like Sosa might be the way to on RB as well.

Messi983

https://twitter.com/Sky_Marc/status/1513580842924363783

Says we want to sign him. Our scouts have followed him closely. He has a 25m release clause and that we are talking with his agent.

Anyone knows if he's good? Currently plays for Stuttgart.

Sport says clause is only if Stuttgart get relegated. With 5 games left they are currently 15th on the table but just a point ahead of Arminia Bielefeld and Hertha Berlin. One of these three teams will get automatically relegated (alongside Greuther Furth who is dead last) and another team will get into relegation/promotion playoff against a team that will finish 3rd in Bundesliga 2.

I've not watched him but I've heard good things about Sosa. Looks like a cross merchant. Also very tall for a FB so BBZ should like him. Think about this what you want. :lol:

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...ttgart-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

Anyway, while we're at it also sign his team mate Kalajdzić. #hooftheball

Last edited:

Co0ter

He looks strictly like a cross merchant. I'm not familiar with him, but someone who's strength is solely crossing shouldn't be considered our starter, but a good other option, reliable LB to play regularly.

Anyone familiar with him and could give insight on his defending? A solid defensive option that has excellent crosses could very much be a useful player for us and Xavi's style. We haven't had a truly solid, defensive fullback since Abidal.

Home of Barca Fans