Daniel Alves

Bobo32

His last worldclass performance. This wasnt Alves vs Argentinia, this was Argentinia vs Alves.

So he could play like that two years ago, FOUR years after people here apparently deemed him too old, as the club also did.
But now he has suddenly become a joke.
Do y'all ever stop and wonder if you shouldn't be so early in ruling players out? Question your own judgement?

Nice little "magic" pass for the pre-assist to the first goal btw. This is samba and tikitoki, Depay standing still at the corner and looking towards the stands when passing is not.

ajnotkeith

So he could play like that two years ago, FOUR years after people here apparently deemed him too old, as the club also did.
Do y'all ever stop and wonder if you shouldn't be so early in ruling players out? Question your own judgement?

Nice little "magic" pass for the pre-assist to the first goal btw. This is samba and tikitoki, Depay standing still at the corner and looking towards the stands when passing is not.

When you are at such an old age, your legs can go overnight, as they did at Sao Paulo.

Bobo32

When you are at such an old age, your legs can go overnight, as they did at Sao Paulo.

I saw legs in the olympics. Let us see.
I stand by this signing though even if he would turn out to have less of an impact than Aguero on the pitch - it is nice just to have him come and be able to "leave through the front door" finally.

What a player! How many years ago it was now that he used to own the entire right side of the pitch at Sevilla, spamming perfect crosses for Kanoute and being the only one who could dominate Ronaldinho. He is still sort of the same player in Fatis clip, but more mature and cool. So nice to see!

Gari

If we take any player in Barcelona 2020, we can write the same admiring words about everyone. And then Bayern comes in. And the young, unknown Canadian easily catches up with the old super player Suarez.

Birdy

You probably can't see very well
Cauz in that clip, the only traits of Dani that can be seen as not deteriorated is his passing, his close control of the ball, and ability not to get dispossessed statically (when not moving forward WITH the ball)
WHICH ARE NOTABLY THOSE FOOTBALLING SKILLS THAT NEVER WEAR OUT WITH AGE

Other than that, I saw a slow AF player, could not run, could not defend, could not dribble via running with the ball,
In short had all the problems that come with age and move a player into retirement,
and cherry on the top:
who positioned himself always inside, not taking the width of an RB
Imagine how fantastic that would be in resolving the already well-documented issue of non-existent width at Barca

And all that happened 2.5 years ago AND at a level well below the top in Europe: NT competitions

PS:
You can live in your dreamland and imagine what you want
You can imagine that we are bringing in the same Dani that was spamming perfect crosses at Sevilla and taking all right flank by himself.
Reality is we are bringing in an old retired fuck who took advantage of his legacy, privilege and nepotism that exists at Barca, and who will do more harm than good

Reality will soon crush smoothly your day-dreaming fantasies

Last edited:

clemente

Why are we even talking about him... He is supposed to be last 10 minutes man, even if that. If he is seriously gonna be starting games, then this club will be hitting a new low (surprised it's possible)

Bobo32

You probably can't see very well
Cauz in that clip, the only traits of Dani that can be seen as not deteriorated is his passing, his close control of the ball, and ability not to get dispossessed statically (when not moving forward WITH the ball)
WHICH ARE NOTABLY THOSE FOOTBALLING SKILLS THAT NEVER WEAR OUT WITH AGE

Other than that, I saw a slow AF player, could not run, could not defend, could not dribble via running with the ball,
In short had all the problems that come with age and move a player into retirement,
and cherry on the top:
who positioned himself always inside, not taking the width of an RB
Imagine how fantastic that would be in resolving the already well-documented issue of non-existent width at Barca

And all that happened 2.5 years ago AND at a level well below the top in Europe: NT competitions

PS:
You can live in your dreamland and imagine what you want
You can imagine that we are bringing in the same Dani that was spamming perfect crosses at Sevilla and taking all right flank by himself.
Reality is we are bringing in an old retired fuck who took advantage of his legacy, privilege and nepotism that exists at Barca, and who will do more harm than good

Reality will soon crush smoothly your day-dreaming fantasies

Anyone can just watch the vid and decide if you are correct or not. I think If they decide that you are correct, they might very well be insane.

I think you are not really insane, but just very locked in some thoughts. Not very interesting to read your takes tbh, and your pompous way of writing as if you held the ultimate truth, even though it is obvious you don't, doesn't make it more interesting.
You have a hangup of width and want the wingers to stay very wide (and even think some wingers are inherently unable to do so) but now you also want the wide backs to also stay wide. Most would say it's a waste to have four players wide. Also, Barcelonas problem wasn't non-existent width but bad wing players, and bad build-up, leaving them with much of the ball in isolation. It is preferrable to play through the centre, especially for Barcelona, the max width should just be held to open up the pitch and force a shift of the defence. It is very strange to criticize Alves for building up very succesfully from the half-space, especially since this is clearly on instruction from the Brazilian NT coach.

What did reality do to your day-dreaming fantasies of Koeman being a great coach etc that you were on about this spring?

Birdy

Anyone can just watch the vid and decide if you are correct or not. I think If they decide that you are correct, they might very well be insane.

I think you are not really insane, but just very locked in some thoughts. Not very interesting to read your takes tbh, and your pompous way of writing as if you held the ultimate truth, even though it is obvious you don't, doesn't make it more interesting.
You have a hangup of width and want the wingers to stay very wide (and even think some wingers are inherently unable to do so) but now you also want the wide backs to also stay wide. Most would say it's a waste to have four players wide. Also, Barcelonas problem wasn't non-existent width but bad wing players, and bad build-up, leaving them with much of the ball in isolation. It is preferrable to play through the centre, especially for Barcelona, the max width should just be held to open up the pitch and force a shift of the defence. It is very strange to criticize Alves for building up very succesfully from the half-space, especially since this is clearly on instruction from the Brazilian NT coach.

What did reality do to your day-dreaming fantasies of Koeman being a great coach etc that you were on about this spring?

If my insistence on width is insane, what do you make of Xavi's insistence on width then?

By the way, you write in pompous style as well, and think you hold the truth, even though some of your takes have been ridiculed.
So what's the need to use that as an argument?

Then, no you are wrong. And totally wrong I should say:
Barca's problem was not bad wingers, but playing only 'nominally' wide players that were never wingers, or were never wing-backs.
like Gavi as RW
like Braithwate as RW
like Griezzy as RW
like Cou as LW
like Roberto as RB
and of course, the most emblematic of all: like Messi as RW, creating in 80% of the games last 5 seasons a hole in RW position of our pass and touch maps

Wingers need to stay out wide to receive, and unlike Messi or Cou, not cut inside to receive
Wing- or Full-backs need to provide width, when the respective winger has cut inside AFTER (and only after) he had received the ball wide and dribbled past several players.
Width has to be maintained all the time. That doesn't mean that all 4 players are all the time out wide. There might be overlaps or underlaps, but each moment both left and right flanks HAVE to have at least ONE outfield player vERY wide.
And that's coming from Pep, if you believe he is any valuable tactical resource

It's not preferable to 'play through the center', which in reality means having not only 3 or 4 central players there, but also cramming full-backs and 'nominal' wingers or wide-forwards there, making the team unable to build up
Building up from half-space can only work, when there is another player occupying the full-space on the same flank.

Look at how City plays, and I bet you can't find any moment where you see any of the flanks empty in its full-space.
And if you paid any attention to the 'Dani masterclass' clip you posted, you would have seen that WHENEVER alves was at half-space, Jesus was at full space: most likely the result of Tite's instruction

On the contrary, bad wingers is something totally different. It's like playing Trincao or Collado or Konrad, and then say that they were not good enough, not doing enough of the things a winger should do

PS: I believe you can do better with your arguments.
Your argumentation has worsened a lot the last months.

Last edited:

Bobo32

If my insistence on width is insane, what do you make of Xavi's insistence on width then?

By the way, you write in pompous style as well, and think you hold the truth, even though some of your takes have been ridiculed.
So what's the need to use that as an argument?

Then, no you are wrong. And totally wrong I should say:
Barca's problem was not bad wingers, but playing only 'nominally' wide players that were never wingers, or were never wing-backs.
like Gavi as RW
like Braithwate as RW
like Griezzy as RW
like Cou as LW
like Roberto as RB
and of course, the most emblematic of all: like Messi as RW, creating in 80% of the games last 5 seasons a hole in RW position of our pass and touch maps

Wingers need to stay out wide to receive, and unlike Messi or Cou, not cut inside to receive
Wing- or Full-backs need to provide width, when the respective winger has cut inside AFTER (and only after) he had received the ball wide and dribbled past several players.
Width has to be maintained all the time. That doesn't mean that all 4 players are all the time out wide. There might be overlaps or underlaps, but each moment both left and right flanks HAVE to have at least ONE outfield player vERY wide.
And that's coming from Pep, if you believe he is any valuable tactical resource

It's not preferable to 'play through the center', which in reality means having not only 3 or 4 central players there, but also cramming full-backs and 'nominal' wingers or wide-forwards there, making the team unable to build up
Building up from half-space can only work, when there is another player occupying the full-space on the same flank.

Look at how City plays, and I bet you can't find any moment where you see any of the flanks empty in its full-space.
And if you paid any attention to the 'Dani masterclass' clip you posted, you would have seen that WHENEVER alves was at half-space, Jesus was at full space: most likely the result of Tite's instruction

On the contrary, bad wingers is something totally different. It's like playing Trincao or Collado or Konrad, and then say that they were not good enough, not doing enough of the things a winger should do

PS: I believe you can do better with your arguments.
Your argumentation has worsened a lot the last months.

I don't have time to read and respond to all this.
City use max width wingers and inverted wing backs a lot. Alves positioning in the clip is a lot like Walkers sometimes when he doesn't take up the midfield role but instead stay in that exact space. You notice that the wingers stayed wide instead, exactly as has been overly obvious in Peps Bayern and City a lot of the time.
I think Xavi will find a good use of the wings in different ways, in order to dominate centrally. I think Alves will be useful.

Birdy

I don't have time to read and respond to all this.
City use max width wingers and inverted wing backs a lot. Alves positioning in the clip is a lot like Walkers sometimes when he doesn't take up the midfield role but instead stay in that exact space. You notice that the wingers stayed wide instead, exactly as has been overly obvious in Peps Bayern and City a lot of the time.
I think Xavi will find a good use of the wings in different ways, in order to dominate centrally. I think Alves will be useful.

Read it again more carefully then, and you will see I already pointed what you just wrote.

Bobo32

Read it again more carefully then, and you will see I already pointed what you just wrote.

Brazil had good width in that game, yet you criticized Alves for his narrow positioning.
Then you write a novel repeating the things I already pointed out was wrong in your initial post, together with some BBZ-style irreleveancies.
It's just tiring.

Alves is a brilliant player and always was, we will all find out where he is at physically, I believe you'll be surprised, but no one knows, yet some are as sure that he is finished as they were six years ago.

Home of Barca Fans