Ivan Rakitić

utility73

I disagree strongly with this assessment. First of all, you mention a player with Rakitić's work-rate and defensive capabilities but more refined technique and vision, who would that be?

Secondly, Rakitić the hybrid brings the versatility Barcelona needs. He can play in basically in any position in the midfield and perform well. I think the goal against man city really exemplifies his play and qualities. He was back defending at our own box and then ran across the entire pitch to receive that ball from Messi, which he tucked away with a solid finish and a good display of technique.

When we're not in possession, he presses and runs like a madman and I think he quite often recovers balls and make good interceptions. When we're in attack, he very often makes intelligent runs to draw defenders or get into a position to score and he has the ability to give a good pass. I remember watching a video of all of Barcelona goals this season like a month back and it struck me how often this guy made good runs in those clips.

He's an extra DM when we're defending and an extra attacking player when we're attacking. He's a jack of all trades, master of none. The engine of our midfield. Our front trio have no problems whatsoever to score and create goals so I think it'd be unwise to compromise the balance he brings for some more creativity. If anything, that should come from Iniesta's position.

To me at least, Rakitić and Busquests should always start in the midfield together in big games.

Your post absolutely nailed it.

BBZ8800

With Modric you get more of Barca's Dna in terms of passing/control/movement/build up, but with Modric you again lose some physical height, some muscles, some arial duels, some loose balls on the center of the pitch, because Raki is stronger than Modric and probably slightly better defensively.

I wouldn't trade Raki for Modric.
With Modric, we would just go back to 2 short players midfield like Xavi-Iniesta or Iniesta-Modric which could be easily bullied by Chelsea, Bayern and similar physical teams.

Modric is better in some aspects, but he lacks in some other aspects.
Raki is closest to ("younger") Van Bommel from Barca's era 2005/2006.
He brings some physical skills, a lot of workrate and balance into our midfield, and our team isn't losing (too much) in attack, and especially not in defense with him.

(Raki is even better technically than Van Bommel)

Last edited:

fcbdna

Banned
Gundogan is one. Someone in the mold of David Pizarro in his prime.

Pizaro was a terrible midfielder in his time and did a horrendous job in the midfield . . Never liked him.
Always bit more than he could chew.
The job of a midfielder is to make the complex seem simple. . . Not worsen it.

Last edited:

Darko

Rakitic is Cesc with a better work rate and defensive contribution, the comparisons with Matic, Van Bommel and Pizzaro are ridiculous.

FinBarcelonafan

He had great game and I was little bit surprised how hard he was going vs Bayern players. He played really physical and good game defensively. Great signing for us!!

messi2140

6racies Xavi
4:05 :lol:

Someone gif that please

6e395zg9.gif

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree strongly with this assessment. First of all, you mention a player with Rakitić's work-rate and defensive capabilities but more refined technique and vision, who would that be?

Secondly, Rakitić the hybrid brings the versatility Barcelona needs. He can play in basically in any position in the midfield and perform well. I think the goal against man city really exemplifies his play and qualities. He was back defending at our own box and then ran across the entire pitch to receive that ball from Messi, which he tucked away with a solid finish and a good display of technique.

When we're not in possession, he presses and runs like a madman and I think he quite often recovers balls and make good interceptions. When we're in attack, he very often makes intelligent runs to draw defenders or get into a position to score and he has the ability to give a good pass. I remember watching a video of all of Barcelona goals this season like a month back and it struck me how often this guy made good runs in those clips.

He's an extra DM when we're defending and an extra attacking player when we're attacking. He's a jack of all trades, master of none. The engine of our midfield. Our front trio have no problems whatsoever to score and create goals so I think it'd be unwise to compromise the balance he brings for some more creativity. If anything, that should come from Iniesta's position.

To me at least, Rakitić and Busquests should always start in the midfield together in big games.

:goodpost:

Barcilliant

Rakitic has been an absolute steal. I knew he'd be an improvement over that childish, petulant Cesc.
He offers so much in terms of work rat, defence and offence.

Home of Barca Fans