Clément Lenglet (loaned to Atletico)

Andresito

Staff member
It's not that kind of a contract. Barca did a normal extension with Umtiti, devided the money they owed him in the last year on the new contract, meaning he cost them 5 times less per year in the books.
The club can do the same with Lenglet. If the club ows him 30m in 2 years for example and everyone understands no club is willing to offer him this salary, Barca can extend the contract without paying him a new salary, just deviding these 30m to 5 years, meaning he'll earn 6m per season, not 15 anymore. He gets the same money just over a longer period, but has a chance to find a new club with his new 6m wages.
It's not about overpay them in the last years, but an usual, even payment over 5 years.
I don't see how Lenglet would agree to that.
If we use your numerical example he can just say no and sit out his contract which would earn him 30m in 2 years. From then on he can sign for another club, obviously not on same wages but let's say 5m per season. Over 5 years he'd then make 45m instead of the 30m spread over 5 years you suggested.

JamDav1982

He has a 2 year private contract, but with only 1 year applied to FFP.

I'm not sure how that works to be honest, but surely such methods open the door to creative manipulations.

Inigo has a two year contract with the club but he is only registered for the first year of it.

The second year potentially Barca could have to pay him and to have it included in FFP but not be able to play him.

The league has still not approved that 2nd year as registered.

JamDav1982

It's not that kind of a contract. Barca did a normal extension with Umtiti, devided the money they owed him in the last year on the new contract, meaning he cost them 5 times less per year in the books.
The club can do the same with Lenglet. If the club ows him 30m in 2 years for example and everyone understands no club is willing to offer him this salary, Barca can extend the contract without paying him a new salary, just deviding these 30m to 5 years, meaning he'll earn 6m per season, not 15 anymore. He gets the same money just over a longer period, but has a chance to find a new club with his new 6m wages.
It's not about overpay them in the last years, but an usual, even payment over 5 years.

I dont think they can do that now.

JamDav1982

If we use your numerical example he can just say no and sit out his contract which would earn him 30m in 2 years. From then on he can sign for another club, obviously not on same wages but let's say 5m per season. Over 5 years he'd then make 45m instead of the 30m spread over 5 years you suggested.

Lenglet if he decided to do that could also potentially be giving up 2 years of his career if Barca put him in stands.

He would then have a lot less bargaining power for a contract at any club after that two years was up.

It would make more sense for him to leave now and take the contract over 5 years and play while getting the better contract elsewhere.

Not that it is possible dont think but there are reasons Lenglet would do it.

Loki

Theoretically yes, but if he doesn't play football for 2 years, I really doubt someone gonna pay him even 1m, let alone 5. This way, he has a guaranteed income for the next 5 years and a big chance to play football again.
It depends on him of course. Umtiti agreed to it. In the long run, taking the bigger paycheck now could mean less money overall. And then there's always the football aspect. The players don't get younger, their career is over faster than they think. Does a 30 year old really want to give up on it because of some millions? It depends on him of course, but it's worth a try.

Andresito

Staff member
IIRC he rejected being bought out of his contract for what I believe was a bit less than what's remaining to be paid to him. I don't think he's in a rush to get back on the pitch regularly. At the same time if it was money he was after then he'd already be in Saudi. So idk.

TheStig

Lenglet knows we won't put him on the stands. In the end we'll accept the best loan offer that he agrees to go, the same as last years. He gets to play and he gets this amazing salary from Barca. I don't see a reason why he would accept an extension with all together the same salary but with more years. I was very suprised Umtiti accepted it. Two more years of loans from Barca, he'll be 31 when it finishes and can go to SA for another paycheck. It's really amazing to think about how much he'll earn in his career with so limited talent, thanks Barto.

JamDav1982

IIRC he rejected being bought out of his contract for what I believe was a bit less than what's remaining to be paid to him. I don't think he's in a rush to get back on the pitch regularly. At the same time if it was money he was after then he'd already be in Saudi. So idk.

He rejected the letter of freedom which would be him walking away from the contract.

It would serve no purpose for Barca to pay him out in full really.

JamDav1982

Lenglet knows we won't put him on the stands. In the end we'll accept the best loan offer that he agrees to go, the same as last years. He gets to play and he gets this amazing salary from Barca. I don't see a reason why he would accept an extension with all together the same salary but with more years. I was very suprised Umtiti accepted it. Two more years of loans from Barca, he'll be 31 when it finishes and can go to SA for another paycheck. It's really amazing to think about how much he'll earn in his career with so limited talent, thanks Barto.

He could be sent to stands.. as he woulndnt be missed on the park.

Then if 20% of contract and say 3m saved vs taking a gamble he wont want to play no football for a season.

Windhook

Since we can't do anything to solve his situation and Lenglet is reluctant to negotiate - let him rot for 2 another years.

Messi983

We wouldn't save any problems by letting him root for two years. Also don't think that's what he wants. He's actually professional and wants to play so I think they'll find a solution but will probably take until last days of transfer window.

Gnidrologist

EvdZqxMVEAEhbbF
Bartos nose looks awfully sus.

Windhook

It's not Lenglet's fault, but Barto's administration.

As a saying goes around here (roughly translated): "The one who eats the banitsa (a Balkan pastry) isn't mad, but the one who gives it to him."

Home of Barca Fans