Clément Lenglet (loaned to Atletico)

Andrew M

All Barca needed to do was defend from various positions 3-0, 4-1. Without those mental defensive errors it wouldn't have matter the forwards and midfield had been a bit run into the ground (which Valverde bears some responsibility with lack of rotations in League play) and lacking in spirit.

In that game all we needed to do was score. We had the wrong mentality. It wasn't one individual's fault

behindbrowneyes

I am talking about left footed duo. That must be very rare.

Rare, but not really worth talking about it. In the end it doesn't matter if both are right-footed or left-footed, basically it is the same. It is great to have one right-footed and one left-footed CB, but it is not necessary. Puyol - Piqué were probably the best duo this club had in the last 18 years.

soul24rage

the question is whether either Umtiti or Lenglet can play on the right side of the CBs. if yes then we don't have any problem

Jombi

Rare, but not really worth talking about it. In the end it doesn't matter if both are right-footed or left-footed, basically it is the same. It is great to have one right-footed and one left-footed CB, but it is not necessary. Puyol - Piqué were probably the best duo this club had in the last 18 years.

Its not the same though. Right footed players are more comfortable playing both positions, which is usually not the case for left footed CBs.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Its not the same though. Right footed players are more comfortable playing both positions, which is usually not the case for left footed CBs.

That comes from left footed cbs being rarer and usually being played on the same side of the defense, whereas rightfooted cbs may have to adapt out of necessity. Lenglet can learn to play in Pique's spot.

Arizona Scott

the question is whether either Umtiti or Lenglet can play on the right side of the CBs. if yes then we don't have any problem

The idea either will be Pique level at their best,and do the organizational and reading of whole game things Pique does, on top of handling his individual match-up, is not a sure thing. What Pique has meant is very much undervalued by many here.

Jombi

That comes from left footed cbs being rarer and usually being played on the same side of the defense, whereas rightfooted cbs may have to adapt out of necessity. Lenglet can learn to play in Pique's spot.

Yes, that is the reason. They have usually played left sided CB since a very young age and dont know anything else.

Jombi

The idea either will be Pique level at their best,and do the organizational and reading of whole game things Pique does, on top of handling his individual match-up, is not a sure thing. What Pique has meant is very much undervalued by many here.

You are certainly overrating him. He's often a clusterf*** when it comes to these things.

What's interesting is that both Umtiti and Lenglet are French, which can be good for communication which is crucial in that position. Both being left footers is a potential negative.

soul24rage

pique at his peak was amazing, but he's going to be 32 this season and it's smart to think about the future. and plus we were talking about if two left footed CB can play together and I'm pretty sure pique will be in the starting XI unless he's in terrible form.

Arizona Scott

pique at his peak was amazing, but he's going to be 32 this season and it's smart to think about the future. and plus we were talking about if two left footed CB can play together and I'm pretty sure pique will be in the starting XI unless he's in terrible form.

Fair enough, but some were suggesting Pique is likely to be displaced immediately. Pique gutted out last spring on a bum knee--I still expect him to be one of the worlds best when fit--for another season or two. For reference Ramos and Godin are 32 and Chielleni is 33. I think 33/34 was about it for Pepe and John Terry for being phased down--so 33/34 seems about right to me for Pique to be totally phased out, with 32/33 transitions (e.g., like when Real rotated Ramos/Pepe/Verane).

Bit for big games this year and probably next--I def expect Pique to start.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Improved as the match went on but can't say he is anything special nor do I see why we got left footed defender when Pique was the one who needed a challenger.
(Not that Umtiti had a great season either).

Home of Barca Fans