Luis Enrique

Bran the Greenseer

Should we be worried about the defense or not? Seems like Masche may be what hold the team defense together. Either that or pique has gone back to his old ways. Hope it's not the latter.

Pique was fine, Verm refused to mark anyone of their two goals and Alba let them run rampant on the left side. I'll chalk alba up to Pre season and Verm isnt a starter so we'll be fine.

BerkeleyBernie

Should we be worried about the defense or not? Seems like Masche may be what hold the team defense together. Either that or pique has gone back to his old ways. Hope it's not the latter.

Nah. Team shape was FAR more offensive than in a real match. You're not going to see that once the regular team is back on the pitch.

V

vigneshFCB

In my opinion, one aspect of Luis Enrique's impact is very underrated - the return of effective possession. Barcelona seem to be so much more direct and dangerous and play more risky throughballs these days, yet they still dominate in possession more than than they did under Tito and Martino. For example, they had 70% possession against Fiorentina (a REALLY GOOD possession team in their own right) while playing quite direct towards goal. Actually, I think we have more possession in La Liga than we did under Guardiola. All this without peak Xavi and peak Iniesta.

BBZ8800

I guess door for first team is too high, but they are getting old, just earned treble, transfer ban(haha....) so now is perfect time to prepare rebuilding.

It can't be a perfect moment for rebuilding if we are facing Messi's final 4-5-6 years here.
A perfect moment for rebuilding will be when Messi will be gone.

Then we can do whatever (experiments) we want...

F

Flavia

Don't put too much stock into Barcelona's preseason
Josep Capdevila says be patient in the bad times and stay calm in the good ones
Josep Capdevila
| 3.8.2015 | 13:36h.

It's true that I don't know Luis Enrique personally. But I'd say he will be looking forward to the end of preseason and the Super Cups, and the start of the league season. Because I have the impression that, at least for a team like Barcelona, preseason is nothing short of an ordeal.

In these games, the club has a lot to lose and little to gain. And it is at a disadvantage in several respects. For example, they often face teams - especially the English - long before La Liga starts - and, therefore, sides more prepared to begin. Also in the past few years, for one reason or another, they are usually missing a lot of players. Bravo, Alves, Mascherano, Mathieu, Adriano, Douglas, Aleix Vidal, Turan, Messi and Neymar. Yes, you heard right. 10 players. And none of these 10 could play on Sunday in Florence. And usually around five or six of these would be starting for the club in key games towards the end of the season.

After Fiorentina, Barcelona have one more friendly, against Roma in the Joan Gamper on Wednesday. Then the European Super Cup game and two Spanish Super Cup matches. And what have these games served to show? Very little, I think. Whatever Ter Stegen's done, Luis Enrique will already be clear over what he wants to do with the two goalkeepers. Sergi Roberto and Marc Bartra tests at right-back are more out of obligation than necessity, especially if Adriano does not leave. And of one of the questions, should he keep Munir or Sandro with the squad, I would say he had already resolved. And in case anyone doubted what Luis Enrique thought of Sergi Samper, it's now more clear that he doesn't count on him much.

Therefore, we must be very careful when making judgements about what happens in preseason. What we've seen these days is not even remotely what the club will be like during the season. For better or worse - it will be a very different team. So be patient in bad times and calm in good ones. There no rush. Not now, not later. Last season should serve as a lesson. At the start of January, remember, nobody believed they'd win anything.

His comment on Samper is what I fear. I'd also really like to know if LE actually rates Gumbau.

serghei

I'd also really like to know if LE actually rates Gumbau.

He probably rates him more than he rates Samper, but I don't think he'll get minutes. Samper also won't, most likely. However, we've all seen little of Samper, compared with Lucho, who seens him in trainings quite a lot.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

He probably rates him more than he rates Samper, but I don't think he'll get minutes. Samper also won't, most likely. However, we've all seen little of Samper, compared with Lucho, who seens him in trainings quite a lot.

I've seen most of b matches last season, and that's why I don't understand why Enrique might rate Gumbau higher.

F

Flavia

Maybe Gumbau is more physical, we know Lucho is into fitness and strenght.

It's puzzling, as Adama is like that, but Enrique doesn't care for him. I'm not sure what it is. I'm still hoping some journo asks him.

xXKonan

I wonder if it's a case where Lucho doesn't approve of players who think they are Entitled to a first team spot? (Adama,Halilović). But I do wonder what's the deal with Gumbau and Samper though, Samper as far as I know doesn't have any Attitude or entitlement issues.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Lucho is consistent in that players who don't play in preseason are not counted on...which means its unlikely Samper stays with the first team

Sale with buyback looks probable, I.e. new Masia way

khaled_a_d

Maybe Gumbau is more physical, we know Lucho is into fitness and strenght.

While I don't rate Samper as much people do here and think he is the most overrated youngster we had in the last 5 years .I would still rate him way better than Gambua
That said ,the only area that Gambua is superior over Samper is defense ,he is much better defender than Samper as a midfielder . May be Lucho feel the need of someone like than and that is why Gambua is getting minutes
With that said ,if this was the case we should have got Grimaldo or renewed Patric .both could offer almost same defensive abilities with better technique

silvia

It can't be a perfect moment for rebuilding if we are facing Messi's final 4-5-6 years here.
A perfect moment for rebuilding will be when Messi will be gone.

Then we can do whatever (experiments) we want...

That is so sure!! I mean it is not like we have to, we are bound to because of transfer ban. Of course messi has dozens of trophies to win more at barca,

Darko

I have a feeling Lucho just wanted to test Gumbau, he already knows how good Samper is so he doesn't have to play him to find out. Just a thought, considering we all know Samper is talented and Lucho praised him before.

khaled_a_d

I have a feeling Lucho just wanted to test Gumbau, he already knows how good Samper is so he doesn't have to play him to find out. Just a thought, considering we all know Samper is talented and Lucho praised him before.

Then why everyone else played more?

Home of Barca Fans