28 - Marc Bernal

Messi983

Good to see we're keeping our best youngsters. Hopefully they will all stay injury free and develop to their full potential.

khaled_a_d

Good news.

I don't like the current trajectory of him moving away as a defensive pivot and becoming more of a good box-to-box midfielder.

We'll see what the future looks like.

It seems like natural instincts to him tbh. It might be a case of a player profile, from physical and skill wise, being different from what his instincts and his mind at.
It might be changed, as he celebrated 17 just this week, and this is just his 2nd year as CDM, but it might never change and we might have to get over our desperation to find next CDM in la nasia.

soul24rage

It seems like natural instincts to him tbh. It might be a case of a player profile, from physical and skill wise, being different from what his instincts and his mind at.
It might be changed, as he celebrated 17 just this week, and this is just his 2nd year as CDM, but it might never change and we might have to get over our desperation to find next CDM in la nasia.
I concede to you. Bernal really likes to attack and get into dangerous areas. As you mentioned, hard to change a player's instinct and don't see him playing CDM in the future.

Our search for a CDM made in La Masia continues.

Porque

Pau Prim and Casado are more natural DMC but I don't see it in either. though I have a preference for Casado.

Bernal is still so young but looks like he can be a better version of Nico, which would be a solid level. Going to the Second division would be great for him on an individual level. Most of this squad infact despite the age is superior to the third division level.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Or play with a double pivot - both Bernal and Casado could play the double pivot role.

Messi983

I get what @khaled_a_d is saying, it's hard to play against natural instincts but Bernal looks like a mature and disciplined player for his age. Would I trust him a lone DM position in the first team? No. But can he do a job in a double pivot that Flick will mostly use? Yes. Clearly shouldn't be rushed as a starter like Yamal and Cubarsi but could get some minutes while still playing regularly for BA.

Very good game and two assists against Ibiza yesterday.

Porque

The first thing you see from the HL is that Bernal knows what to do very quickly in small spaces. Being able to do that higher up the pitch where the options and time is even more of a premium, is invaluable.

If he can translate that to a higher paced top tier football then he will absolutely make it.

BusiTheKing

Catalan Fabian Ruiz
Sorry but Bernal moves like a wet cloth next to a player like Ruiz. There is a glaring difference in athleticism and if we keep ignoring this we will continue to get emasculated against other top midfields.

There is big difference between having players like, say Modric or Xavi Simons or Fede Valverde or Vitinha or Zaire-Emery, who actually want to run, sprint, attack via movement and having players like Bernal or Pedri or Busquets or late Rakitic, who look like they run out of necessity. If the game is open and intense, the latter will always be eating the dust of the former.

Fermin is the first midfielder we've had in a while who is naturally geared towards attacking via movement. He's not even particularly talented but look how much a difference it makes.

Home of Barca Fans