Martin Montoya

Stric

A shame that he does not play more. Especially considering guys like Adriano and Douglas get his minutes.

You're overreacting. Douglas played a total of 100 minutes in the league, and 28 minutes in the cup. 27 of those league minutes were today, in a meaningless game after we'd won the league. Started only once.

Montoya started and finished 6 full games, was subbed in twice, and subbed off twice.

Adriano might be a different story, but I'm sure many would say he's a better player than Montoya, so in that case it would make sense.

Last edited:

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
You're overreacting. Douglas played a total of 100 minutes in the league, and 28 minutes in the cup. 27 of those league minutes were today, in a meaningless game after we'd won the league. Started only once.

Montoya started and finished 6 full games, was subbed in twice, and subbed off twice.

Adriano might be a different story, but I'm sure many would say he's a better player than Montoya, so in that case it would make sense.

I just mentioned Douglas because he played today. But in his case you are right: He did not really steal Montoya's minutes.
But Adriano played 1416 minutes the whole season while Montoya just played 910. I am a fan of Montoya and I think he does not get enough opportunities to improve and show his abilities. I actually like Adriano too but he has become such a bad player it is shocking. You cannot trust him at all in defense anymore and he also become worse on the ball.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers. I do feel sorry for Montoya but we can't let him go with Dani leaving. Maybe that's his golden opportunity?

Stric

With Alves almost certainly leaving, Montoya should really make the most out of the next six months. This might be his chance to prove himself.

Drexl

When he played regularly, he was great. I remember in the Tito season he replaced two times injured Alves against the whities(in the Super Cup and La Liga), and I loved what I've seen. The boy had lots of talent, great positioning and crosses, he was way better than Alves. Benching him and the Thiago case was what I never liked about Tito. He could be world's best right back for a decade.

Stric

When he played regularly, he was great. I remember in the Tito season he replaced two times injured Alves against the whities(in the Super Cup and La Liga), and I loved what I've seen. The boy had lots of talent, great positioning and crosses, he was way better than Alves. Benching him and the Thiago case was what I never liked about Tito. He could be world's best right back for a decade.

I agree. He was great in the SuperCup, and later in the season when Alves got injured (after playing something like 11 games in a row), Montoya did a great job replacing him. It seems that his best performances occured in that season, and after that, he was given fewer and fewer opportunities, and he declined. If he had been given a fair shot after showing what he was capable of in those instances, maybe we would have seen a completely different player develop in the meantime. Shame.

Jombi

Hopefully its not too late.

Sergi Roberto really surprised alot of us in the games he played as DM, when most of us had written him off as another Jonathan dos Santos. Hopefully Montoya can get regular playing time to prove himself next season.

Stric

I think that using Alba and Montoya together, with Montoya being the more defense-minded fullback (like Alves-Abidal reversed), could work well, because it would emphasize the strengths of both players, and minimize what they lack.

Galning

Montoya is outta here, even if he plays good after Alves (if?) leaves than he will go. He doesn't want to stay, that much is clear. Who can blame him.

Zangash

Banned
Montoya is outta here, even if he plays good after Alves (if?) leaves than he will go. He doesn't want to stay, that much is clear. Who can blame him.

If he is our consistent starter until January he'll almost certainly stay no matter how well he plays.

Galning

If he is our consistent starter until January he'll almost certainly stay no matter how well he plays.

I don't think so. The guy didn't even play when Douglas and Vermaelen made an appearance, says it all. Everybody got some playing time against Depor besides Montoya. The little relationship he had with Luis Enrique broke before Christmas.

Zangash

Banned
I don't think so. The guy didn't even play when Douglas and Vermaelen made an appearance, says it all. Everybody got some playing time against Depor besides Montoya. The little relationship he had with Luis Enrique broke before Christmas.

And how does any of that change how he'll feel if he's our consistent starter for six months? What, you think he'll say "Last season you didn't play me well and I want revenge! I'm leaving!" the moment the transfer window opens up?

Home of Barca Fans