Samuel Umtiti

George_Costanza

Honestly i wouldn't even be suprised if Umtiti would think he can get back his spot at Barca and get the WC ticket that way.

If he was in it for the money only he'd sit out his contract or try to push Barca into paying his remaining salary and then get into whatever club that still offers good money but instead he's opting to stay.

In caps where you got it wrong and Umtiti got it right.

MTL_Barca

In caps where you got it wrong and Umtiti got it right.

I mean there certainly would be clubs taking him somewhere and keep paying him serious money. A guy like Umtiti isn't just dropping from Barca to amateur league no matter how shit he plays.

So straight up for money he would've been better off keeping his old contract until 2023, pocket the 16M a year or whatever we were paying him and then take whatever offer may arrive from Qatar, USA, Turkey etc.

The reason he's not doing that is probably the same reason he didn't even accept any loan offers: because he seriously thinks he belongs to an elite club.

ajnotkeith

We can sit and write here from our phones and computers but the reality is, none of us know what it is like to have your dreams shattered and elite level career essentially finished because of something out of your control.

We don't know what it is like to be one of the best defenders in the world and become a 2nd division level because of terrible luck. Many of us would still be hanging onto that too. I can see how it's hard for him to retire or admit defeat when he was so good only a few years ago.

His professionalism has never been questioned and he has been working hard to get back into good shape,if the coach needs him. Him taking this deal shows he wants to play at a top level again, not to collect checks, so props to him.

MTL_Barca

We can sit and write here from our phones and computers but the reality is, none of us know what it is like to have your dreams shattered and elite level career essentially finished because of something out of your control.

We don't know what it is like to be one of the best defenders in the world and become a 2nd division level because of terrible luck. Many of us would still be hanging onto that too. I can see how it's hard for him to retire or admit defeat when he was so good only a few years ago.

His professionalism has never been questioned and he has been working hard to get back into good shape,if the coach needs him. Him taking this deal shows he wants to play at a top level again, not to collect checks, so props to him.

Normally i would agree, but Umtiti took the risk to play the world cup. Even said that himself.

Who knows how things would look now if he went for the surgery back then, so idk if that one was really entirely out of his control.

ajnotkeith

Normally i would agree, but Umtiti took the risk to play the world cup. Even said that himself.

Who knows how things would look now if he went for the surgery back then, so idk if that one was really entirely out of his control.

I'm pretty sure he has also said that the doctors told him if the surgery failed, there is a good chance he won't play football again. So there is 2 sides to it.

Home of Barca Fans