Mehdi Benatia

Being the only quality CB who may be remotely available is probably why so many members here have jumped on the Benatia bandwagon. But the fact that board has been incompetent for so long, doesn't change the fact that any investment in player should be based on a long term vision. That's why I would rather have us invest in a less experienced player but with a higher potential like Laporte or Marquinhos (assuming he's available); 2 players who are actually 1 year younger than when Pique established himself in our XI.

As for the lack of pace issue. Usually it's not a dealbreaker when selecting a defender, but if you want to see how its absence can hurt you just revisit the Bayern-Real or Spain-Netherlands games, while bearing in mind that both of their back lines had more pace than a potential Pique-Benatia partnership. I'm not saying that a lack of pace was the only or even the main factor that led to Bayern/Spain's defeat, but it's an important one, and unless we're willing to change our playing style to suit PB then their combined lack of pace should matter to us for the same reasons; but that's assuming that Roma are willing to part with him in the first place –*which is not a given.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Being the only quality CB who may be remotely available is probably why so many members here have jumped on the Benatia bandwagon. But the fact that board has been incompetent for so long, doesn't change the fact that any investment in player should be based on a long term vision. That's why I would rather have us invest in a less experienced player but with a higher potential like Laporte or Marquinhos (assuming he's available); 2 players who are actually 1 year younger than when Pique established himself in our XI.

As for the lack of pace issue. Usually it's not a dealbreaker when selecting a defender, but if you want to see how its absence can hurt you just revisit the Bayern-Real or Spain-Netherlands games, while bearing in mind that both of their back lines had more pace than a potential Pique-Benatia partnership. I'm not saying that a lack of pace was the only or even the main factor that led to Bayern/Spain's defeat, but it's an important one, and unless we're willing to change our playing style to suit PB then their combined lack of pace should matter to us for the same reasons; but that's assuming that Roma are willing to part with him in the first place –*which is not a given.

Bayern defended extremly high, which doesn't help if you have Dante and Blunderteng at your back. Also don't forget that a substantial amount of Real's 5 goals resulted from set-pieces, which has nothing to do with pace etc.

Bayern defended extremly high, which doesn't help if you have Dante and Blunderteng at your back. Also don't forget that a substantial amount of Real's 5 goals resulted from set-pieces, which has nothing to do with pace etc.
Doesn't Barca play with a defensive high line as well? Would it have helped if Bayern had Pique & Benatia instead? How many goals did the Netherlands score from open play vs set pieces?

The fact that Bayern conceded 3/5 goals from set pieces doesn't change the fact that Bayern looked vulnerable every time Real went on the counter, and had they been as clinical in converting their chances from open play as they were from set pieces the scoreline would have been even more humiliating than it already is. Besides even if Real had scored nothing from their set pieces, their goals from open play would have been enough to get them through. Pace may not have changed the outcome for either Spain or Bayern, but it is part of the problem and it should be part of the solution.

I don't recall ever seeing Germany's defense as far up the pitch as Spain's was against Holland. Or as far up the pitch as our defense usually is.

Alarcón

I just watched German tv and they showed a scene in which Hummels and Mertesacker were at the halfway line and the full backs were even further forward. They definitely played a high line until they scored 1 or 2 goals.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I just watched German tv and they showed a scene in which Hummels and Mertesacker were at the halfway line and the full backs were even further forward. They definitely played a high line until they scored 1 or 2 goals.

1 instance implies they played a high line the whole match :worthy:

Cule4life

The Culest
DonAK sorry to steal your thunder but i want to make a bet. If Benatia comes to Barca i will accept any avatar or custom title or whatever for any amount of time the forum decides. Im desperate and dont care for the consequences......

F

Flavia

DonAK sorry to steal your thunder but i want to make a bet. If Benatia comes to Barca i will accept any avatar or custom title or whatever for any amount of time the forum decides. Im desperate and dont care for the consequences......

That's really desperate :p

How about you be denied to ever use a benatia avatar/sig if he comes?

Home of Barca Fans