Oriol Romeu (loaned to Girona)

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

Glad.

The addition of Oriol will allow Xavi to play extra formations he couldn't have without him, whilst also bringing extra tactical strategies to the team.

The other options mentioned as Busi's replacement would have been disastrous. Bar Brozo they were not much better than Romeu, but would have cost 6 to 10 times as much and stunk the place out 5 times as long.

Bullets dodged. We go again next season at CDM. Now for Cancelo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Considering how Xavi had a hard-on for playing Alonso in nearly every European game even if he was shit it wouldn't surprise me to see him pull off something crazy again with Romeu by benching some other starter lol.

Hope he's merely a rotation option and nothing more.

BJJ

Considering how Xavi had a hard-on for playing Alonso in nearly every European game even if he was shit it wouldn't surprise me to see him pull off something crazy again with Romeu by benching some other starter lol.

I would be very surprised if he's a regular starter. I can only see him as a bench option. Nothing else.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was like a Quasimodo of sorts 13 years ago but lo and behold...lol

Prophecies from this thread do come true

Andresito

Staff member

Clear difference between Alonso and Romeu though. Both are subpar players to begin with, and Alonso was at his best as a wingback but played LB and CB for us.
At least with Romeu there's a clear job instruction for him, he's a pure DM and we have nobody else with that profile. He won't be asked to be something he's not as everyone knows his limitations.

Will be interesting to see what effect Romeu will have on the other midfielders. He's not here to get the glory, but to elevate the others and allow them to have more freedom, a babysitter basically. The question is however; will a player with the right profile but with a mediocre ability make the team better or will a player with a different profile (Frenkie/Gundo) who is close to world class be better at DM.

Home of Barca Fans