CL semis: Bayern - Barca 3-2 (3-5 agg.)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
ok well but this is just a slideshow of players who were signed from domestic clubs in a timespan of 25 years. Most involved clubs that are mentioned here were somewhere between 10th-18th place in the table. Every club does these.

Yannik, out of curiosity, are you a Bayern fan (I thought you were a Hannover fan?) or just couldn't help coming into Bayern's rescue after seeing Germany's best club getting heat from us?

DennyCrane

ok well but this is just a slideshow of players who were signed from domestic clubs in a timespan of 25 years. Most involved clubs that are mentioned here were somewhere between 10th-18th place in the table. Every club does these.

The slideshow is irrelevant, the quote is essential.

nnao

It is clearly different if you say "we will give our 100% to play our biggest game of the season to beat Barca" than stuff like "show Messi who the boss is".

That's not the equivalent I used though. He's basically saying Bayern have to be authoritative and dominant. Kind of like the Benatia quote where he says he respects MSN but won't show them respect on the pitch. He doesn't mean that he's going to go out and outrightly disrespect them, either. The extent that you're interpreting the quote, is just sematics.

Reminds me of the post-WC interview where Muller said he doesn't care about winning the Golden Ball and people made a big deal out of it. Mountain out of mole-hills.

DennyCrane

You do remember that Uli referred to a time during which Bremen was still considered a major threat? Those times are long gone.

The quote from Sportbild 2012 or 2013: "Ehrlich, es ist überhaupt nicht unser Interesse, den anderen (Borussia Dortmund) zu schwächen. Das haben wir früher mal gemacht, aber das kann nur ein Nebenaspekt sein" is pretty universal me thinks. Anyhow, I don't want to chew this entire thing through again. We won't agree on this anyway and it has no correlation to the upcoming tie, which should be the focus of this thread.

Devils

1.) How do you know? Are you part of Barca's souting departement?
2.) "numerous English media have reported" - if the world would be like the english media would want it to be then every damn player is at United already, including Guardiola as their coach.
3.) fair enough, he's good but he hasnt yet lived up to that alleged price-tag.
4.) Why is this limited to only league rivals? Real and Bayerna re among the teams who will probably be in the semi-finals of the CL in at least 8 of the upcoming 10 seasons, if thats not a rival, then i dont know what it is. And Barca basically weakened a team that could have had the potential to play with the big boys in the future, even if they might not do that yet. Remember that Atletico was also once a "weaker" team, not seen as real danger for Barca and Madrid. Had other teams exploited their good players, BEFORE they became relevant and therefor preventing their rise to sucess then you would also say "they are not competition" today. Just a matter of perspective. But I really dont get why it is limited to "direct league rivals", theres not just the league.

Schlaudraff came from Allemania Aachen. HIs transfer was indeed unnecessary and he wasnt really used, but you cant apply this to the Bayern-Dortmund saga since both, Götze and Lewy area ctually PLAYING as starters, therefor are an addition to the squad and actually needed. The intent here is definitely tos trengthen the squad. Bayern needed a striker because Mandzukic and Gomez were good but not Barca-Real-Bayern quality, so they went for a striker. And all of a sudden Lewy a worldclass striker, appears on the scene. He has CL experience, league top scorer, great with the ball, speaks german and most importanly he is for FREE. An opportunity noone would miss out.

1) I know because we bought Luis Saurez and paid his 80m buyout clause instead.
2) Lol what? Generally player release clauses are publicly available information. It's accessible to any media. Why would they need to speculate on that?
4) It's about league rivals because it's the only standard of measure to evaluate such actions. Barca can sign a player from Sevilla without compromising their league position and there is a big difference between a perceived threat and known threat . Almost everyone would say that Sevilla are not known threat at the same time most would agree that they aren't a perceived threat either. If you want to use a perceived threat, then Valencia would be a much better example, but Barca wont be buying from them this summer. Atletico and BvB are far better examples because they are known threats to the big teams in their respective leagues.

If you understand economics, it's not easier to see that this is just a classic case of a large firm (Bayern) with tremendous power in the market (which in this case the bundesliga) acted on a smaller firm (BvB) that was a known threat and contributed to the smaller firms demise. The large firm, tremendously benefits from this action, they eliminate the presence of a threat while strengthening themselves and ensuring they keep their position. The overall market (bundesliga), however, suffers because there is a loss in value.

Which was essentially my point from the start.

Edit: I agree with Denny Crane. I'm done here and I've made my point. I'll focus on the match instead.

Last edited:
R

Ryu Hayabusa

The quote from Sportbild 2012 or 2013: "Ehrlich, es ist überhaupt nicht unser Interesse, den anderen (Borussia Dortmund) zu schwächen. Das haben wir früher mal gemacht, aber das kann nur ein Nebenaspekt sein" is pretty universal me thinks. Anyhow, I don't want to chew this entire thing through again. We won't agree on this anyway and it has no correlation to the upcoming tie, which should be the focus of this thread.

Exactly ;) :cheers:

R

Ryu Hayabusa

1) I know because we bought Luis Saurez and paid his 80m buyout clause instead.
2) Lol what? Generally player release clauses are publicly available information. It's accessible to any media. Why would they need to speculate on that?
4) It's about league rivals because it's the only standard of measure to evaluate such actions. Barca can sign a player from Sevilla without compromising their league position and there is a big difference between a perceived threat and known threat . Almost everyone would say that Sevilla are not known threat at the same time most would agree that they aren't a perceived threat either. If you want to use a perceived threat, then Valencia would be a much better example, but Barca wont be buying from them this summer. Atletico and BvB are far better examples because they are known threats to the big teams in their respective leagues.

If you understand economics, it's not easier to see that this is just a classic case of a large firm (Bayern) with tremendous power in the market (which in this case the bundesliga) acted on a smaller firm (BvB) that was a known threat and contributed to the smaller firms demise. The large firm, tremendously benefits from this action, they eliminate the presence of a threat while strengthening themselves and ensuring they keep their position. The overall market (bundesliga), however, suffers because there is a loss in value.

Which was essentially my point from the start.

Lewa is a starter, Götze was considered starter and the young starlet of German football. Your theory is bollocks.

Yannik

Yannik, out of curiosity, are you a Bayern fan (I thought you were a Hannover fan?) or just couldn't help coming into Bayern's rescue after seeing Germany's best club getting heat from us?

that rescue thing. ;) As a german I am rooting for the teams in my league, and when ti goes to the top-flight then i prefer Bayern over BVB.

The slideshow is irrelevant, the quote is essential.

yeah the quote was most probably referring to the previous quote about Schlaudraff in 2007, where he admitted to do that. The quote is not saying "there was much more" and the indicated slideshow by BILD is just implying that he meant every damn signing he made.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's not the equivalent I used though. He's basically saying Bayern have to be authoritative and dominant. Kind of like the Benatia quote where he says he respects MSN but won't show them respect on the pitch. He doesn't mean that he's going to go out and outrightly disrespect them, either. The extent that you're interpreting the quote, is just sematics.

Reminds me of the post-WC interview where Muller said he doesn't care about winning the Golden Ball and people made a big deal out of it. Mountain out of mole-hills.

Funny how you turned everything every Bayern player said into gold.

Did Neuer actually say "show Messi who the boss is" or not? If not, end of the story. If he did, then it is his poor choice of words. Let's face it, you could have conveyed the same sentiment by saying something that doesn't come off as cocky.

By the way nnao, why are Bayern players giving all these pep talks?

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Did Neuer actually say "show Messi who the boss is" or not? If not, end of the story. If he did, then it is his poor choice of words. Let's face it, you could have conveyed the same sentiment by saying something that doesn't come off as cocky.

Because they just "lost" two matches in a row, are injury ridden and now have the toughest challenge of the whole season so far ahead of them???

Devils

Lewa is a starter, Götze was considered starter and the young starlet of German football. Your theory is bollocks.

Yeah you completely missed the point where I said Bayern tremendously benefited by strengthening themselves.

Your reading comprehension is bullocks.

nnao

I don't think that everything Bayern players say is gold. The extent that people interpret these quotes are pretty much arbitrary. I think the Muller quote was probably the most harmless one out of the 3 but people made a big deal out of it. Personally, I think that what Muller said before about training and Bundesliga games was pretty stupid. A lot of what Kalle, Sammer, Beckenbauer, etc. say makes me legitimately cringe too and I just wish they would stop talking sometimes.

What do you mean by the last part?

Home of Barca Fans