Daniel Alves

serghei

Personally not a fan, but there really isn't much to lose here. We have a lot of injuries and he might help out Dest and possibly push Dembele and be a good influence for him too. He knows the role he is being brought for.

If anything I'm more concerned about the Sergi Roberto rumors.

There's a good chance some of these rumors are bullshit. No way the papers know that much when the guy didn't have a single proper training session with the team.

Birdy

[MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] and others bandwagoning for 38 yr old Dani

Things to lose:

1) Minutes waisted from Dest's development

2) Bad influence in the dressing room, reinstating and strengthening the Amigo culture
Old buddies meeting up again, not for a re-union, but to fool around in Barca's shirt, still thinking they are the best in the world and that calendar says 2011

khaled_a_d

Too much overreaction over a depth signing who seem to be in great shape with an abundance of winning experience basically everywhere he goes. It's for 6 months.

Worst case he sucks and is gone in 6 months and we wasted almost nothing.

Best case he actually does well and even helps out someone like Dest who has the talent to become a top player, but need some proper guidance and coaching if he's ever going to become one.

We have couple of free roster spots and Alves is taking one of them, and considering our contract situations we are unlikely to succeed in offloading players on January although it is a possibility.
If Alves is one of our reinforcements, after Luuk being last one before him, it leaves bad taste and put doubts about our ambitions
The Alves signing feels like throwing the towel tbh

clemente

Just don't get this at all... Why would Xavi want this, might as well sign Pirlo too... Kinda starting to lose hope in Xavi

El Gato

Villarato!
Wait

So this old fuck is coming back to play football?

Like actually gonna lace the boots up?

I thought he's just gonna be a consultant or assistant

Is Laporta for real?

KingLeo10

Barcelona is a comedy club and will be so for the foreseeable future. So just sit tight wear ur seat belt and laugh

Seatbelts strapped and ready to go

SnarlingNeighboringBoar-size_restricted.gif

Andresito

Staff member
Finally starting to see some sensible posts in here. This transfer needs to be looked at in a different perspective as it isn't a traditional one. I honestly don't expect to see him on the pitch too much.

Some general points:
1. Alves won't play a lot. He's pretty much a finished player. Although if Xavi somehow during these 1.5 months sees that he can contribute on the pitch, then tough luck for Dest, Mingueza and Roberto. They should logically be better than him. I'd be surprised if he even manages to start a match.

2. [MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION] mentioned amigo culture coming back. The amigos had the coach by their finger. Amigos then were the core of the team. I highly doubt Xavi, with all the rules he introduced, will start sucking the +33 year olds' dicks like Valverde and Setien did. Absolutely 0 risk of this, and if there is, it's not due to Alves' 6 months here.

3. 6 months contract, zero cost. Absolutely nothing to lose like [MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION] mentioned. Nothing. He comes as a humble warrior ready to help during the last stretch of his career.

What he's supposed to bring:
4. Winning mentality. When playing a superior opponent, the minds of 80-90% of the current squad is "let's hope we don't get smashed" or "let's hope we can snatch a draw". Alves is a winner, and if somebody has those thoughts he'll be there to show that you can have a winner's mentality even if you're an underdog. It might not make us win that exact game, but hopefully it'll instill some fucking balls into the youngsters heads for the future.

5. He'll basically be a player-coach. Training and competing in the day to day. And helping the others grow. His own words were "to help reconstruct the best club in the world", and it's not by scoring goal or assisting. The world's most decorated player who loves the club and is extremely motivated can help in other ways as well.

6. Like I mentioned, if Xavi deems him good enough to play, then I fully trust that Xavi knows what he's doing, because logically he shouldn't play. If he does, he'll contribute with what he's still good at. Might not even play RB. So there's a small small chance that we get some direct help on the pitch footballing wise as well, even if I doubt this.

ajnotkeith

In a poll run by UOL Esporte (Big Brazilian sports channel), 86% of respondents said they would not want Alves playing for their club. On their podcast Posse de Bola, veteran sports writer Juca Kfouri agreed with them: “God help me. He’s a guy who thinks he’s more important than the club, who thought he was more important than Sao Paulo… I think he would be an element of contamination in my team.”

'Alves was spotted on Instagram having a party as Sao Paulo lost in the Libertadores to River Plate – he was recovering from a fractured arm at the time – and relations between him and fans started to sour. Days later, supporters protested outside the training ground, singing, “Oh, how good it would be if Dani Alves went back to Bahia,” the state where he was born.'

'By leaving in the middle of Sao Paulo's season to pursue his Olympic ambition, he infuriated Sao Paulo supporters. He had claimed to be one of them, in fact he said that he was going to “fight for this club more than any other fan.” Yet there he was in Japan after a dispute over money. In an Instagram post, the club’s biggest torcida organizada, or organised fan group, accused Alves of “abandoning” Sao Paulo and asked for his contract to be rescinded. Just over a month later, that is exactly what happened.'

'The cost is not only financial. The club looks embarrassingly incompetent. On UOL Esporte, columnist Menon wrote: “It was the worst signing in the history of Sao Paulo, certainly. And, I dare say, the worst in world football history'.

Here you can get an idea of how much they love Alves and his personality in Sao Paulo.

hardyboy

Our last 2 signings are 2 of the worst signings in history (Luuk and 38 year old good for nothing Alves). The club has reached new heights of incompetence. The people running the club are fucking clueless. Alves was done and dusted at top level 5 years ago. People who are defending this signing are bigger idiots.

Last edited:

Neeraj

This is just bizarre. It is backward looking and definitely doesn't help get rid of the senior players and amigo culture.

People forget that the last couple of seasons of Alves in Barca was frustrating as hell. He was always caught up and had 1 move - pass to Messi (and NOBODY else) and then fall down and hold his ankle if he loses the ball. He was truly terrible.

The quarter inch pipe of continuous liquid feaces that we then saw in the RB position post Alves made a lot of people talk about how we should have never sold Alves, etc. It was the right decision to sell him (just like Suarez), it's just what we did to replace him that was the issue. He was frustrating on the pitch back then, can't imagine what him at 38 yo now is going to give us.

Not to mention, what exactly is he going to solve? We're really not competing for much and this is the BEST time to get some young talent from somewhere and develop them, if you don't believe in Dest. Even is Alves provides more than some kid from France, this pressure free season can be used to do a lot of good. It's not like we're one RB away for competing for a treble, and even if we were, Alves wouldn't be what we need.

This transfer is just really disappointing.

Home of Barca Fans