Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I fear Romeu might be caught lacking in terms of speed... he's slowed down considerably after his injury last season.

zanela

I fear Romeu might be caught lacking in terms of speed... he's slowed down considerably after his injury last season.

That's my primary concern, as well. He is a strong tackler, comfortable on the ball(good passing and first touch), persistent in closing down, and strong enough to hold off his man. But to combat his weakness, he'll 've to raise his positional discipline.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well Makelele didn't have blinding speed and he was tiny(though ridiculously monstrous) but was one of the best DMs of all time. Romeu is only 19, he'll get better for sure.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Was it a serious injury?

He was out for around 4 months or so, and after it they moved him to CB because he'd lost his speed (and because Fontás had been moved to the first team).

I'm glad to hear that he seems to have done well in Chelsea

jamrock

he was never that fast in the first place, so i don't see that he was lost much pace, and he almost never played CB for the B team, when he return from injury in the last part of the he was back to his DM position and only played CB an rare occasions, has fontas was pretty much always with the B team and when he wasn't gomez or armanda are whatever his name is would partner Bartra.

In fact Barca B run to finish coincided with the return of Him and thiago to midfield in the last part of the season

Yugi

Romeu, Toral, Ignasi Miquel and Bellerin were interviewed by RAC1 today
AeegHBeCMAA0YLb.jpg:large

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas was delighted with Oriol Romeu's performance in victory over Wolves.

AVB gave the Spanish youngster a chance yesterday and was delighted with the response.

"He has been doing quite well. It is not that we are unhappy with the players who have played in that position, Raul [Meireles] and [John Mikel] Obi, they have been doing well for the team as well," Villas-Boas pointed out.

"Oriol is not a player we have to teach how to behave in that position. He was educated in the best school in the world and today showed his character and personality. He receives the ball under pressure and always chooses the best option. He's a player you can count on for the benefit of the team."
I agree, didn't put a foot wrong last night. Hell, he's not played poorly once, even though he hasn't played against harder teams or in any of our tougher games. Which says to me it's about time he plays in some more serious games, Mikel hasn't justified being continually played there and Meireles is better suited playing further up. Romires should play together more regularly.

jamrock

chelsea were shitm but according to reports he was the best midfielder on show.

bring him home, since masch is now a permanent CB, though it looks pep wants keita to be the back up are the way things have been going this season first choice dmed

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Romeu was pretty much our best player, not just best midfielder. The guy doesn't play bad, even when we lose. He really should just start every game now IMO, he's already more adept at the defensive midfield role than Mikel. I'd like to hope he turns out awesome and rejects Barca after the 2 years is up and go back there in his mid 20's. It's another Cesc instance, he's definitely going to go back but it'd be good if he stayed for a good amount of years.

Home of Barca Fans