Clément Lenglet (loaned to Atletico)

malvolio

Hopefully he can increase his value a bit so we wont make a complete loss on him.

still 25. french international defender who stays healthy most of the time - we can get back easily the 35M we spent on him.

bayern payed 80M for lucas hernadez. and that motherfucker isn't twice the player lenglet is.

Andresito

Staff member
On the ball he's one of the best in the world, just like Umtiti. No matter how nervous I get when he's defending, I am very calm when he's on the ball.

Messi983

25m is not enough.

Especially if we'll continue to play with 3 at the back (which I don't like too much despite getting good results recently) then we'll need to have 5-6 CBs.

Something like Oscar/Garcia - Araujo/Pique - Lenglet/Firpo (Alaba)

serghei

25m is not enough.

Especially if we'll continue to play with 3 at the back (which I don't like too much despite getting good results recently) then we'll need to have 5-6 CBs.

Something like Oscar/Garcia - Araujo/Pique - Lenglet/Firpo (Alaba)

3 at the back doesn't work nearly as well without De Jong there in the center, he has been absolutely key in this formation. I think this formation is very dependent on De Jong's ability to carry the ball in midfield and his speed to put out fires quickly at the back, when our defense is breached.

If you replace him with Araujo or Pique the whole thing will fall apart. Araujo is sketchy on the ball, and Pique is far too slow.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Lenglet's profile shows how important a ball-playing left-footed CB is for our system, especially in a back 3. He is one of the best CBs in the world with the ball at his feet, releasing fast drilled passes and breaking lines. It's a pity he always has multiple brainfarts in him and isn't able to fucking not use his hands while playing football. A right-footed CB at LCB could work (like Masche), but when the opponent presses while knowing the LCB can't use his left foot, they could cut out the passing lanes to the left wing and force turnovers more easily. If we continue with a back 3, a left-footed CB is a must. If we play with 2 CBs, we could do with a right-footed one.

Messi983

3 at the back doesn't work nearly as well without De Jong there in the center, he has been absolutely key in this formation. I think this formation is very dependent on De Jong's ability to carry the ball in midfield and his speed to put out fires quickly at the back, when our defense is breached.

If you replace him with Araujo or Pique the whole thing will fall apart. Araujo is sketchy on the ball, and Pique is far too slow.

That's why I don't like this formation too much. It will be ok for the rest of this season (still don't know if it will work against AM who will surely sit back for 90 minutes if they'll still be leaders at that point and a draw will be enough for them) but I hope we won't use it much next year. But if we will then I prefer to have 3 pure CBs at the back than Frenkie playing there. He's just too important for the midfield. He can still drop back occasionally to help building from the back against teams pressing high.

Sure, Araujo is not the best on the ball (he has improved in that aspect a lot since his first days at Barca B and can still improve as long as he stays fit to play) but Garcia (if he comes; I would prefer Kounde but he's just too expensive) and Lenglet are both good ball-playing CBs. Alaba could fit into that role as well if he comes but IF he's really demanding what's reported I'd prefer to keep Lenglet on a much lower wages for one more season and then see what we can do next year when our finances will hopefully be better.

FCMessi

On the ball he's one of the best in the world, just like Umtiti. No matter how nervous I get when he's defending, I am very calm when he's on the ball.

Umtiti is arguably riskier on the defense due to his incomplete knee joints. 0 chance in ANY foot race.

Offensively Umtiti is too rusty warming the bench ALL the time.

Good thing Koeman SEEMS to understand the difference.

Porque

He has been good since switching to a back 3. Same as Mingueza, back 3's can hide alot of flaws in slow defenders (Lenglet), irrational defenders (Mingueza) and poor positional defenders (Yerry Mina).

If this system keeps working, no need to replace him or Mingueza. Not unless we want to position ourselves with a better CB for when we inevitibly go back to a back 2 either when this stops working or after Koeman leaves.

Home of Barca Fans