Do you play football? At any level

Do you play football?

• Yes, I play regularly, 2-4 times per week

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I play once a week

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I play occasionally, maybe odd bounce game or kick around with my mates every few weeks or months

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I never play football

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maradona37

Have you played much football yourself? Doesn't have to be at a decent level, just curious if you play? You can talk about experiences if you like.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Until my mid 20 i played football on a very high level, not Bundesliga but close.....

In my free time we have often played at weekends but it stopped once we hit the 26/27 age mark, nowadays every 2-3 months 1 time, work + most of us have families so there is no time anymore....

Experiences: Thank god i never had really injuries but i know many guys who have knee pain which doesnt go away because of too many aggressive ppl who tackle you without regard to losses.... otherwise it made fun but i think i wouldnt do it again

Maradona37

Until my mid 20 i played football on a very high level, not Bundesliga but close.....

In my free time we have often played at weekends but it stopped once we hit the 26/27 age mark, nowadays every 2-3 months 1 time, work + most of us have families so there is no time anymore....

Experiences: Thank god i never had really injuries but i know many guys who have knee pain which doesnt go away because of too many aggressive ppl who tackle you without regard to losses.... otherwise it made fun but i think i wouldnt do it again
Nice one mate on the playing as a youngster, glad you enjoyed.

Glad you mostly avoided injuries. I have had some back pain from playing, it isn't easy to deal with.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Nice one mate on the playing as a youngster, glad you enjoyed.

Glad you mostly avoided injuries. I have had some back pain from playing, it isn't easy to deal with.

ah that's not nice, i have also sometimes problems with my under back but it's way better than a few years ago

do you have problems with the intervertebral disc?

Maradona37

ah that's not nice, i have also sometimes problems with my under back but it's way better than a few years ago

do you have problems with the intervertebral disc?
Nah it's nothing as bad as that. It's more issues of bending down and getting up. For now at least, it doesn't hurt much if at all in a stationary position or when walking.

Probably the way I play - lots of twists and turns, direction changes. Plus many years of playing without warming up maybe.

Birdy

I used to play until my mid-20s
Hadn't played for more than 10 years
But last winter/spring I played in some local tournament with some friends, and it was really nice reliving how it is to play the beautiful game

BerkeleyBernie

I'm American, no one except east coast white prep school kids and Latino or African descent kids played football when I was growing up. That's changed in the past couple of decades, of course.

I started playing football when I was 42 and fell in love with it. Was always a good athlete (lettered in high school gymnastics, decent intermediate tennis player; had been doing capoeira for several years when I started football). Ended up playing pickup games a lot over the next 20 years, nearly every day at some points, and sometimes 2x a day. Some coed amateur leagues. After a few years, no one could tell I started playing in my 40s as I became one of the better technical players on the pitch. I knew I could never out-athlete the younger players so I focused on technique, ball control, passing. Xavi was my model. I've played with some former pros during those pickup game years and was proud to have them compliment me and enjoy playing with me. They could see I approached the game like them, as a modern footballer, a team player, not the average hoof and chase or selfish dribbler typical of amateur players.

Had to have a hip replaced just before Covid hit, so have only been out to play a bit since then. Picked up a few pounds with the lack of activity after surgery and during early Covid days. I'll probably resume the occasional pickup game when I get back down to a weight I feel is safe for my joints.

Last edited:

Maradona37

Lmfao, now I am a quality player and an excellent dribbler, taking into account the players I play against and the level I play at. However, he's made himself out to be a superstar and actually says he has Messi level dribbling. Other than that he sounds like he's some sort of superstar. Comparing yourself to elite players shows you don't know the drastic difference in level you play at :lol:

He's talking like he could play at the top level, with comments like 'God given dribbling' and 'insane in tight spaces'. He is on the wind up.

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Lmfao, now I am a quality player and an excellent dribbler, taking into account the players I play against and the level I play at. However, he's made himself out to be a superstar and actually says he has Messi level dribbling. Other than that he sounds like he's some sort of superstar. Comparing yourself to elite players shows you don't know the drastic difference in level you play at :lol:

He's talking like he could play at the top level, with comments like 'God given dribbling' and 'insane in tight spaces'. He is on the wind up.

there is a reason why we call him Temptnaldo here :pique:

Rory

I've started playing again recently and it's been a wake up call for my fitness levels. 7 a side games on half size pitch, an hour long and I'm dead after 10-15 mins. So I have to walk around like Messi for most games until I build my fitness back up. Forgot just how fit you have to be to not be a complete mess on the pitch.

Maradona37

I've started playing again recently and it's been a wake up call for my fitness levels. 7 a side games on half size pitch, an hour long and I'm dead after 10-15 mins. So I have to walk around like Messi for most games until I build my fitness back up. Forgot just how fit you have to be to not be a complete mess on the pitch.
Yeah I play 5s and 7s these days too (I am playing tomorrow and adding a second two-hour game on Fridays from tomorrow night, so total of three hours) but it's a more modest level these days - or at least the first game will be. The second game will likely be a step up.

You're right though - when it's intense it can take a lot out of you. I still do okay though despite being out of shape. It's a weird thing in that I get much more tired walking than I do playing football - I attribute it to me focusing on something when playing football, and enjoying it more than walking, so it seems easier despite being more intense. Similar to how walking goes in faster and seems easier when you are looking at the sights, or walking with someone and talking, or listening to music.

But yeah, I get your overall point. It's hard to play football at an intense level for an hour to two hours. 7 a side games on half-size pitch with larger goals than 5 a sides is always a better game, though. It's more tactical and there's more players so it's more challenging in most senses (though 5s on small parks improves ability in tight spaces and hence first touch).

Glad you are enjoying getting back into it. What's your age range (you don't have to say)?

Home of Barca Fans