Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Maradona37

Ronaldo defence post below

I think CR might be getting a bit too much shit on here, as you'd expect on a Barca forum of course.

I agree he's not as talented as the others but he's had an incredible longevity being a terrific goalscorer. And it's not a longevity like say Scholes, Milner och Joaquin who just keeps playing at a good level, but CR was always at the top in his prime years scoring goals and winning titles. Also compare it to Mbappe who has been one of the worlds best for many years now and scored a lot of goals but his legacy is still just winning that WC, otherwise his career is mostly irrelevant, so it's not only about scoring goals either.

There are possibly even more players ahead of CR when comparing prime to prime than the holy trinity, but that would only be for a couple of seasons, then they are overtaken by CR.

CR was a limited player but he did the absolute most of it and reached his maximum level and kept it for a loong time (compare it to likes of Dinho and Neymar). CR absolutely milked his talent dry so there are no questions about what he could or couldn't do, it's all on paper.

That's why I think CR is definitely top 4 and maybe top 3 depending on what you want to compare. Maradona played like a third of the amount of minutes Messi and Ronaldo played, so you could even consider coked up Maradona one of those 'what could've been'. But at the same time you don't hear peers describing CR the way they do Maradona, Pele or Messi.
Agree with plenty of that other than me not thinking that 'longevity and career' is enough to leapfrog so many players that he ends up in the big four. Other players (than the big three) have too much of a talent advantage for him to override. I'd say 7th or 8th is fair based on his level of talent combined with all the other factors.

But it's your opinion and I respect it a lot. Just wouldn't agree fully. Like I say though you make good points in the rest of the post.

Maradona37

Putting CR ahead of Maradona is blasphemy to the sport itself.
I honestly cannot understand it. I know some smart guys do it and they do it with the caveat that Maradona had far less longevity and fucked his career a lot.

However, surely anyone can see he was in a completely different stratosphere of talent? Maradona was an alien, as talented as Messi himself. He had more ability in his little toe than Ronaldo has in his entire body. And it's not like he burned brightly for 10 minutes - he won a World Cup with as close to a single-handed performance as we have seen and won Serie A and the UEFA Cup with Napoli (back when the UEFA Cup was very strong and a serious competitor with the European Cup).

He did enough in the game that - when allied to his vast talent advantage - it puts him wayyy above Cristiano Ronaldo. Unlike others I don't really care much about longevity - plus Ronaldo has been finished since he left Real Madrid anyway, let's be honest. He's reverted to a normal level player. That was over six years ago now.

Maradona37

Amongst other things, he's the dribble master.

I love dribbling, it's the most exciting thing in football, Maybe I am biased towards it too because I am diminutive and a very good dribbler myself (at my infinitely lower level). I just love watching dribblers - whether it's economical dribblers like Messi or flashy ones with tricks like Ronaldinho.

And what makes him so good is that - unlike some other very gifted dribblers - he knows exactly when to and not to release the ball.

soul24rage

The World Cup is the most beautiful trophy of all time lifted only by the Greatests of all Time.

FzpGvNNXwAYVMdk

Home of Barca Fans