Thiago Translantara

serghei

That is a wrong IMO
Everyone own career is his own biggest interest ,not the corporation he is working at . when you leave a job for a better one do you think about the best interest of your original job or your future?
I don't get why football should be any different IMHO .
Thiago was simply not good enough to be starter /play bigger role in Barca management opinion .and he was too good for being 4th option in his opinion (and most people would agree with that) and at this stage of his career he had to look for himself

I have nothing against this capitalistic and individualistic approach in most circumstances. I can respect that. Doesn't mean I have to like it or support it in this specific case.

And yes Thiago is not as good a guy that you guys claim he is.... That idiot had no qualms to give a statement he would just as well move to Real if opportunity presents itself

He said that? Not that far off from Figo after all.

Last edited:

DrPepper

Sure, Barca made mistakes here. But let's not pretend poor Thiago was faultless in this all. Take his 60% playing time clause for instance. How exactly can a 22 year old player who missed a huge part of the season due to injury demand to be played for as much in a midfield that consisted of three multiple World and European Champions in Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas? Let's not pretend Thiago was goating it up either when he had his opportunities. Anytime he actually tried making arguments for more playing time, it looked like this:

n3uEXaX.gif

As soon as he realised he's not gonna cut it and Barca got rekt 7-0 by Bayern, he simply called it a day and chose the most convinient route and left for Pep. No desire to fight at all (seeing the state of our midfield a year after, he didn't actually need to fight). Not far from Figo, as serghei already said.

gasgas

I agree. It's always those people who say we need him back anytime he has a good performance against some mediocre team. :facepalm: :lol:

and you keep posting about gundogan, how good he is and how we need him based on performances against which top team? Augsburg?

Obiaseti

He seems to be doing great, fantastic game from him. I'm excited to see his development progress further. And regarding the way he left there is no question of fault until you start thinking about things from the fan's perspective and start buying into this notion that somehow players have to be loyal to their employers even against their own interests. As far as Thiago is concerned he made the best decision for his career considering the information he had at the time, a decision anyone would have made and one that only highlights his ambitions. The club made a conscious decision to not push for his stay which it thought was a calculated risk worth taking. In retrospect things haven't turned out so bad for either party so I don't see any reason to feel hard done by. As fans it is easy to assume that our emotional investment in our favourite clubs/players must be somehow reciprocated by the players or clubs in their actions which in reality is not the case and shouldn't be either if you think about it.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Anyone comparing thiago to figo was no idea of what figo meant to Barça :facepalm1:

We are doing just fine without him, what's all the fuss about?

The same old. No one can make a compliment about him, that those who are still bitter because he left come here to bring him down, call him a traitor and such. Seems hard to move on, I think.

F

Flavia

When people compare Thiago with Figo they mean their type of personality and attitude. That's the basis of comparison.

And that's also far off, as the club situations are also completely different. Thiago went after playing time, not easy trophies. Or he wouldn't had considered United. The argument that Barça was bad and he thought we would continue like that is pretty weak to me. Messi is here, Neymar was on the way... Everybody knew Barça would bounce back. Pedro left this season for the same reason, playing time. Is he a traitor too?

The logic I see from you and others is that if a player isn't needed or considered good enough anymore, he can go, no hard feelings. But if not... he's a traitor.

JamDav1982

And that's also far off, as the club situations are also completely different. Thiago went after playing time, not easy trophies. Or he wouldn't had considered United. The argument that Barça was bad and he thought we would continue like that is pretty weak to me. Messi is here, Neymar was on the way... Everybody knew Barça would bounce back. Pedro left this season for the same reason, playing time. Is he a traitor too?

The logic I see from you and others is that if a player isn't needed or considered good enough anymore, he can go, no hard feelings. But if not... he's a traitor.

To be fair Thiago was never considered 'not good enough or not needed' he was a player that had a great chance of being a first team starter as players were getting older.

Thiago chose to leave rather than fight for his spot when others before him like Xavi in the same situation have stayed.

That is Thiagos his right and it doesnt make him a traitor but nor did he have the same desire to succeed at Barca as past legends have.

He wasnt treated poorly by club and isnt a traitor, he was a player not getting the minutes he quite wanted and he left. Nothing more dramatic than that.

Edit - Misread your post about 'Past it or not good enough'!

Last edited:
F

Flavia

To be fair Thiago was never considered 'not good enough or not needed' he was a player that had a great chance of being a first team starter as players were getting older.

Thiago chose to leave rather than fight for his spot when others before him like Xavi in the same situation have stayed.

That is Thiagos his right and it doesnt make him a traitor but nor did he have the same desire to succeed at Barca as past legends have.

He wasnt treated poorly by club and isnt a traitor, he was a player not getting the minutes he quite wanted and he left. Nothing more dramatic than that.

I remember you saying too that one of cesc or thiago would leave, jamdav. The coach choosing like that is a way of mistreating, or at least making the player feel unwanted. Cesc here made him 4th choice, and after the tournament he had for spain u-21 he surely wasn't going to settle for that. Can't really blame him.
But it was the coach's decision, much like Enrique prefers Gumbau over Samper now. Nothing we can do. And If Samper leaves, I won't hold it against him either. It's their lives, they have no obligation to please the fans wishes.

And I agree, there's nothing dramatic, it'd be great if this subject would be dropped. He's been gone for 2 years and another treble was won. I just don't get why every time he plays well, so many get pissed off.

JamDav1982

I remember you saying too that one of cesc or thiago would leave, jamdav. The coach choosing like that is a way of mistreating, or at least making the player feel unwanted. Cesc here made him 4th choice, and after the tournament he had for spain u-21 he surely wasn't going to settle for that. Can't really blame him.
But it was the coach's decision, much like Enrique prefers Gumbau over Samper now. Nothing we can do. And If Samper leaves, I won't hold it against him either. It's their lives, they have no obligation to please the fans wishes.

And I agree, there's nothing dramatic, it'd be great if this subject would be dropped. He's been gone for 2 years and another treble was won. I just don't get why every time he plays well, so many get pissed off.

I said the club would never be able to keep all four CMs happy and they would never sell Xavi/Iniesta so one of Thiago/Cesc would go.

Cesc had a better two years than Thiago and Thiago didnt seem to want to try and win that battle but Bayern and Pep is a big thing to turn down when Pep was most likely telling him he will be focal point of his midfield.

Dont blame him at all it is his right to do what is best for his career.

The annoying thing is that Pep created the issue with the CMs then was the one to benefit from it but these things happen.

Thiago will never be back though.

Yannik

How come he did not go United, where he would have been an outright starter again

Isnt this obvious?

Bayern vs United?
Guardiola vs Moyes?
Linking with Robben & Ribery vs Linking with Young & Valencia?
Having a realistic CL chance vs Moyes, Young & Valencia?
Being an outright starter vs Being an outright starter?

What was speaking for United in the first place?

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Isnt this obvious?

Bayern vs United?
Guardiola vs Moyes?
Linking with Robben & Ribery vs Linking with Young & Valencia?
Having a realistic CL chance vs Moyes, Young & Valencia?
Being an outright starter vs Being an outright starter?

What was speaking for United in the first place?

I think of all of those Guardiola was definitely the deciding factor, absolutely. Even though Thiago later denied it, but Mazinho at one point did say he was close to joining Manchester United. What appeared to have made the difference was the alleged phone call from Guardiola.

If Guardiola wasn't at Bayern he might have made a different decision.

Home of Barca Fans