Franck Ribery

iced1776

You mean that Ibra's natural position is ST? It's the other way around, a striker is more of a Inzaghi/Trezeguet/Eto'o type of player. Ibras natural position is more as a deep-lying forward / target man.
And no, Ribery can not solve for Ibras dry spell. Only Ibra himself can do that. But what you are proposing would change our tactics that we have built our football on. And that won't happen just because we bought Ibra.
So what should we do? Buy a pure striker? And play Ibra as an supporting forward? And what would be Messi's role? What system/tactics would we use? It's not like we can play Ibra as a winger, he has to be in the middle as our target man and creating space for the rest of the team.

Anyway, there are a couple of players that we should look at for our left wing (and no, I don't think Pedro can handle that role as our first choice - even though he's excellent backup). But Ribery is not the right man for the job imo. I would like to see Robinho on our left wing next season, he just has to grow up and see a shrink. I also think Perotti will be great in a season or two.

I agree that Ibra could make a fantastic target-man CF but its not how he's been trained to play for his entire career. He has the physique and the skill for it, but people have to understand that its a completely different role than what he's used to. I think this is the root of his current slump in form, but I also think that as he becomes comfortable he'll start doing his job, and quite well at that.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
would bojan going that direction make ribery stay at bayern?
Depends if Ribery sees Bojan as a real world class player. I dont think he does.

I could imagine a few players that would make Ribery stay in Munich. A renowned DM like Toulalan (who isnt really impossible) for example, and/or a FB like Bosingwa, a playmaker like Sneijder, van der Vaart (who were all linked with Bayern last season) ... etc.

how many goals does he have anyways?? and how many matches or appearances? (Ribery)
3 goals and 4 assists in 12 Bundesliga matches. Only 2 over the full 90 minutes though. He only had 580 minutes playing time in total!

maxan10

SirTugAlot
There has been suggestions of Arshavin taking up the left role, I personally would keep Pedro as a back up too,the obvious stand up candidates are Ribery, Robinho and Rooney, which is impossible. When you do bring in a player into the Barca system they do realise they maybe sacrificing their preferred positions as was the case with Henry, but I think there are a few good versatile options to choose from.
With Barca we have seen in the last couple of seasons Iniesta being utilized on the left attacking wing and he has done really well, how about that (I know he isn't a goal scorer but given the chance, things can change), then that would free up a slot for Fabregas perhaps or even someone like Gourcuff who can play infront of Xavi. Barcelona are a progressive club and they can adapt so I wouldn't expect formations to stay rigid for the next 5 years.

Last edited:
You mean that Ibra's natural position is ST? It's the other way around, a striker is more of a Inzaghi/Trezeguet/Eto'o type of player. Ibras natural position is more as a deep-lying forward / target man.
And no, Ribery can not solve for Ibras dry spell. Only Ibra himself can do that. But what you are proposing would change our tactics that we have built our football on. And that won't happen just because we bought Ibra.
So what should we do? Buy a pure striker? And play Ibra as an supporting forward? And what would be Messi's role? What system/tactics would we use? It's not like we can play Ibra as a winger, he has to be in the middle as our target man and creating space for the rest of the team.

Anyway, there are a couple of players that we should look at for our left wing (and no, I don't think Pedro can handle that role as our first choice - even though he's excellent backup). But Ribery is not the right man for the job imo. I would like to see Robinho on our left wing next season, he just has to grow up and see a shrink. I also think Perotti will be great in a season or two.
I guess a more accurate terminology for me to use for Ibra wld've been SS instead of ST. But I don't think we're really disagreeing on that I/T/E wld be labeled as CF, not ST.

I am not proposing that we "change our tactics that we have built our football on." We did buy Ibra for a reason & we did play with a 4-1-2-1-2 during CLF & the Classico that preceded it; so it's not even revolutionary.

What I'm saying is that Ibra can score a plenty, but he lacks the pace, the workrate & the natural goalscoring ability of an Eto'o or a Villa for him to act as a pure CF. What sets him appart is his technical ability; but to actually put it to work you need to be given the freedom & the space. As the spearhead of our attack his main task becomes to latch on the last pass & bang a goal. That's not where his main strength lies & that puts him in a situation where he needs to create space for himself without being provided the freedom of movement which could only come if he leaves the center & doing so obviously leaves us with no one to capitalize on it in the middle.

So Ribery won't solve, but neither wld Robinho or any other LW. Granted, we wld be better off than what we are now, but the problem will still remain that whatever chances we may create, they will not be capitalized upon as efficiently, whatever technical ability Ibra may have will not put to its most optimal usage. A pacey goal scoring machine (Torres, Villa…) wld provide Ibra the latitude in which he can strive in, the ability to capitalize on the chances we create, break through when the other team decides to line their bus in front of the goal & provide Messi with even more space to create his magic. The loss of width will be compensated by the LB/RB, Messi moving in-and-out to the wings & Ibra + CF attempt to escape marking by leaving the center; Ibra wldn't necessarily act as a winger but more in the mold of Ronaldinho, using his technique to create space & feed the CF.

Which leads me to believe that it cld work.

barca96

Ibra wldn't necessarily act as a winger but more in the mold of Ronaldinho, using his technique to create space & feed the CF.

Which leads me to believe that it cld work.

so true.
i mentioned this last year on the live blogs.i always got shot down :angry:

what i always used to mention was also that they could change during matches like how
ronnie-etoo-messi and henry-etoo-messi used to do it.
if we get a player like ribery or di maria, they would be stuck at LW.
they are not versatile like Villa.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Mixed feelings after his performance in Manchester. At times he looked useless and later on started looking his old self.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Mixed feelings after his performance in Manchester. At times he looked useless and later on started looking his old self.

he was useless until he got rafael sent off.

thereafter he wasn't marked (o'shea played CB really, lmao) and dominated the game.

immensely overrated? or just not jiving with things in bayern?

either way I don't want the merc at barca.

danny10257

ribery can hold the ball well and make precision passing. i think he would fit in nicely with barca. and with master pep ribery can learn to make better decisions and have a harder working attitude.

Home of Barca Fans