Martin Montoya

Kohe321

To his defense, how many seasons ago was it that Martin started games regularly, or at least as regularly as Bartra is doing now?

We have been wasting his time in a BIG way, that has to be said. Poor guy is 23 and turning 24 soon, he could have moved on long ago but chose to stay. Deserve some respect for that in my opinion.

F

Flavia

The weird thing about him is that he was showing much more potential two or three years ago than he does now. I don't know why that is, I was just noticing.

It happens, more often than not players don't live up to the expectations. Just remember Assulin, Bojan, Muniesa and many others.

To his defense, how many seasons ago was it that Martin started games regularly, or at least as regularly as Bartra is doing now?

We have been wasting his time in a BIG way, that has to be said. Poor guy is 23 and turning 24 soon, he could have moved on long ago but chose to stay. Deserve some respect for that in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's been wasting Montoya's time. He's just not good enough. I also don't think Bartra will be a wc cb one day, although he is a very good defender.

Kohe321

I don't think anyone's been wasting Montoya's time. He's just not good enough. I also don't think Bartra will be a wc cb one day, although he is a very good defender.

I mean wasting his time in the sense that this exact conclusion should have been reached years ago and he should have been sent on to "greener pastures" elsewhere. Having him here as a backup for Dani has only complicated things, he has "covered" the RB position for years while not really being good enough to cover it for Barca, and so we haven't bought a replacement in all these years, and neither have we given him proper time to develop further.

We're now stuck in a very bad situation where we need to re-sign Dani Alves, which will be expensive but highly necessary, and both our backups at RB (Montoya and Douglas) are not up to the standard we require. Perhaps Montoya could be by now if he had played regularly for the past couple of seasons (perhaps on a loan ala Denis Suarez), but that hasn't happened. And this is why I feel he's been wasting time here.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

I agree, but I mean wasting his time in the sense that this exact conclusion should have been reached years ago and he should have been sent on to "greener pastures" elsewhere. Having him here as a backup for Dani has only complicated things, he has "covered" the RB position for years while not really being good enough to cover it for Barca, and so we haven't bought a replacement in all these years, and neither have we given him proper time to develop further.

We're now stuck in a very bad situation where we need to re-sign Dani Alves, which will be expensive but highly necessary, and both our backups at RB (Montoya and Douglas) are not up to the standard we require. Perhaps Montoya could be by now if he had played regularly for the past couple of seasons (perhaps on a loan ala Denis Suarez), but that hasn't happened. And this is why I feel he's been wasting time here.

I think he wasn't let go because he was promising a few years back. But he can be a good squad player, a decent player for rotation. Biggest problem of all was zubinepto getting douglas, when a replacement for Alves was really needed.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I think he wasn't let go because he was promising a few years back. But he can be a good squad player, a decent player for rotation. Biggest problem of all was zubinepto getting douglas, when a replacement for Alves was really needed.

That's on Bartomeu. Money laundering.

It's sad really. Montoya was so promising at one time.

F

Flavia

That's on Bartomeu. Money laundering.

It's sad really. Montoya was so promising at one time.
That one is on zubi and his assistants. He was the one in charge for that. Bartomeu too, as he kept zubi on the job.

Gnidrologist

Alves has stepped up his game recently. I don't know if he'll keep it up but at this point they are not even in the same league.
Offensively, when he has a good game, yes. Defensively he's not even in the league. We are essentially playing with 3 defenders and one half arsed midfielder in it's place. Good thing that the team has improved on overall pressing. It sort of obfuscates that.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Right back Martin Montoya (23), who had announced he would leave this month, will in the end stay. Plays more and no formal bid. [catradio]

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I do hope he changes his mind and signs an extension.
With transfer ban, Dani will hold the club for ransom and losing Montoya would leave no wiggling space for negotiations.

Eetu

Adormit
Bojan said:
Well, I do hope he changes his mind and signs an extension.

With transfer ban, Dani will hold the club for ransom and losing Montoya would leave no wiggling space for negotiations.

Doesn't he have a contract until 2018? I don't really see anyone going for the buyout.

Home of Barca Fans