Gerard Deulofeu

Adversus

There wasn't anything to correct, worry about the quality of your own posts

Comprehension...Referred to Sevilla

Nice banter, still devoid of any substance or relevance to what I posted...Nothing has changed, no patience for ignorance

The first quote was in reference to Sevilla.

The second quote was in reference to Everton, the date is important because it came after a very good league cup performance and before another one which he played in but he hadn't been playing before that in the league. After the article he played in the next league game, his first and has been more or less a regular there after.

It was clear at the time it was a hint to Martinez.

serghei

It is true. Everton fits him. He should stay there for a lot of years. His style of play will be appreciated in England.

Richard.H

You just confirmed what I have been saying, no evidence...Everything else is just conjecture and, no, you're not smart enough to know better than me or some journalist who isn't privy to what actually goes on behind closed doors...Moreover, no talent, no matter how big, could go for a decade playing at a massive club & starring there & with the NT and somehow never be credibly linked to a disciplinary or poor attitude problem...They's simply never last and certainly wouldn't be promoted, made Captain etc.

And my contention has never been that he doesn't have a personality less in line with Xavi/Iniesta than say CR but it is irresponsible to keep repeating innuendo and treating it as fact...Moreover, I have only ever said he has deserved a chance with the 1st team, like everyone down to the social club member JDS who was with the 1st team for 5 seasons!

Agree with your other points but:
1. There are many players who've had atittude problems and still managed to make regular appearances for NT and playing at top clubs. Captain probably not. They aren't mutually exclusive.

2. I can't believe you're comparing the JDS situation to Deulofeu's. Deulofeu plays in a position that is now occupied by arguably the best 3 attackers in the world. Even before MSN, there was Sanchez and Pedro, who were clearly more talented (at the time) than him. There was also Cesc who both Tito and Tata did everything to accomodate. Do you expect Lucho to willingly having him share minutes with MSN, and in addition trying to accommodate Sandro and Munir? It would be impossible to have such a large rotation while keeping MSN in form.

JDS stayed because the midfield post-Pep (even during Pep's last year) was aging and there was a chance for many midfielders to break through to Barca. JDS didn't also have such a huge ceiling as Deulofeu, therefore he didn't mind playing less minutes. With a player like Deulofeu that has a high ceiling, it would be much more beneficial to have him play more instead of having him rot on the bench.

Basically you are confirming what we are arguing ,no evidence .no facts .just rumors
Emery didn't play D.Suarez that much ,most of his games he was subbed in and not a starter. until February both of them were almost playing same amount until Gerard said he had no interest for another loan .fans started to whistle him and Emery put him on his dog house (and ffs ,that comment was pointed to Barca not Sevilla)
This is probably one of the reasons Barca started the sell with buyback option over loans .Gerard for Sevilla was clearly not a player for the future and wasn't worth playing him . they had Vidal & Reyes in his position too so they really didn't need to play him either
D.Suarez himself asked to leave .even for another inferior team and he was the one pushed himself out of Sevilla . he is another prove that Emery isn't the best for a young player

I can easily twist your post and say it's a rumor also and completely fabricated. You don't have any evidence to show that Emery is a bad coach for developing young talent. In fact there is no evidence as to why D.Suarez left was due to that. It's not any more credible than what I said.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Agree with your other points but:
1. There are many players who've had atittude problems and still managed to make regular appearances for NT and playing at top clubs. Captain probably not. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Name one who has played for a decade at a top club, starred at every level, jumped levels, become the best player in the league, featured for the NT at every youth level (Not just been a part of it, but a key star) and made captain but had a disciplinary problem...There aren't any

2. I can't believe you're comparing the JDS situation to Deulofeu's. Deulofeu plays in a position that is now occupied by arguably the best 3 attackers in the world. Even before MSN, there was Sanchez and Pedro, who were clearly more talented (at the time) than him. There was also Cesc who both Tito and Tata did everything to accomodate. Do you expect Lucho to willingly having him share minutes with MSN, and in addition trying to accommodate Sandro and Munir? It would be impossible to have such a large rotation while keeping MSN in form.

JDS was mentioned to illustrate a point, that cantera players of quality all got a minimum of a shot with the 1st team...some, as in the case of Dos Santos, they sat on the bench for 5 seasons and rarely played...Hence the social club member joke that was going on for some time...Fontas, Muniesa, Jeffren, Rochina, etc...There are countless examples of talents that got a shot...Meanwhile, who has been a bigger name in the cantera for the past decade other than Leo or Bojan?...Deulofeu...Did he get a fair shot with the 1st team?

Moreover, you casually ignore the inclusion of talents like Munir & Sandro to rotate with MSN who on their best day will never have Gerard's talent...so clearly there's room for young players but not Deulo?...It's illogical but more importantly it sends a terrible message to the rest of the youth kids in the club

JDS stayed because the midfield post-Pep (even during Pep's last year) was aging and there was a chance for many midfielders to break through to Barca. JDS didn't also have such a huge ceiling as Deulofeu, therefore he didn't mind playing less minutes. With a player like Deulofeu that has a high ceiling, it would be much more beneficial to have him play more instead of having him rot on the bench.

I'm sorry but this argument is on par with Adversus in terms of how poorly thought out it was, I'd recommend rethinking this one before making an argument for JDS free ride for 5 seasons

JamDav1982

Name one who has played for a decade at a top club, starred at every level, jumped levels, become the best player in the league, featured for the NT at every youth level (Not just been a part of it, but a key star) and made captain but had a disciplinary problem...There aren't any

Far too strict set of criteria that takes any sample size way down.

You wont accept a lot of clubs as 'top clubs' and not many other young players at top clubs in other countries get the opportunity to be the 'best player in the league' as they dont always go on loan to lower league sides for a whole season if at all.

Loads of players with attitude problems dominate the youth ranks at their clubs and at national team level which essentially is the only thing you are saying Duelofeu has done.

Richard.H

JDS was mentioned to illustrate a point, that cantera players of quality all got a minimum of a shot with the 1st team...some, as in the case of Dos Santos, they sat on the bench for 5 seasons and rarely played...Hence the social club member joke that was going on for some time...Fontas, Muniesa, Jeffren, Rochina, etc...There are countless examples of talents that got a shot...Meanwhile, who has been a bigger name in the cantera for the past decade other than Leo or Bojan?...Deulofeu...Did he get a fair shot with the 1st team?

Moreover, you casually ignore the inclusion of talents like Munir & Sandro to rotate with MSN who on their best day will never have Gerard's talent...so clearly there's room for young players but not Deulo?...It's illogical but more importantly it sends a terrible message to the rest of the youth kids in the club

I'm sorry but this argument is on par with Adversus in terms of how poorly thought out it was, I'd recommend rethinking this one before making an argument for JDS free ride for 5 seasons

The truth is that youth level, NT level, and barca B level are in no way or shape an indication of how a player will perform for Barca. That's a very exclusive list you chose, but off the top of my head I can name Balotelli and Sterling who've had personality problems but have managed to have key roles in both the club level and national level. I'm sure there are many others, but not that I would know from the top of my head.

You make it sound like Deu was somehow betrayed. He made many appearances in preseason games, none of which was really impressive to anyone. Even JDS had some stand out games during preseason. I don't recall a single game in Barca where I watched Deu and thought he really stood out. Barca B yes, NT yes, Everton yes, heck even at Sevilla yes, but I saw nothing in Barca that said, "he is the greatest Barca B talent since Messi and Bojan." It's also extremely ironic that you mention Bojan, who despite being a Barca youth legend, couldn't make it to the first team. That's essentially my point with this paragraph, it's hard to tell how a player would develop into the first team.

It's not a bad message to any of the Barca youth kids. Everton is not some Sunday league team. Deulofeu's achievements and talent have been rewarded. He still is fully capable of returning, it's just the current circumstances at the first team make it impossible due to MSN and perhaps due to the coach also.

So you would rather have Deulofeu to stay in the bench or reserves (much like JDS) than to play regular first team football? For a user who acknowledges Barca B so much, that makes absolutely no sense. Deulofeu is maturing as a player everyday under Martinez. He would never have the same opportunity here under Lucho. AT VERY BEST, he would get the same amount of minutes as Sandro/Munir, maybe a bit more. There is no way that would be a better hypothetical situation for Deulofeu than his current one. It's a win-win for both Barca and Everton.

Last edited:

Garrus

Oh not again, It's always the same story, With the exact same sequence.
The Fanboyometer of some X person, maxes out over Y player, For unknown reasons.
Y player doesn't get the minutes X person think he should.
X person decides his opinion is more correct and relevant than the coach.
X person in response, Conjures up stories of 'persecution' of Y player, with the occasional conspiracy theory, Or the classic ' Our coach is blind and an idiot'.
Y player over the time becomes irrelevant and eventually show why he never got the minutes and the X person looks the other way and hopes no one remembers his blathering long ago, Or on the rare occasion the Y player eventually performs, And The X person starts shouting on how he knew it all along and what a genius he is.
Rinse and repeat!

This at one time happened with Tello, Then montoya, Then bartra, Then samper recently, And apparently it's gerard's turn now.
The facts are, Gerard went to everton, Failed to get any appreciable minutes, Fairly i might add, Decided to go to sevilla, Failed even more to get minutes, Again quite fairly, And he returned to barca with nothing but a CV of disappointment to a treble winning players and coach, And he received the rational response from the club, There really isn't any more to it than that.
Yet like always, There is always someone who has his head buried deep in the sand, Amused with the voice of his own narratives, That he tires to shove it down other people's throat.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The truth is that youth level, NT level, and barca B level are in no way or shape an indication of how a player will perform for Barca.

That wasn't the question, was it?

That's a very exclusive list you chose, but off the top of my head I can name Balotelli and Sterling who've had personality problems but have managed to have key roles in both the club level and national level. I'm sure there are many others, but not that I would know from the top of my head.

Number one, Balotelli jumped around from club to club and even was rejected as a youth at Barcelona for the very same reasons at the heart of this discussion - so, no not an example....Sterling was never a disciplinary case and again, a player who has moved around - he was at no club for more than 5 seasons...So no, no examples you can list

You make it sound like Deu was somehow betrayed. He made many appearances in preseason games, none of which was really impressive to anyone. Even JDS had some stand out games during preseason. I don't recall a single game in Barca where I watched Deu and thought he really stood out.

Betrayed?...By his boyhood club?...Absolutely and for all the reasons I have already cited

But I agree, in the limited action, emphasis on the few occasions - no, he never made a splash with the 1st team to match that of his other playing levels...Sporadic preseason appearances is no indicator of integration...Sergi Roberto says hello

Barca B yes, NT yes, Everton yes, heck even at Sevilla yes, but I saw nothing in Barca that said, "he is the greatest Barca B talent since Messi and Bojan."

Not surprisingly then, you've only been watching the club for a short time to even doubt how highly touted the player is...Not a topic for discussion to even entertain, anyone who has followed the club knows this to be true...Even as greatly hyped as LSW is, it's been for a far shorter period of time than that of Deulofeu

It's also extremely ironic that you mention Bojan, who despite being a Barca youth legend, couldn't make it to the first team. That's essentially my point with this paragraph, it's hard to tell how a player would develop into the first team.

The same player who couldn't make it with the 1st team yet played with them for 4 seasons...Again, illustrating my point, that even Bojan got an extended opportunity to show he could make it to the 1st team eventhough ultimately he was deemed surplus...Deulofeu never got this chance and I would contend Gerard is a bigger talent than Krkic as well

It's not a bad message to any of the Barca youth kids. Everton is not some Sunday league team. Deulofeu's achievements and talent have been rewarded. He still is fully capable of returning, it's just the current circumstances at the first team make it impossible due to MSN and perhaps due to the coach also.

Everton is on par with Sevilla, a mid table club - without silverware...Even from his first loan spell, he was the most dangerous player on the pitch whenever he played

The bad message that you're failing to appreciate for Barcelona youth is that a Catalan kid who has spent his life at his boyhood club, spurned poaching from the Premiership, starred for their youth teams and ultimately never given a shot with the 1st team...If it isn't painfully obvious to you, the message is that you aren't likely to get a fair shot as a youth player - even if you're Catalan...To the detriment of the foundation of the club

So you would rather have Deulofeu to stay in the bench or reserves (much like JDS) than to play regular first team football? For a user who acknowledges Barca B so much, that makes absolutely no sense. Deulofeu is maturing as a player everyday under Martinez. He would never have the same opportunity here under Lucho. AT VERY BEST, he would get the same amount of minutes as Sandro/Munir, maybe a bit more. There is no way that would be a better hypothetical situation for Deulofeu than his current one. It's a win-win for both Barca and Everton

JDS didn't stay with the reserves, he just sat on the bench and rarely played...Deulofeu is not JDS and he certainly is a bigger talent than Sandro & Munir who already have more minutes this season than Gerard has at Everton.

We have no wide players to rotate with our attacking trident, none

J

Jamie Cal

I'd relax on this on whole argument, lads. There's obvious pros and cons. And anyway, the likelihood is he'll come back anyway.

Adversus

Oh not again, It's always the same story, With the exact same sequence.
The Fanboyometer of some X person, maxes out over Y player, For unknown reasons.
Y player doesn't get the minutes X person think he should.
X person decides his opinion is more correct and relevant than the coach.
X person in response, Conjures up stories of 'persecution' of Y player, with the occasional conspiracy theory, Or the classic ' Our coach is blind and an idiot'.
Y player over the time becomes irrelevant and eventually show why he never got the minutes and the X person looks the other way and hopes no one remembers his blathering long ago, Or on the rare occasion the Y player eventually performs, And The X person starts shouting on how he knew it all along and what a genius he is.
Rinse and repeat!

This at one time happened with Tello, Then montoya, Then bartra, Then samper recently, And apparently it's gerard's turn now.
The facts are, Gerard went to everton, Failed to get any appreciable minutes, Fairly i might add, Decided to go to sevilla, Failed even more to get minutes, Again quite fairly, And he returned to barca with nothing but a CV of disappointment to a treble winning players and coach, And he received the rational response from the club, There really isn't any more to it than that.
Yet like always, There is always someone who has his head buried deep in the sand, Amused with the voice of his own narratives, That he tires to shove it down other people's throat.

He started most of the games he was fit for Everton in his first season once he won his position around the start of November. He wouldn't have returned if he wasn't happy how much he was played. It's a myth that people on this forum kept repeating because they expected him to play every game because they disrespected Everton as a club and the players we have. A team that came 5th that year with 72 points.

Anyway another assist today. :)

BarcaJack

Actually I think Liverpool under Klopp would be a better place for him. He needs to be in a more ambitious team. However...

xavisionary

Everton are a class team, most people in the UK respect them for what they do on their budget. Hope he stays there for a long time.

Home of Barca Fans