2 - Pau Cubarsí

jamrock

He's definitely got talent, but Xavi is gassing him too much.

I don't like a 16/17 year old at CB for 90 minutes.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He just reads the game really well which is the first thing you have to be impressed by for a debutant central defender. We see the young kids perform higher up the pitch where you aren’t as vulnerable to being punished by errors. So while the composure is obviously something we see in a lot of the young La Masia players anyway, it’s even more than that - his positional awareness, coupled to forward passes to evade pressure & start attacks - he had a direct hand in 2/4 goals

Defensively, his phyical tools are obviously more impressive than Eric but its the interventions he anticipates so consistently that is mature for a player of his age. I think there was one moment where he wasn’t in the right position throughout the match, on Mayoral’s late chance otherwise he was the key ball distributor on a day where the team continued to struggle dealing with the high press. Won every duel he had making a formidable pairing with Araujo in the center of defense

Pau ended the match failing to make a single error - his passes appear to have the potential to be a great weapon when you expect to see that more from a DM, or say a young Pique. Better still than the improvements we are sure to see physically and tactically in a player a decade away from his prime

Probably grows taller than his current 1.85 too

JohnN

Wouldnt he be better at that DM position than Crhis, we is not agile at all and worse on the ball?

Porque

Wouldnt he be better at that DM position than Crhis, we is not agile at all and worse on the ball?

It's a good question. I think he is more adaptable. But at 17 it may be a question of trust. There would have to be a learning and adaption phase.

That being said, Christ has a 94% success rate. He is the highest pass completionist in the squad infact. So he has some merit to be there when we are not facing tier 1 or fast press sides.

The second goal (I think it was 2) yesterday was mostly down to his run and understanding of opportunity.

Home of Barca Fans