CL quarters: Barca - PSG 2-0 (5-1 agg.)

DrPepper

But Mascherano is faster and better tackler and when PSG have players like Pastore and Lavezzi it's very important.

Mascherano faster than Mathieu? Not really. Better tackler yeah but doesn't mean much with his tendency to rush into challenges too quickly, which is something you should avoid as CB. Against City he was exposed time and time again only for Pique to save his ass.

serghei

Mascherano faster than Mathieu? Not really.

He is quicker in reactions and is a much better reader of the game. And he's very hard to beat in 1 vs 1. Better tackler as well, as you said. Overall, a better player. Not to say Mathieu hasn't proved to be a damn fine alternative, but the starting CB pair is Pique - Mascherano.

JamDav1982

Mascherano faster than Mathieu? Not really. Better tackler yeah but doesn't mean much with his tendency to rush into challenges too quickly, which is something you should avoid as CB. Against City he was exposed time and time again only for Pique to save his ass.

He was exposed a couple of times vs City and was also brilliant against City over two legs last season and has played well in a number of big games.

Masch reads game better at back than any other Barca CB, he has different strengths to Mathieu.

PhilS

He is quicker in reactions and is a much better reader of the game. And he's very hard to beat in 1 vs 1. Better tackler as well, as you said. Overall, a better player. Not to say Mathieu hasn't proved to be a damn fine alternative, but the starting CB pair is Pique - Mascherano.

I agree with most of this, and I certainly understand why any coach would want Masch in the lineup. The only times I am concerned about Masch at CB is against top teams who are good in the air. Like PSG. I guess I am relieved that Mathieu is not starting at FB, Lucho has really improved over the course of this season.

DrPepper

Much better reader of the game? If he truly was he wouldn't look so average in the few matches he had at DM. Can't really agree with him being better in CB. Let's just hope he has a good match tonight.

He was exposed a couple of times vs City and was also brilliant against City over two legs last season and has played well in a number of big games.

Masch reads game better at back than any other Barca CB, he has different strengths to Mathieu.

Nah, Pique is better at reading the game. A lot.

JamDav1982

Much better reader of the game? If he truly was he wouldn't look so average in the few matches he had at DM. Can't really agree with him being better in CB. Let's just hope he has a good match tonight.

Nah, Pique is better at reading the game. A lot.

Pique isnt better at reading game than Masch at all. Pique has become a better player as penalty box defender but Masch reads its better hence why he dominates a lot of interception stats etc over the past few seasons.

Masch is also the best passer of ball from back.

Egert

Estonian Culé
1 Barca goal = 15 push ups
1 Messi goal = 20 push ups
1 PSG goal = 1 min :cry:

Barcaforum VAMOS!

Let's win this thing! :barcascarf:

DrPepper

Pique isnt better at reading game than Masch at all. Pique has become a better player as penalty box defender but Masch reads its better hence why he dominates a lot of interception stats etc over the past few seasons.

Masch is also the best passer of ball from back.

He has a lot of interception stats beacuse of his tendency to rush into challenges much more often. Whereas Pique takes more of a covering position. The matches against City have pretty much shown that. For me Pique is the better passer as well.

JamDav1982

He has a lot of interception stats beacuse of his tendency to rush into challenges much more often. Whereas Pique takes more of a covering position. The matches against City have pretty much shown that. For me Pique is the better passer as well.

Could debate this all night and have in past but he reads the game brilliantly.

"Its incredible how he reads the game. He notices things that others don't." Pep on Masch.

No way is Pique better passer, he doesnt have the range of Masch and Masch is the one they give ball to dictate from back for a reason.

EdmondDantes

I wonder what Bertus thinks of that line up, I'm not a fan of Rabiot but he has done very well in the last couple of months. He's not very mobile though, and is prone to misplacing passes. We should be pressing him non stop. That could be the gate for a quick counter.

Kohe321

I'm getting really nervous, haha let's get this over with :lol:

Hoping we can do well and score many, many goals. COME ON BARCA! :barca flag: :dance: :barcascarf:

Home of Barca Fans