Raphael Varane

F

Flavia

oh, he faced messi alone :lol:

I get you hate rm, so do I. But take your biased glasses off for a moment. The guy is very, very good. Only time will tell if he'll keep this form, but if you saw the last clasicos, you cannot deny he played very well against Messi and Barça. And on top of that, he also scored 2x. None of our cbs are better than him right now, except maybe Puyol. If he was a Barça player, I bet you'd be saying he is awesome.

I wouldn't pay attention to the doubters of Varane's talent here. It's the perfect example of when bias crosses the line and becomes stupidity.
Yep.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It's amazing (and annoying if your team plays against him) that he steps up even MORE during the big games and pulls out unbelievably amazing performances as a CB. His defensive displays against Barca have been downright amazing, let alone the 2 goals he's scored. So far, he hasn't had one bad game.

K

Karnivore

Don't shoot me but imo on current form he already is the best central defender in the world

Hardly a big statement to make either - the quality of centre-halves around Europe right now is awful compared to 3-4 years ago.

Barça was interested in Real Madrid central defender Raphael Varane before he signed with Real Madrid. His buyout clause is 30M [md]

:(

Technically we CAN still get him..

Make it happen!

:rosell:

Btw, they signed him in the summer of 2011, right? When we spent 30m on Sanchez :(

Last edited:

spark

Welbeck matched him physically and speed wise because hes young and not 35. Drogba also said a few years ago Yaya's performance at CB was the best he faced. Clearly in Drogba's mind if you can match him physically and tussle while coming away with the ball cleanly, he will praise you. He hasnt been flawless. Its the kind of thing people were saying about Hummels at Euro 2012 until Germany Italy happened. Its basically setting up players to fail, the minute a mistake the player makes is actually capitalized on you get people saying the opposite. For all intents and purposes he should have been sent off against United for a last man foul against Evra but nothing was called. Because it wasn't called in that game doesn't mean he didn't commit an error. Luckily he has a good head on his shoulders and admits his mistakes after games, like against Georgia. That attitude to keep on improving and learning despite all the smoke people are trying to blow up his behind is what separates him from most young talents.

Yeah, he's great, but not perfect. A bit overrated IMO (not super overrated though, just a bit).

I gotta say though, credit to him for pushing Pepe out of RM's starting lineup at the age of 19.

Last edited:
I understand the hype though. As pointed out earlier great defenders bloom in their mid-20's. He's 5 years ahead.
Also, he was transferred to Real Madrid after one single season in professional football, which saw his Ligue 1 side Lens finish 19th. He was a complete unknown before the move, not talked about in the media, and the only people that rated him were the ones who saw him play for Lens, which is not a lot :p. Much credit to Zidane for getting eyes on him.

I dont think he was a unknown in france, Man Utd were inches away from securing him last year, its just no one realised he would establish himself in the way he has recently

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Football Manager knew he was going to be God.

Ive said it before but those guys at Sports Interactive do have their scouting at a high level. A lot of top talents did turn out to be very good. Another example; Veratti when he was playing at Pescara, he has been touted as a big talent with high potential for yeard in FM. Loved him at my Tottenham side.

There were vague rumours saying United made an approach in February 2011 I think, amid interest from Arsenal and Chelsea. Credits to their scouts if thats true. Still the guy never played in Ligue 2 and had 23 L1 matches before he was sold to RM. He hadn't even begun making a name for himself before he was off to RM, so in that sense he was a complete unknown, at least that's why i put it this way.

JackaL

Great defender, looks already like he will be among the best in his position. If he can keep improving without any injuries, I'm sure nothing can stop him.

Home of Barca Fans