Marc Bartra

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
He's the single worst defender at the club hands down. Would've been shipped out a long time ago if not for his roots. After getting toyed with by Januzaj the other day, Hazard had his way with him all night. That sequence in the corner early in the 2nd half was cringeworthy. Treated him like a 2 bob hooker.

He has been bad this pre-season, yes, but stop overreacting. I don't recall him ever being that bad in official games.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Terrible tonight. Sometimes he commits way too much or moves around unpredictably, his defending needs to be more stable and steadfast. It's about protecting the angle and shutting down the options the attacker has, not taking the bait and chasing him around like a fool.

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
Always wanted one of Muniesa, Fontas, Bartra to work out here, 2 of them are gone and all my hopes are on Bartra, but he needs to do a lot better. A lot.

BBZ8800

He has been bad this pre-season, yes, but stop overreacting. I don't recall him ever being that bad in official games.

I have wrote a few times, stats from any season.
Bartra almost always plays only against Cordoba and Levante.
Copy/paste from another thread, a post from March, Bartra's matches last Season:
-- 15. Elche
-- 18. Levante
-- 19. Granada

Away:
-- 7. Malaga
-- 11. Rayo
-- 14. Eibar
-- 15. Elche
-- 16. Almeria
-- 17. Deportivo
-- 19. Granada

-- he did play in a few tougher matches like:
-- Champions league (Ajax, Ajax, Apoel, Apoel, Psg home)
-- and all cup matches, plus cup match against Atletico at home

So, you see, he rarely plays against teams that cause us any troubles...
Those teams don't attack too much and he is a beast then and he easily tackles lone strikers from Levante when they come into our half. (1 attacker against 2-3 of our defenders in every duel)

He doesn't get chances against bigger teams.
And when he does, he rushes like yesterday or against Man Utd into every tackle, and he looks like a rookie schoolboy.
He makes at least 3 horrible mistakes all the time, and those mistakes are easier too see against bigger teams than against Levante:
1. he rushes into every tackle, every single time. When he fails in that tackle, he looks like in Januzaj's or in Hazard's goal, all over the place, on the wrong foot, falling to his ass etc. Again, because he rushes, and it is easy to caught him at the wrong feet
If Messi would play against Bartra, with Bartra's rushing, Bartra would probably fall down 3-4 times per match on his ass when he would rush on Messi (and when Messi would make a trick and change a direction)
2. that rushing high up the field, trying to take the ball, and if he doesn't take the ball, he opens a lot of space behind him (if it is around the box, an opponent will shoot on goal. If he rushes up the field, he is allowing them to make an easy counterattack)
3. and again, when we have the ball, he too often tries to create something and runs into the attack or deep in the opponent's half
-- if the opponents take the ball, they can create deadly counterattacks (without an offside) like yesterday a few times

He would need to take some pills to calm down, not to run like a headless chicken for every ball, and to think a little more about WHAT is his position on a field, where should he stay and play all the time, and how much space he is leaving behind his back with those silly mistakes mostly caused by that insane rushing to take every single ball.

Last edited:

EdmondDantes

I'm a little pensive, he needs to do better. I still think we can't let go of him. He's too unique, great technique, great acceleration, Barca through and trough. He'll get over this slump and improve, it needs to be soon though.

ATLBarcaFan

I have long been a fan of his, but he has looked completely outclassed on several occasions this preseason. In addition, he gave the ball away way too frequently for my liking

ronniecro

when i remember how many people said that he is real puyol successor i always laugh,he's nowhere near puyols level and never will be,he is average defender at the moment but ofcourse he has potential to be better in the future
it's clear that i'm not his biggest fan unlike almost every other barca fan,but i still think he belongs in barca just not in first 11

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Finally we got to see Bartra as RB, albeit only for a short period. Sadly, can't say I was impressed.

Home of Barca Fans