Manchester United

JamDav1982

Well you literally started saying what the Man Utd fans think of their signings so care enough to point it out.

We will see if their defence improves indeed.

Evans is nowhere near the level any time aspiring to get to where Man Utd want to be.

What are the Man Utd fans predicting this season?

ajnotkeith

Well we will see.

I go by what I think of the player. I don't really care what Man United fans or Bayern fans think. Ultimately they are a mix of different people with different opinions, like you and I are. Some Bayern fans being upset to lose De Ligt proves nothing, and definitely doesn't guarantee he'll do well.

You slag Evans but at times he actually put in decent performances. I don't rate him but he's a meme because of his age and them signing him back.

They can be excited all they like, but there's a fine line between exctiement and delusion. Ultimately this is a fanbase who get 'excited' every pre season, and it ALWAYS ends in tears, so why will this time be any different?

That's what Man United fans do - they get giddy and predict a great season, then it all goes to shit and they're left reeling.

I've predicted their struggles for a decade now and I see no reason to change my mind this season. There's plenty of clubs in the league with better players and most importantly, far better coaches.
De Ligt hasn't set the world alight after Ajax (no pun intended) but seeing that Ten Hag has managed to already win 2 trophies, one against City, with that awful squad, I think it's fair to think that even some decent signings like De Ligt will make them much better.

They were playing with genuine mid table level XIs for a lot of last season and having professional younger players like De Ligt or Mazraoui or even Zirksee is going to prove to be a big difference.

Of course, challenging for the Prem or the CL is a long way to go yet. The club was sinking when Rangnick was appointed and nowhere close to challenging for any top prize. They need a lot of work to be able to challenge City but they are on a positive trajectory.

ajnotkeith

I think they got lucky that season too, Underlying metrics said they should have finished about 6th, not 3rd, they got outplayed a lot.

The whole thing about Man United is they get outplayed a lot and cannot play cohesive, possession football, but they tend to manage to score goals from nothing here and there, individual magic that isn't sustainable really. They seem to rack up more points than their performances deserve, even when they were good. It sounds daft but they have this supernatural ability to get more points in a season than their performances warrant. Even last season they deserved to finish about 15th, not 8th.

So they might do better in pure points totals this season, but I doubt their performances will improve much. I like you a lot Birdy and rate you as a poster, but I do think you give Man United too much credit often.

However, you'd likely say the same about me in the opposite direction, as I acknowledge I am biased against them as I despise them more than any other club.
It's true but Ten Hag has shown some really positive signs as a manager despite the team being poor for most of last season. The planning for the final with City was truly world-class stuff. Preparing the false 9 system with Bruno a few weeks before the final specifically and then beating City well with it showed me he has the tactical knowledge and the creativity to be a really good managerial mind.

It also takes bravery to do that and to bench a big money signing in Hojlund for such an important game.

Their team is the main thing holding them back but they're trying to fix the mess gradually, shifting some players and bringing in some better, more well rounded players.

Maradona37

De Ligt hasn't set the world alight after Ajax (no pun intended) but seeing that Ten Hag has managed to already win 2 trophies, one against City, with that awful squad, I think it's fair to think that even some decent signings like De Ligt will make them much better.

They were playing with genuine mid table level XIs for a lot of last season and having professional younger players like De Ligt or Mazraoui or even Zirksee is going to prove to be a big difference.

Of course, challenging for the Prem or the CL is a long way to go yet. The club was sinking when Rangnick was appointed and nowhere close to challenging for any top prize. They need a lot of work to be able to challenge City but they are on a positive trajectory.
Being a flukey cup team is completely different to doing well in the league. They were a cup team in the 80s too and got nowhere near the title for the entire decade.

We'll see, personally I am not a fan of any of those players. I see no reason to think those players are gonna turn them into a top three or four team.

It's not just about that anyway - it's their tactics - you can fill their team with superstars and they STILL play dogshit football, can't control games, lose the ball all the time, concede chances. It's the way their club is built in this day and age. Every player they sign almost turns into a donkey who can't do most things right on the park.

Why are they on a positive trajectory? They finished 8th last season and people are saying they're on a positive traj BEFORE A BALL HAS BEEN KICKED, just based on 'winning the transfer window' without any of these players having done anything for them yet.

I cannot believe what I am reading. This smells of 2016 when Pogba, Ibra etc were gonna make them title contenders. Was having the same debates then mate with people saying they were going the right way (y)

I don't think they're on a positive trajectory at all, and they need to do far far more than sign a few Bayern cast offs and some Dutch kid to prove it.

We'll see though. Suspect I will be proved right.

Maradona37

It's true but Ten Hag has shown some really positive signs as a manager despite the team being poor for most of last season. The planning for the final with City was truly world-class stuff. Preparing the false 9 system with Bruno a few weeks before the final specifically and then beating City well with it showed me he has the tactical knowledge and the creativity to be a really good managerial mind.

It also takes bravery to do that and to bench a big money signing in Hojlund for such an important game.

Their team is the main thing holding them back but they're trying to fix the mess gradually, shifting some players and bringing in some better, more well rounded players.
We have had this debate before - it wasn't his great tactical play that won them the Cup Final. City were hungover, United scored from a mistake from a long ball, thena beautiful second goal.

The second half they sat back and let City have the ball and invited them to break them down.

Either way, CUP FOOTBALL HAS NO BEARING ON LEAGUE FOOTBALL. How many times do i have to say that?

ajnotkeith

Being a flukey cup team is completely different to doing well in the league. They were a cup team in the 80s too and got nowhere near the title for the entire decade.

We'll see, personally I am not a fan of any of those players. I see no reason to think those players are gonna turn them into a top three or four team.

It's not just about that anyway - it's their tactics - you can fill their team with superstars and they STILL play dogshit football, can't control games, lose the ball all the time, concede chances. It's the way their club is built in this day and age. Every player they sign almost turns into a donkey who can't do most things right on the park.

Why are they on a positive trajectory? They finished 8th last season and people are saying they're on a positive traj BEFORE A BALL HAS BEEN KICKED, just based on 'winning the transfer window' without any of these players having done anything for them yet.

I cannot believe what I am reading. This smells of 2016 when Pogba, Ibra etc were gonna make them title contenders. Was having the same debates then mate with people saying they were going the right way (y)

I don't think they're on a positive trajectory at all, and they need to do far far more than sign a few Bayern cast offs and some Dutch kid to prove it.

We'll see though. Suspect I will be proved right.
Because they've won 2 trophies under his management already whilst not winning one since Mourinho in the Europa League prior to that. League performances have been variable (great first season and poor the 2nd) but its asinine to say that the 2 trophies don't matter when they've hardly won any in the last decade.

They actually haven't been a good cup team for a while and if anything were doing better in the league, some 2nd place finishes over the last years, never any trophies.

Maradona37

Proven right on what?

What is the prediction for them this season?
Proven right on saying they'll be an embarrassment most seasons since Ferguson left. Even seasons they thought they were gonna challenge for the title.

Last August they believed they were ready to take the step to title challengers cos they finished third. I predicted tears. They ended up 8th.

Get real. They are a finished club who will get nowhere near Man City or Arsenal, and probably even struggle to make top four.

They have a clown for a keeper, signed some guys who are yet to impress, are relying on half-fit Shaw and a decent but not great Dalot at full-back, they have no good midfielders other than mainoo, they have Bruno who can create but treats the ball like a hand grenade, Hojlund who is poor technically. Duds like Sancho, rashford, Antony, Diallo who has never done anything but they are pinning all their hopes on, Garnacho who is raw, a suspect collecton of centres backs.

I am gonna say they'll be 6th, 5th on a good day.

JamDav1982

So them finishing 5th is complete failure and definitely no progression.

Thought was a bolder prediction than that to be honest.

Fair chance where they are it will be them v Chelsea/Spurs for 4th would say. So 5th could happen.

Maradona37

Because they've won 2 trophies under his management already whilst not winning one since Mourinho in the Europa League prior to that. League performances have been variable (great first season and poor the 2nd) but its asinine to say that the 2 trophies don't matter when they've hardly won any in the last decade.

They actually haven't been a good cup team for a while and if anything were doing better in the league, some 2nd place finishes over the last years, never any trophies.
I have told you, cup finals mean fuck all in doing well in the league. In the 80s they were a cup team and nowhere in the league.

They got some second places they didn't deserve due to De Gea heroics (remember what Mourinho said about it being his biggest achievement getting second) and I think the other one was the covid season.

Overall, they have been shite for years, yet you lot are trying to convince me I am talking crap for saying they will struggle again. It is the absolute height of gaslighting.

ajnotkeith

I don't think many people think they will challenge for the title. The current winner has 4-peated the title and looks to have no signs of slowing down whilst Arsenal are further ahead for now. United are clearly a club with long-running serious problems - that won't be fixed in a season or two.

Repairing such a broken club doesn't happen quickly and needs time. They have much better ownership now and a better manager than they've had for a while.

Even finishing 5th can be progress if they move towards a better style of play and do well in the cups again.

Maradona37

So them finishing 5th is complete failure and definitely no progression.

Thought was a bolder prediction than that to be honest.

Fair chance where they are it will be them v Chelsea/Spurs for 5th would say.
I am being kind with 5th. A lot of their fans are predicting 3rd.

If they truly implode it could easily be 8th again. But like I say they have this supernatural ability to pick up more points than they deserve. Even in seasons they fall apart completely they never finish lower than mid-table.

Last season they honestly performed slightly above relegation level and finished 8th. They win more points than their performances warrant often.

JamDav1982

Proven right on saying they'll be an embarrassment most seasons since Ferguson left. Even seasons they thought they were gonna challenge for the title.

Last August they believed they were ready to take the step to title challengers cos they finished third. I predicted tears. They ended up 8th.

Get real. They are a finished club who will get nowhere near Man City or Arsenal, and probably even struggle to make top four.

They have a clown for a keeper, signed some guys who are yet to impress, are relying on half-fit Shaw and a decent but not great Dalot at full-back, they have no good midfielders other than mainoo, they have Bruno who can create but treats the ball like a hand grenade, Hojlund who is poor technically. Duds like Sancho, rashford, Antony, Diallo who has never done anything but they are pinning all their hopes on, Garnacho who is raw, a suspect collecton of centres backs.

I am gonna say they'll be 6th, 5th on a good day.

So you are right when they finish 2nd and win a cup?

More or less right if they dont win the league then.. which has not been bold calls really in last 10 years.

Maradona37

I don't think many people think they will challenge for the title. The current winner has 4-peated the title and looks to have no signs of slowing down whilst Arsenal are further ahead for now. United are clearly a club with long-running serious problems - that won't be fixed in a season or two.

Repairing such a broken club doesn't happen quickly and needs time. They have much better ownership now and a better manager than they've had for a while.

Even finishing 5th can be progress if they move towards a better style of play and do well in the cups again.
Based on what do they have better ownership? These guys haven't done anything yet, Berrada, Wilcox, Brailsford, Ashworth. They could quite easily fuck it all up.

ajnotkeith

I have told you, cup finals mean fuck all in doing well in the league. In the 80s they were a cup team and nowhere in the league.

They got some second places they didn't deserve due to De Gea heroics (remember what Mourinho said about it being his biggest achievement getting second) and I think the other one was the covid season.

Overall, they have been shite for years, yet you lot are trying to convince me I am talking crap for saying they will struggle again. It is the absolute height of gaslighting.
I think your prediction of 5th is fair enough and probably where most people would predict them to finish. But it doesn't mean they aren't moving forward as an organisation and as a team and doing things better than they have been for some time now.

Home of Barca Fans