Wayne Rooney

N

nutnut

Good to see that he's staying. He can rot there as long as i care. And Manchester United doesn't stop getting attentions even with the most cheesy ways. They are and they will be the most overrated team and the greatest cup pirates in the history of football.

Since they've been in 2 of the last 3 Champs League finals and won 3 in 4 EPL's they arn't that overrated.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Since they've been in 2 of the last 3 Champs League finals and won 3 in 4 EPL's they arn't that overrated.

They are overrated when people refer to them as the 'greatest club in the world or in history'. And everyone saw how they won those 2 CLs. Specially the one against Bayern.

C

Carefree

They are overrated when people refer to them as the 'greatest club in the world or in history'. And everyone saw how they won those 2 CLs. Specially the one against Bayern.

You mean against us! They were incredibly lucky against Bayern but even more so with us.

We had Avram bloody Grant in charge, no proper right back (Playing Essien there instead), hit the post/bar twice in the second half, had a player stupidly sent off before our fifth penalty kick was missed by John Terry, which allowed them to go on to win the trophy.

Disgusts me looking back at it. They fully deserved the cup in 68, but not in 99 nor 08.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom

Well they are one of, if not the the best clubs of the current era. They have a good history before that but before the 90's (Sky Sports) they were an up and down club behind Liverpool and possibly Arsenal in English history, not to mention world football.

N

nutnut

As much as i hate manu more comes into their sucess than luck.

To win any compitition you need a bit of luck along way, lady luck was on Barcelona's side the year they won it when Barcelona beat Cheslea in the semi-final. Chelsea had something like 4 penaltys claims turned down, hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line, Barcelona down to 10 men (should have been 9) and Barcelona went through on away goals by scoring in injury time to get a draw with their only shot on target, it's football.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Well they are one of, if not the the best clubs of the current era. They have a good history before that but before the 90's (Sky Sports) they were an up and down club behind Liverpool and possibly Arsenal in English history, not to mention world football.

behind liverpool for sure, but their performances in the 50's and 60's put them a comfortable second in terms of prestige, whatever their problems were at the time.

now they're #1 in england and certainly top 4 (along with us, reial and milan) of the "modern era" for sure.

also, rooney is not on 250k, he's on 180k pre-tax which comes to 90k post-tax.

Elite-BkD

As much as i hate manu more comes into their sucess than luck.

To win any compitition you need a bit of luck along way, lady luck was on Barcelona's side the year they won it when Barcelona beat Cheslea in the semi-final. Chelsea had something like 4 penaltys claims turned down, hit the post, had a shot cleared off the line, Barcelona down to 10 men (should have been 9) and Barcelona went through on away goals by scoring in injury time to get a draw with their only shot on target, it's football.

Hitting the post and having a shot cleared off the line are not instances of bad luck, they're just occasions where Chelsea failed to score. Abidal's sending off was ridiculous, dunno how they should have been down to nine men, and as for penal claims, they did have some but also got away with loads of dirty play themselves over the two legs. I don't think Barca were too lucky, it was just a very close tie that either side could realistically have won.

zanela

The Piqué handball was the only legit peno turned down. The Alves and Abidal were 50-50 and up to the referee's discretion. We were denied one at Camp Nou for a foul on Henry. So it evens up. But ofc the Barca haters and those jealous of our treble season seem to always exaggerate the events and play down our success. Luck does/did play a part but FCBarcelona was deserving of every accolade in 08/09.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
The Piqué handball was the only legit peno turned down. The Alves and Abidal were 50-50 and up to the referee's discretion. We were denied one at Camp Nou for a foul on Henry. So it evens up. But ofc the Barca haters and those jealous of our treble season seem to always exaggerate the events and play down our success. Luck does/did play a part but FCBarcelona was deserving of every accolade in 08/09.

the lady speaks the truth.

Chainsaw

Killahead
If Fersugesn becomes a Sir by stealing a cup then Ancelotti or Guardiola must be God or Zeus at minimum. Man U is the culmination of propaganda in football. If they win something they become like GOd, if other teams win it's just a normal winning.

And If football was 89 minutes I believe they were in the second divison now. Don't really remember a team that has scored as much as goals that Manchester did in the 90 minute or injury times. First they rob Bayern in the final like that, then Chelsea. Terry could only slip right at the most crucial moment to let 'those bloody devuils win the second robbery of CL in a row, so people come now and rub those fake titles at our face as a prrof to the greatness of Manchester!! DUH!! No wonder some say that the history is written by the winners not the deserved!

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
I'm a very glad that Rooney has signed a new contract with Manchester United, I do not want him anywhere near Barcelona at all, he is just an overhyped player. I can't believe that the British media were comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo last season, he is nowhere near their level. Let Madrid or Man City waste £70 million on getting him, we'll just get Pastore and Bale for less then that thank you very much.

N

nutnut

Alex Ferguson became a Sir for winning the treble with United being the first club in English football to ever do so. If Guardiola was a British citizen and did it in English football when Barcelona won the treble then he may have gotten knighted for this achivement, Ancelotti has achieved nothing extraordinary or over a period in English football and even then he's not a British citizen to be knighted.

To answer your other point it's a penalty shootout, there was no luck involved, Manchester put the ball in the net more times than Chelsea therefore derserved the victory, what if Ronaldo never missed the penalty? On the football pitch over 120mins all the press reports the next day unanimously agreed that Manchester probably narrowly the deserved the victory over Chelsea, i agree also, justice done. In the Champions league final in 99 Manchester United had a midfield of Scholes and Keane missing yet still won the tie without controversy (beat Bayern earlyer that season in the group stage if i remember right) - But yeah they scored on 90mins to take it into extra time and scored which suggests to they wanted it more and deserved the victory, it's football man, that's the whole drama of the sport and why people love it and because of that drama it's up there in being one of the best finals along with the one where Liverpool came back from 3-0 down at half time against AC Milan to draw 3-3 and evenually win on penaltys, is that luck too? I call that champions sprit and a hunger to win, exactly what United showed in 99.

I suppose you also think the other 2 trophys United won in that season treble winning season in 99 was luck too? :icon_neutral: A football match is played over 90mins+ (not 89mins) until the referees final whisle goes, United teams in the past seem to realise this more than anyone else.

The difference is between Manchester United and all those teams you mentioned (Barcelona and Cheslea) is United have been winning none stop for 20 years at home and overseas and it's still continuing, Barcelona and Chelsea have only been doing it in the last 5 and even then Manchester United have achieved more than what these have in that period of time, once again all that is not luck.

I go back to what i said before, to win any trophy (be it league but more so Champions League) you need 'a little' luck along the way, United had that luck when they won it, Barcelona received that luck when they won it, Inter received that luck last season and the team who wins it this season will need that little luck on their side.

I'm a very glad that Rooney has signed a new contract with Manchester United, I do not want him anywhere near Barcelona at all, he is just an overhyped player. I can't believe that the British media were comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo last season, he is nowhere near their level. Let Madrid or Man City waste £70 million on getting him, we'll just get Pastore and Bale for less then that thank you very much.

It's silly comparing Rooney to Messi and Ronaldo when they play in different positions, it's like comparing Messi's qualitys to Zidane. Rooney for me is the best at what he does in the world, when you look at all Rooney's qualitys he's far ahead of any other person in his position in the world, he's the allround complete footballer who can do numious roles on the football pitch and do it at a world class level, whereas Messi is not allrounded, he's just unique in 1 or few areas.

Last edited:

10Messi10

True Barcelonista
behind liverpool for sure, but their performances in the 50's and 60's put them a comfortable second in terms of prestige, whatever their problems were at the time.

now they're #1 in england and certainly top 4 (along with us, reial and milan) of the "modern era" for sure.

also, rooney is not on 250k, he's on 180k pre-tax which comes to 90k post-tax.

is the tax take 50% in england?

dalitis8

Banned
Alex Ferguson became a Sir for winning the treble with United being the first club in English football to ever do so. If Guardiola was a British citizen and did it in English football when Barcelona won the treble then he may have gotten knighted for this achivement, Ancelotti has achieved nothing extraordinary or over a period in English football and even then he's not a British citizen to be knighted.

To answer your other point it's a penalty shootout, there was no luck involved, Manchester put the ball in the net more times than Chelsea therefore derserved the victory, what if Ronaldo never missed the penalty? On the football pitch over 120mins all the press reports the next day unanimously agreed that Manchester probably narrowly the deserved the victory over Chelsea, i agree also, justice done. In the Champions league final in 99 Manchester United had a midfield of Scholes and Keane missing yet still won the tie without controversy (beat Bayern earlyer that season in the group stage if i remember right) - But yeah they scored on 90mins to take it into extra time and scored which suggests to they wanted it more and deserved the victory, it's football man, that's the whole drama of the sport and why people love it and because of that drama it's up there in being one of the best finals along with the one where Liverpool came back from 3-0 down at half time against AC Milan to draw 3-3 and evenually win on penaltys, is that luck too? I call that champions sprit and a hunger to win, exactly what United showed in 99.

I suppose you also think the other 2 trophys United won in that season treble winning season in 99 was luck too? :icon_neutral: A football match is played over 90mins+ (not 89mins) until the referees final whisle goes, United teams in the past seem to realise this more than anyone else.

The difference is between Manchester United and all those teams you mentioned (Barcelona and Cheslea) is United have been winning none stop for 20 years at home and overseas and it's still continuing, Barcelona and Chelsea have only been doing it in the last 5 and even then Manchester United have achieved more than what these have in that period of time, once again all that is not luck.

I go back to what i said before, to win any trophy (be it league but more so Champions League) you need 'a little' luck along the way, United had that luck when they won it, Barcelona received that luck when they won it, Inter received that luck last season and the team who wins it this season will need that little luck on their side.

It's silly comparing Rooney to Messi and Ronaldo when they play in different positions, it's like comparing Messi's qualitys to Zidane. Rooney for me is the best at what he does in the world, when you look at all Rooney's qualitys he's far ahead of any other person in his position in the world, he's the allround complete footballer who can do numious roles on the football pitch and do it at a world class level, whereas Messi is not allrounded, he's just unique in 1 or few areas.

Please go to bed.

AURELIUS

Indeed. Messi is unique in just one or a few areas....... Utterly laughable. Being English it is amazing how our press particularly the tabloids love to hype up the players in England as being world beaters when their record on the international level is appalling.

Tevez is just as good as Rooney for instance if not better.

And as for Manchester United winning all those titles. That is partly because the finances suited them and the way Sky structured the Premiership ie no gate receipts for away sides bigger sponsorship deals for the top clubs meant only 3-4 clus could win the title whereas before there was more of a chance for others.

Similar to La Liga in that the new TV deals mean Barca and Real have the upper hand over all the other teams in La Liga now and should win the title each year (something even as a Barca fan that needs looking at ).

Home of Barca Fans