Neymar - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria

I don't think he will, but who knows. Messi is still underrated by some people (I don't get how), and I don't believe we will see a player like him any time soon.

Those people kept quiet for a while, but reappeared after Messi missed the penalty against Chelsea. And they are the same people who say that Messi is only good thanks to Xavi and Iniesta, but are not capable to see that what makes Leo special are not his goals, but his playmaking abilities.

For example this moment is more special then any goal that he scored, but I didn't see it repeated at any television that talked about him at a given time.
messi02-rmczoxc.gif

Maria, I compared Neymar to cr7 because I think reaching his level is possible to neymar.

I agree with you..my post was more for heaver who thinks that Neymar is the best player in his position.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
heaver's got some valid points and his viewpoint seems to favor national team play over club, so that's his prerogative. Time will tell if Messi shines at NT level, and the odds stack up that he will, considering his young age and the pressure of Argentina fans to bring in a quality manager to mesh the abundant quality into a team (similar to 2008), if they haven't already, I haven't followed much of the Arg NT lately. Last I recall they had Batista doing his best to formulate a Barcelona style of play.
What has Neymar achieved at national level to say he is better than Messi either way heaver's point that Messi and Neymar are at the same level is wrong.

Pepe Silvia

What has Neymar achieved at national level to say he is better than Messi either way heaver's point that Messi and Neymar are at the same level is wrong.
I was referring to his overall position on NT vs Club level, not in his comparisons of Neymar to Messi. That I've already stated is not even close.

Kerrybai

I was referring to his overall position on NT vs Club level, not in his comparisons of Neymar to Messi. That I've already stated is not even close.

I don't like judging a player by his national team performances. Some players get lucky and have great teamates at NT level while others dont. Look at George Best for example. He could never really shine at NT because of where he was born. Messi plays for a great footballing nation but if certain weaknesses are not addressed then he wont be able reach a world cup final etc.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
I don't like judging a player by his national team performances. Some players get lucky and have great teamates at NT level while others dont. Look at George Best for example. He could never really shine at NT because of where he was born. Messi plays for a great footballing nation but if certain weaknesses are not addressed then he wont be able reach a world cup final etc.
This.

Pepe Silvia

You are preaching to the choir here. I'm of the opinion that it's minimally important how one performs at NT level. I was simply saying that if that one guy heaver had his opinion based on NT > Club (as many many others do), that's his prerogative.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I do think it's fair to say Messi needs to prove more on the national level to be in the GOAT discussion.

Blaming him for Argentina's failings is insanity, if he retired from international football tomorrow it would tarnish his image much. Di Stefano never played in a World Cup and I would argue he's a top 5 player. But the question is still there.

We aren't talking about a Best or a Weah who played with scrubs internationally. Argentina is utterly dysfunctional and imbalanced, but there's talent. I'd like to see Messi stand out more, he has plenty of time left, but while he's rarely been bad for Argentina, but he's never really had his moment of glory either. Even if he never wins the world cup, which I'm afraid is possible with the amount of problems the AFA has, he still needs his classic World Cup story.

It also does stand out that Messi's Barcelona teammates formed the core of a World Cup winning side.

I refuse to ignore international football completely. When all is said and done we remember the World Cup most of all.

heaver

I do think it's fair to say Messi needs to prove more on the national level to be in the GOAT discussion.

Blaming him for Argentina's failings is insanity, if he retired from international football tomorrow it would tarnish his image much. Di Stefano never played in a World Cup and I would argue he's a top 5 player. But the question is still there.

We aren't talking about a Best or a Weah who played with scrubs internationally. Argentina is utterly dysfunctional and imbalanced, but there's talent. I'd like to see Messi stand out more, he has plenty of time left, but while he's rarely been bad for Argentina, but he's never really had his moment of glory either. Even if he never wins the world cup, which I'm afraid is possible with the amount of problems the AFA has, he still needs his classic World Cup story.

It also does stand out that Messi's Barcelona teammates formed the core of a World Cup winning side.

I refuse to ignore international football completely. When all is said and done we remember the World Cup most of all.

;)

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb

Players like George Best Ryan giggs etc will not be considered great just because they never played at the WC,its unfair to judge career's taking the WC into account.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Players like George Best Ryan giggs etc will not be considered great just because they never played at the WC,its unfair to judge career's taking the WC into account.

Saying the WC doesn't count is just as bad as saying only national football counts.

What about the great players who, for a variety of reasons, never stuck with a club for very long? Don't forget club football is a business and before the 90s talent was much more spread out.

Today because there's such an intense concentration of players in wealthy clubs, it's far easier for players from small countries to be recognized even if they come from a mediocre national team. But that doesn't discount national football completely, especially when the discussion in places like this are very euro-centric.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
Saying the WC doesn't count is just as bad as saying only national football counts.

What about the great players who, for a variety of reasons, never stuck with a club for very long? Don't forget club football is a business and before the 90s talent was much more spread out.
I honestly think the 90s was a great era of football, I really loved that era. To me it's actually the 80s and 90s that were simply prime and electrifying!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I honestly think the 90s was a great era of football, I really loved that era. To me it's actually the 80s and 90s that were simply prime and electrifying!

I mean I was young so it's easy for me to glorify them but I feel like there was more competition back then.

The past two World Cups were certainly better than the 1990 World Cup though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans