Franck Kessie

khaled_a_d

Here is some comparative data regarding Kessie and simiar players this season (Khephren Thuram, Kamara, Gavi, Sissoko, Renato Sanchez- but you can compare to any other player across Europe).

https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...1-2022&player_id6=cc77354e&p6yrfrom=2021-2022

1) You can see just why Xavi and Barcelona would find him interesting.

2) Boubacar Kamara stats hold up very well, and if you are looking for a pure alternative to Busquets, the data backs him up.

This is interesting data comparison, but I think I would prefer taking a different look.
Kessie is a CM/DM hybrid, and those are his likely position here.
So I am going to compare him to players in each position.

I am going to comment on per 90 stats

For DM:
First comparison is with potential replacements: https://fbref.com/tiny/haFBI
I think the biggest areas for comparison for this position are the defensive one, passing numbers, and possession.

I have put Busquets at the end of it since we have to make a comparison with what we currently have.
There are 2 other players we were linked to for this position, Kamara and Zubimendi so both in.
I have also put 2 other names, the one you suggested before is Thuram, and my own personal favorite Caqueret

The first thing I have to comment on, Zubimendi is just underwhelming, doesn't end in top 3 in any passing category of notice although being sole DM in RS and playing in stronger league should be taken into account. I think most remarkable is aerial ability.
Busquets stands well as usual. He has the most passes that ends the opponents 1/3 which is normal for our and his style.

Regarding Kessie: he is 1st in medium and long pass completion percentage, 2nd in short passes. 3 in xA and passes that lead to shots, frankly he is 1st in passes in penalty area and 2nd worst in passes in final one 3rd.
Dead last in passes under pressure
On defense, he is 1st in applying pressure on opponent 1/3, beating Caqueret which is just huge surprise, 1st in tackle % but he is 2nd least in total tackles and 4th in tackles won, 4th in both blocks and interception.
He is 4th in touches, 5th in touches in both defensive and middle one third, but 2nd in most touches for attacking one 3rd
Also, he is 2nd in non-penalty xG [MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION]

Kamara numbers are also great and it seems that being centerpiece for Sampaoli midfield is serving him well. Almost top 2 in every category (I am not looking into freekicks, corners etc), he is in the middle of the group when it comes to defensive numbers.

Caqueret passing completion number is underwhelming to my surprise, but there are passing aspects where he stands out. 2nd in xA and passes that lead to shots, 3rd in both passes in final 1/3 and penalty area. Second (to Busquets) in progressive passes.
3rd in passes under pressure (after Busquets and Kamara), 2nd in passes with head which is weird.
Defense is where he excels, first in tackles, by far the best in applying pressure, successful pressure, although that lead to watering down to his success rate, he is the worst with dealing with dribbles.

Thuram is in middle in terms of pass %, doing really well in xA,,XG passes that leads to shots, passes in penalty area. Worst in progressive distance and defensive numbers aren't impressive. Seems more of a midfielder that excels in attacking one 3rd?

Another DM comparison for Kessie with some of the world best in that position: https://fbref.com/tiny/ZiL0d
His numbers in comparison is underwhelming, except in one area that again stand out: Pressure in attacking 1/3, also good dribbler.

Now, a bit random comparison with some of the world best CM/b2b: https://fbref.com/tiny/h7eSE
Quick reading to it, his offense kind underwhelming now, but his defense look better, including pressure, you guessed it, in attacking 3rd.

Overall I am not sure if Kessie belongs here as Busi sub or replacement, or as a starting b2b either. I think the area he excels most is applying pressure on opponent 1/3 and it is an area that we have seen Xavi really insisting on ancient Busquets to do it, this for me makes the most sense of the transfer as we really lack that players. Not as disappointed of this transfer
Overall those comparison makes me think higher of Kamara, a bit disappointed on Caqueret numbers (still would love him here) and totally out of Zubimendi train.

Last edited:

Messi983

Barcelona reached a definitive agreement with Franck Kessie yesterday. He becomes the second signing of the 2022/2023 season after Christensen.— @gerardromero

behindbrowneyes

According to Gerard Romero he is the second signing of the club for summer after Christensen.

Guess this means the end for Roberto if Romero is right about Kessie.

Andresito

Staff member
Kessi?'s salary will be €4m net, but he could earn €2.5m more based on bonuses. [@gerardromero]

Porque

Kessi?'s salary will be €4m net, but he could earn €2.5m more based on bonuses. [@gerardromero]

On the other hand, the Mazraoui salary looks too high for what the squad currently has at the same position.

Por otra parte, en cuanto al defensa del Ajax Mazraoui, el periodista experto en 'mercato' Fabrizio Romano explic? este lunes que el Bar?a le ofrecer?a al futbolista entre 3,7 y 4 millones fijos por temporada y con unos incentivos que alcanzar?an los 5 millones por temporada.

Especially with bigger priorities such as Gavi and Araujo still in the balance.

JamDav1982

Christensen, Kessie and Mazraoui on free transfers is sensational stuff.

Added to the January window that is some unreal work in improving the squad for so little outlay in terms of fees that have in past hammered barca on salary cap.

Haaland is not arriving but couple good forward signings and Barca have a very very good squad again.

What a time to be alive.

khaled_a_d

Probably lies, except the 2.5m bonuses are very easy to get cause AC Milan made him a final offer in the range of 6m before he accepted ours.

Milan offered gross salary iirc.
And every player in the world has good portion of salary being bonus but rarely reported, probably Milan offer had bonus too but we just love to brag about it

Home of Barca Fans