Jose Mourinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jordzibob

Great post. Mourinho cant establish an "everyone against us" mentality if the fans arent on board with him too, and there are obvious examples which show Madrid fans woudlnt be happy with his style of football.

At the same time though, would they be? Question to Gio, would you rather see Mourinho employ his normal style to Madrid? Winning must surely just be the ultimate goal now, scrap any of the shit that means you have to look good.

At the end of the day, why would you employ a manager who has reached his success employing a certain style, and then force him to change it? If Madrid are smart they'll let Mourinho just do his thing, imo. Which they arent.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Eventually they will. After this season some people might realize that without trusting the coach Madrid will not win anything. Couldn't have done that with Pellegrini since he wasn't the best choice possible, but Mourinho is so there aren't any choices to make other than trusting him in full.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I'd love to read that but the power of 'Enter' goes a long way.

But reading through the first few lines you made a mistake. Pellegrini played nice football but just as much as Mourinho. Everytime he reverted back to 4 2 2 2 it was boring and confusing as hell. He wasn't more entertaining than Mourinho, not by much anyways.

Beast

The Observer
The thing is, in essence to me, crystal clear and it has to do absolutely with tactics and only that..
Pellegrini's attacking flair style of football, which he exhibited in villareal, is suiting madrid's all-time style and their fans expectations about football..
On the contrary Murinho, may be a master tactician, but the tactics he employs are 1000% defensive, or lets say better "have your back fully covered, and we see what happens upfront". This was perfectly exempified last season in camp Nou and the ultra-defensive positioning of inter on the pitch. Murinho at the post-match conference went on to make an astonishing statement, which sums up some of his views about football: "We didn’t want the ball because we lose our position – I never want to lose position on the pitch so I didn’t want us to have the ball. We gave it away".
Murinho's 'sitting back deep and tight' neccessity was not a problem and was applied with great success in porto (which is a club easily drifted towards whoever is the coach), chelsea (who had not seen a league title for so many years before murinho) and Inter( same case + italian all time defensive style). Given that he had great attackers upfront and his ability he created leathal counter-attacking sides, but able to win weak opponents with just attacking... But i am doubtfull whether this can be applied to MAdrid..
CApello proved efficient with boring,defensive football 3 years ago and yet he was sucked.. Perez has the same mentalite as the average fan of the club, and wants attacking football.
This leaves many question about pellegrini's dismissal and murinho's appointment in the first place and may be leaving murinho himself with questions..
How else could you explain the fact that he denied himslef and gave the game to barcelona with his ludicrous decision to play with such a high defensive line in camp nou ? The man is maybe bothering himself about how is he going to shape madrid..

What we have seen for madrid this year is high line positioning and quick counter-attacking football.
Pellegrini, employed a more possessioning type of football (which was devastating in LA Liga, but prone to cohesive quick sides like Lyon), and IMO had he stayed this year woulb have been much harder for us..
Madrid will definetely not reach 96 points.. They may eliminate Lyon though and go up to a CL semi-final as this style is more efficient in home-away games..

Ok ..

First Jose' Madrid has more possession than Manuel's Madrid
second , Jose didn't employ any defensive tactics with Real this season not even vs Barca, so basing your post based on his history with other previous teams while discussing the current season and with Real doesn't apply .
Third and most important for you , Manuel was sacked not because of his style of the game but his clear failure in all the "Must win " games , that happened in the Copa (scandalous ) ,Vs Barca twice and in the CL along with other "prestigious " games like vs Milan in group stage.
his reactions (or lack of ) from the bench condemned him , we are not facing a normal competition here but a cut throat vs the strongest team in the planet. so losing such crucial games are not acceptable .
add to that through out the season he couldn't establish a style.. we saw 4-5 formation tried until the first defeat than he switch ..compared to the clear ideas' of Jose's 4-2-3-1
If you disregard the classico and even the Copa defeat and go to the game Vs Lyon ... there is no excuse considering the gap between both sides and even than and with such resources Manuel couldn't master a change in Real fortunes despite having 100 % backing of the strong man Valdano .
At the end he had his chances and Valdano protected him several times after the Copa and the CL but the display in Santiago Bernabeu vs Barca was his ticket out.

you could wait for a manager who can improve things but Manuel problem is clearly losing the tactical battle in cut throat games and in that Mourinho is better even with the 5-0 blip
Great post. Mourinho cant establish an "everyone against us" mentality if the fans arent on board with him too, and there are obvious examples which show Madrid fans woudlnt be happy with his style of football.

At the same time though, would they be? Question to Gio, would you rather see Mourinho employ his normal style to Madrid? Winning must surely just be the ultimate goal now, scrap any of the shit that means you have to look good.

At the end of the day, why would you employ a manager who has reached his success employing a certain style, and then force him to change it? If Madrid are smart they'll let Mourinho just do his thing, imo. Which they arent.

You cannot establish an "Us against them " in Madrid not even if u tried cause people and fans know the club popularity in almost every part of Spain and the world and we always had our haters and fans so it's nothing you could sell to Ramos,Iker even the likes of CR who lived here for a year before Jose.. maybe pull it with the new guys and could explain the success of Di Maria and Ozil but not the old guards .
plus it's a case of a club bigger than personal, those who came here came because it's Real Madrid not because it's Jose coaching (probably with the exception of Ricardo ), Mourinho in Madrid case is a plus but not the reason.

Jose style is actually very commendable , they like him in the Bernabeu , he play attacking football and even got praise for his game style from arch-rivals like Cruyff.
getting worked out for his statements doesn't bother anyone .. he is not the first to employ that tactic (see Schuster ) so again it's not biggie .
Jose cannot employ his normal style in Madrid , he knew that the moment he took over, scrap that the moment he was offered the job and he made his wanted list based on 4 attacking players , short passing , counter attacking and defending from the front..
Till Higuain injury we had big success as Higuain pressured the defender than came the injury right before the clasico and even the goals scored decreased dramatically
make no mistake Jose may refer to his tactics in one game or two but as long as it's an exception not a rule and brings success no one will mention it or be bothered by it ..
there is a difference between applying this in a cup must win game and making it your style (similar to what Capello pulled in his first 5 month ) and even than Fabio had to switch on the style in the last 14 games which saw end to end drama back to back till we won the game .
I appreciate some of what Jose is trying to do (not all of it ) but to compare him with Pellegrini is a bad comparison in terms of abilities as a manager... you won't have doubts about people suggesting to give Jose more time 2-3 years .. you know he will deliver sooner or later .. but ask those same people about Manuel and the answer will be the opposite

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Ok ..

second , Jose didn't employ any defensive tactics with Real this season not even vs Barca, so basing your post based on his history with other previous teams while discussing the current season and with Real doesn't apply .
Third and most important for you , Manuel was sacked not because of his style of the game but his clear failure in all the "Must win " games , that happened in the Copa (scandalous ) ,Vs Barca twice and in the CL along with other "prestigious " games like vs Milan in group stage.
his reactions (or lack of ) from the bench condemned him , we are not facing a normal competition here but a cut throat vs the strongest team in the planet. so losing such crucial games are not acceptable .
add to that through out the season he couldn't establish a style.. we saw 4-5 formation tried until the first defeat than he switch ..compared to the clear ideas' of Jose's 4-2-3-1
If you disregard the classico and even the Copa defeat and go to the game Vs Lyon ... there is no excuse considering the gap between both sides and even than and with such resources Manuel couldn't master a change in Real fortunes despite having 100 % backing of the strong man Valdano .
At the end he had his chances and Valdano protected him several times after the Copa and the CL but the display in Santiago Bernabeu vs Barca was his ticket out.

you could wait for a manager who can improve things but Manuel problem is clearly losing the tactical battle in cut throat games and in that Mourinho is better even with the 5-0 blip

You cannot establish an "Us against them " in Madrid not even if u tried cause people and fans know the club popularity in almost every part of Spain and the world and we always had our haters and fans so it's nothing you could sell to Ramos,Iker even the likes of CR who lived here for a year before Jose.. maybe pull it with the new guys and could explain the success of Di Maria and Ozil but not the old guards .
plus it's a case of a club bigger than personal, those who came here came because it's Real Madrid not because it's Jose coaching (probably with the exception of Ricardo ), Mourinho in Madrid case is a plus but not the reason.

Jose style is actually very commendable , they like him in the Bernabeu , he play attacking football and even got praise for his game style from arch-rivals like Cruyff.
getting worked out for his statements doesn't bother anyone .. he is not the first to employ that tactic (see Schuster ) so again it's not biggie .
Jose cannot employ his normal style in Madrid , he knew that the moment he took over, scrap that the moment he was offered the job and he made his wanted list based on 4 attacking players , short passing , counter attacking and defending from the front..
Till Higuain injury we had big success as Higuain pressured the defender than came the injury right before the clasico and even the goals scored decreased dramatically
make no mistake Jose may refer to his tactics in one game or two but as long as it's an exception not a rule and brings success no one will mention it or be bothered by it ..
there is a difference between applying this in a cup must win game and making it your style (similar to what Capello pulled in his first 5 month ) and even than Fabio had to switch on the style in the last 14 games which saw end to end drama back to back till we won the game .
I appreciate some of what Jose is trying to do (not all of it ) but to compare him with Pellegrini is a bad comparison in terms of abilities as a manager... you won't have doubts about people suggesting to give Jose more time 2-3 years .. you know he will deliver sooner or later .. but ask those same people about Manuel and the answer will be the opposite

There's no way in hell I'm reading all of this, but I'll agree with you anyway.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Ok ..

I agree with most of the points you made. Mou made an improvement in possession and he doesn't stray as much as Manuel regarding the system.
You have to look at negative sides as well though. Where are those Spaniards Perez was speaking, what about Mou's clash with Valdano and why is Madrid hated in Spain like they haven't been in years? Seems to me Perez is willing to sacrifice everything this season just to bring you a trophy but is Mou really bigger than Real Madrid?
We'll see how things pan out in few months but I strongly feel Perez won't put up with another trophy-less season.
If you had one of your legends as your coach, someone who gives more chances to home grown players and plays attractive football then it would be another matter.

Birdy

@beast
Firsly, i think Copa del Reay elimination was a surprise, not a 'must-win' case like Lyon.. And in Milan they deserved the win, and in Camp nou although i hate to say it, they deserved a draw..

I agree that Murinho is much more talented as a manager and versatile than Manou, but judging from his history there is no way he will Ever employ non-defensive (or lets say better non- meticulously designed defensive) tactics (in other words attack without caring what happens in the back, something that barca does) in 'must win' games, something that Pellegrini did despite his shortcomings.(and something that is blended together with madrid all time mentality)..
And even with easy opponents, i have not seen attacking football from murinho as you say.. Counter-attacking is a different thing, and also a different thing is to put Ronaldo, Higuain, ozil upfront -with one fullback possibly overlapping - and let them mess up with the defenders while at the same time have always 6 men at least to cover in the back..
Cohesive, high-pressure, compact, effective and quick style yes.. Maybe more fascinating than Pellegrini;s style, but attacking? no, i dont think show..Counter-attacking maybe.. Even when madrid trails a goal, or is at draw and wants badly a goal, i have not seen everyone joining the attack, like what i see with Barca.. Watch their goals against Sociedad.. In none of them, there are more than 4 men in the box.. And its the same story from the begging of the season.. (Only with Villareal murinho employed both ozil, kaka as duo trequartista, but i did not watch this game so i have my doubts about how many were actually attacking..) thats why he faces problems with disciplined defensive sides like Osasuna..

My post is contradicting itself cause Murinho is contradicting himself with the tactics he employed in the 5-0 defeat.. he faced a leathal team in open space, and he put his line at the one third border of the pitch.. like when he faces getafe home...
and i havent come yet to my conclusion about what he want to do with madrid..

I think that Murinho highlight was neither Inter, nor Porto (although he celebrated two CLs there), but Chelsea because he integrated the British tempo in his game, and this made his side a little bit more fascinating. Had Inter of Porto faced a very disciplined and anti-football team in their ways to the CL final, i have serious doubts about what would have happened

@Raed
The fact that Pellegrini tactics did not prove effective and that he needed more time to built the team the way he wanted, does not mean that he had the same orientation with Murinho.. Its clear that Pellegrini wanted to built an attacking side like villareal in a bigger club basis, whereas murinho wants to bring results so his first priority is to defend, not to attack..

PS: Agree with Jorzibob.. they are stupid.. Perez especially.. And i have strong preminition that Madrid wont win anything this year (La Liga is Barca's, CL they donot have the strength from this year to win a semi, if they lose in Copa's final they wont win anything) and perez will go nuts and suck murinho.. If this happens and he then hires Benitez, i will

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Barcelona have scored half of their goals this season from fast counter attacks, does that make them counter attacking? No.

Real Madrid don't play an defensive game, just cautious and they do defend with a lot of men. Mourinho said we will defend with 10 men and attack with 6, which has been his policy all a long. You see things the way you want to see them because you have already made up your mind.

He has played about 5 games in total that were boring and defensive, ones he has admitted to and apologized to the crowd for all on his own. Under Pellegrini we went on a 11 match streak of winning playing mind numbing football, and if you remember correctly the fans were complaining.

Pepe Silvia

Mourinho needs room to work and do his job without the suit and ties interfering. That's almost impossible with a team like Real Madrid who are foaming at the mouth for a trophy and expect their football played in a certain way. Mourinho's portfolio includes defensive tactics no matter the team, and he would have employed them against Barcelona and had a better chance to win some points. Problem is, most fans aren't smart and only want to see entertaining brands of football being played and even more, the general fan/office staff has no patience. It would be suicide for Mou to go against what everyone in Madrid wants. That can only be good for Barcelona.

Birdy

You know better the whole 'inside ' stuff..

Firstly, as i said before i have not yet figured out what he wants to do, so i have not made my mind yet..
And i didnot use the word boring about murinho's style in madrid, cause one's preference in football is subjective.. But you cannot doubt that Murinho empoys defensive-oriented tactics..

You pointed yourself the difference.. Madrid has at best 6 to attack (and not more than 4 in the box in any case..), while barcelona can attack with 9 even 10 sometimes, and put as much as 7 in the box, in 'need to score' cases...
And i dont think he is even attacking with 6.. when Alonso and Kedhira stay outside of the box or even between box and halfway line they are not really attacking.. they are fuctioning auxilliary .. I have to see yet madrid trying to break opponents buses by pushing as much as 8 players near the borderlines of the box, something not only barcelona does, but a hell lot of teams in 'need to score' cases..
And when a manager needs men at the back to feel safe against weaker sides, then i think he is defensive-oriented...

This approach may be super-effective and can deliver titles, but you should admit it is different from the approach that delivered 2 CL for madrid, when the 'Galacticos' were 'attacking'.. Maybe football has changed a lot since then (thats why Perez cannot repeat success by just buying what is out there), but they had the mentality to go out and attack...

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
I agree with most of the points you made. Mou made an improvement in possession and he doesn't stray as much as Manuel regarding the system.
You have to look at negative sides as well though. Where are those Spaniards Perez was speaking, what about Mou's clash with Valdano and why is Madrid hated in Spain like they haven't been in years? Seems to me Perez is willing to sacrifice everything this season just to bring you a trophy but is Mou really bigger than Real Madrid?
We'll see how things pan out in few months but I strongly feel Perez won't put up with another trophy-less season.
If you had one of your legends as your coach, someone who gives more chances to home grown players and plays attractive football then it would be another matter.

That's why i said i appreciate some of what Jose is trying to do not all of it .
I concur there is issues within and he still cannot grasp not being no 1 in the club .
regarding the hate i think he did a good job in turning the hate to him not the club.. people talk about him(dislike) more than the club which is a good thing
but at the end we do have our haters and our lovers.. Jose won't help in that neither did the more loveable Pellegrini it's just the way it is

Jose will never be bigger than the club , Perez know this , Jose knows this.. Perez putting his head on the line for Jose is what any sane president will do cause the club do need leadership and Jose can provide that (even wrongly at times ) but at the end Iker isn't the strong personality (loveable ? for sure , strong ? no not in a Hierro/Puyol type ) to control the CR's of the team .

Sadly we don't have an immediate legends whoever i see a new Del Bosque rising up in our youth ranks , watch out for Alberto Toril
Alberto-Toril.jpg

He won the league and cup with our youth team and was installed as Castilla manager a month + ago to help save struggling Castilla in third division , the result was instant back to back wins for a month + now .. high scoreline even struggling Morata in Castilla is scoring for fun every game and the team moved to third place which allow them a playoff (we could have a Clasico in segunda next season:thumbsup2: )
@beast
Firsly, i think Copa del Reay elimination was a surprise, not a 'must-win' case like Lyon.. And in Milan they deserved the win, and in Camp nou although i hate to say it, they deserved a draw..

I agree that Murinho is much more talented as a manager and versatile than Manou, but judging from his history there is no way he will Ever employ non-defensive (or lets say better non- meticulously designed defensive) tactics (in other words attack without caring what happens in the back, something that barca does) in 'must win' games, something that Pellegrini did despite his shortcomings.(and something that is blended together with madrid all time mentality)..
And even with easy opponents, i have not seen attacking football from murinho as you say.. Counter-attacking is a different thing, and also a different thing is to put Ronaldo, Higuain, ozil upfront -with one fullback possibly overlapping - and let them mess up with the defenders while at the same time have always 6 men at least to cover in the back..
Cohesive, high-pressure, compact, effective and quick style yes.. Maybe more fascinating than Pellegrini;s style, but attacking? no, i dont think show..Counter-attacking maybe.. Even when madrid trails a goal, or is at draw and wants badly a goal, i have not seen everyone joining the attack, like what i see with Barca.. Watch their goals against Sociedad.. In none of them, there are more than 4 men in the box.. And its the same story from the begging of the season.. (Only with Villareal murinho employed both ozil, kaka as duo trequartista, but i did not watch this game so i have my doubts about how many were actually attacking..) thats why he faces problems with disciplined defensive sides like Osasuna..

My post is contradicting itself cause Murinho is contradicting himself with the tactics he employed in the 5-0 defeat.. he faced a leathal team in open space, and he put his line at the one third border of the pitch.. like when he faces getafe home...
and i havent come yet to my conclusion about what he want to do with madrid..

I think that Murinho highlight was neither Inter, nor Porto (although he celebrated two CLs there), but Chelsea because he integrated the British tempo in his game, and this made his side a little bit more fascinating. Had Inter of Porto faced a very disciplined and anti-football team in their ways to the CL final, i have serious doubts about what would have happened

PS: Agree with Jorzibob.. they are stupid.. Perez especially.. And i have strong preminition that Madrid wont win anything this year (La Liga is Barca's, CL they donot have the strength from this year to win a semi, if they lose in Copa's final they wont win anything) and perez will go nuts and suck murinho.. If this happens and he then hires Benitez, i will

what do you call defensive tactic ? serious question ? cause i think you don't know the exact meaning of the word .. you are basing your opinion on Jose prior time with other teams
a team attacking constantly with 5 + players is neither with bigger all possession isn't a counter attacking side
scoring a goal on the counter is the same way you score it with Messi and Pedro ALL THE TIME.. does that make you a counter attacking -defensive side ? when you close down a team like yesterday it's the exact same way we do , our defence stand around the halfway line with the rest of the team doing a siege on the other team
you use Messi talents and speed the same way Jose use CR speed in some games
You haven't seen anyone joining the attack ? Arbeloa, Ramos ,Ricardo,Pepe all join the attack all the time when there is a chance same way Pique , Puyol and the DM stay at the back with Xavi in the center it's not any different than Jose.. go to any of our games and see where our defense stands when we are controlling the ball
Marcelo is part of the 5 man attack the only two who keep themselves in the middle to collect the ball are Xabi-Khedira and that's their role in a 4-2-3-1 formation .. you have to consider that just cause teams don't play 4-3-3 doesn't make them defensive and we do face teams defending and counter attacking us so the "counter attacks " isn't sufficient .
you should watch Jose in Real more and refer back to our goals
he didn't face problems vs Osasuna as they did create chances the boys missed it (i didn't watch the game i saw the highlight and Benzema was Benzema )

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Is it just me, or has Jose Mourinho been out of the media spotlight for the past couple of weeks or so? Finally realised he's old tricks are boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans